Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2015, 07:16 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,966,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like I said I could not have made my point more clear. I can only wonder what you thought I was saying.

For a while I thought you understood it, but obviosuly I was wrong. You went right back to "anything goes if it doesn't hurt people".

I do not wish to repeat what I have already told you.

You also suggest God approves anything which makes people feel 'happy' even if it is sinful. I disagree with that view.
I never left it, Finn. What I was trying to do was to get you to see that God's intent is not wrapped up in your understanding of the words in a book, but in the love that Jesus said He is and has for us, that such a love is not arbitrary, but demonstrable in how people are affected.

Thank you at least for giving me a vehicle to express what I see and an example of the boxed thinking that does not get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 07:50 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,790,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Thank you at least for giving me a vehicle to express what I see and an example of the boxed thinking that does not get it.
Same to you.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:41 PM

64,015 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
Fine, if that's the way you see it. Let's get back to the point at hand, how does a loving relationship hurt two gay people, either in their personal fulfillment or in their relationship with God when the concern both of God and man is the well-being (in this case, the fulfilling relationship) of the people concerned?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like I said I could not have made my point more clear. I can only wonder what you thought I was saying.
For a while I thought you understood it, but obviosuly I was wrong. You went right back to "anything goes if it doesn't hurt people".
I do not wish to repeat what I have already told you.
You also suggest God approves anything which makes people feel 'happy' even if it is sinful. I disagree with that view.
What kinds of things are sinful that do NOT hurt people, Finn. The worship of other gods is absurd since there are none to worship. How could that possibly bother God??? Do you really think that our Father does NOT want us to be happy, Finn??? What kind of Father would that be? Since our God IS agape love and everyone who loves is "born of God" . . . how could anything done in love of God and each other EVER be a sin???

Last edited by MysticPhD; 07-04-2015 at 10:52 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 05:47 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,790,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What kinds of things are sinful that do NOT hurt people, Finn. The worship of other gods is absurd since there are none to worship. How could that possibly bother God??? Do you really think that our Father does NOT want us to be happy, Finn??? What kind of Father would that be? Since our God IS agape love and everyone who loves is "born of God" . . . how could anything done in love of God and each other EVER be a sin???
You can call worshpping false gods absurd, but it is important you worship/love Him, not false gods. Loving God is the first of the greatest two commandments.

I never said God does not want us to be happy. You failed to comprehend what was said. There are many things which people claim makes them happy, but it does not mean God approves them. Read the thread to learn examples of such acts.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:41 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,437,340 times
People can't come up with any reason why sex within a same gender marriage would be harmful or unloving, so they resort to the idea that God arbitrarily decided that homosexuality is a sin. But they also can't explain how such a thing could be offensive to God or create a problem for someone in their relationship to God or others. They resort to "the bible says so" when the few verses that are used as proof texts are either based on the translation of an obscure word, or reading their preconceived ideas into the passages. One has to wonder why, against all reason or spiritual sense, they feel the need to hang onto those preconceived ideas.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:06 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,393,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
People can't come up with any reason why sex within a same gender marriage would be harmful or unloving, so they resort to the idea that God arbitrarily decided that homosexuality is a sin. But they also can't explain how such a thing could be offensive to God or create a problem for someone in their relationship to God or others. They resort to "the bible says so" when the few verses that are used as proof texts are either based on the translation of an obscure word, or reading their preconceived ideas into the passages. One has to wonder why, against all reason or spiritual sense, they feel the need to hang onto those preconceived ideas.

How can we trust the judgement of those who think only from a sin conscious state of being or trust their sin conscious understanding of the bible?.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How can we trust the judgement of those who think only from a sin conscious state of being or trust their sin conscious understanding of the bible?.
I don't trust their judgment anymore. It is impaired by drinking too deeply of the "old wine".

Old 07-05-2015, 08:18 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,966,428 times
Quote:
Let me take it one step further, Pleroo;any examination of the fact that same sex attraction is not a choice and the consequences of demonizing that attraction such as a much higher suicide rate among gay teens should indicate that the demonization is not only unloving, but actively harmful.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Let me take it one step further, Pleroo;any examination of the fact that same sex attraction is not a choice and the consequences of demonizing that attraction such as a much higher suicide rate among gay teens should indicate that the demonization is not only unloving, but actively harmful.
You are absolutely correct. Thanks for adding that extremely important perspective, nate.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:26 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,393,674 times
Quote:
I don't trust their judgment anymore. It is impaired by drinking too deeply of the "old wine".
I know. To see God(new wine) we have to be God conscious(new wine skin)........ that old wine always tasted spoilt.

But when i drank from the old wine,sin sprang to life and I died. Romans 7:9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity