Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 05:32 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Most definitely was.

It is interesting to note that while Paul invents a theology of atonement based on the offering of Jesus as a human sacrifice for sin, Jesus explicitly rejects this doctrine. The gospel according to Matthew twice, in Matt 9:13 and Matt 12:7, states that Jesus said: “I will have mercy, and not sacrifice” (KJV). More modern translations, such as the RSV and NIV, update the archaic meaning of the word “will” and translate Jesus’ statements in both verses as: “I desire mercy and not sacrifice” (emphasis added). This could not be a more explicit rejection of Paul’s later teaching.
Do I understand you to be putting more credence in the words of Jesus than in the words of Paul? How can you ever be considered a Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 05:34 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Do I understand you to be putting more credence in the words of Jesus than in the words of Paul? How can you ever be considered a Christian?
FLOG me with the cat o' nine tails that I may turn from God and worship Paul, the man!! SOMEONE, SAVE ME FROM JESUS! I am being lead astray...

Old 06-17-2015, 05:45 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Then there would be no reason to believe.
Eh?...

Old 06-17-2015, 07:54 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,786,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
And how do you think we know what the Mitzvot are?..G-d transmitted then through Moses...
What do you think a commandment is?

The son of man says; "The Father who sent me commanded me what to say and how to speak and since I know His commandment is eternal life what I say is spoken just as He instructed me."

In the above verse Jesus is indicating that what God commanded the son of man to say is His commandment.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:00 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,390,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Most definitely was.

It is interesting to note that while Paul invents a theology of atonement based on the offering of Jesus as a human sacrifice for sin, Jesus explicitly rejects this doctrine. The gospel according to Matthew twice, in Matt 9:13 and Matt 12:7, states that Jesus said: “I will have mercy, and not sacrifice” (KJV). More modern translations, such as the RSV and NIV, update the archaic meaning of the word “will” and translate Jesus’ statements in both verses as: “I desire mercy and not sacrifice” (emphasis added). This could not be a more explicit rejection of Paul’s later teaching.
Hmmm it could be that you are simply not understanding Paul point. Although I agree with you that we should follow Jesus at the exclussion of everyone else if they say something contrary to what He said, I have yet to see anyone put up any verses where Paul differed from what Jesus stated.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Hmmm it could be that you are simply not understanding Paul point. Although I agree with you that we should follow Jesus at the exclussion of everyone else if they say something contrary to what He said, I have yet to see anyone put up any verses where Paul differed from what Jesus stated.
Jesus said to continue in His word, Paul didn't. End of story.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:37 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,390,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus said to continue in His word, Paul didn't. End of story.
At the exclussion of Moses and Elijiah (the law and the prophets) God said this is my beloved son (Jesus) hear Him. case closed

Old 06-18-2015, 04:47 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Quote:
Really need to READ what Paul babbled about..

Equality for Women: Paul was very anti-woman. He ordered that they not be allowed to speak in the churches (1Cor 14:34-45) and that they stay home and take care of the kids (1Timothy 5:14), and that wives should be submissive to the mastery of their husbands (Ephesians 2:12; 5:22-24 and Colossians 3:18-19).

This, of course, is in direct opposition to Jesus, who elevated women — even women of lowly status such as prostitutes, Samaritans (woman by the well), and everyday women such as Mary and Martha — to a degree unprecedented for that time. Note that in Luke 10:38-42, Jesus even chastises Martha for accepting a traditional woman’s role, while he praises her sister Mary for choosing the “better part” of more active participation. This was obviously recognized by the women of that time, as Luke 8:2-3 lists the names of a number of prominent women of means who provided economic support for Jesus’ ministry.

Jesus teaches charity.
Mt 25:34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Paul is concerned that welfare is going to cost his church too much.
1Tim 5:9 Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore years old, having been the wife of one man.
5:16 If any man or woman that believeth have widows, let them relieve them, and let not the church be burdened; that it may relieve them that are widows indeed.

2Th 3:10 For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:25 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
In historical context he wasn't. And the choice of books they had to pick from wasn't that great.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:55 AM

Quote:
At the exclussion of Moses and Elijiah (the law and the prophets) God said this is my beloved son (Jesus) hear Him. case closed
God said; "Israel is my son, my firstborn, let my son go so he can serve me."

If scripture cannot be discarded then Jesus was the approved servant of God,His son, not the only son of God in a numerical value. He was what the servant of God is suppose to be like. God wants everyone to serve Him and be His son.

It is written in the prophet's;

"I shall purify the lips of the people so they will all call upon the name of the Lord to serve Him with one accord."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity