Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 02:18 PM

18,515 posts, read 9,196,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Probably most.
Can you translate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 02:20 PM

63,945 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yes, I've been repeatedly told that the Holy Spirit = Agape Love. Of course, I haven't yet been given a single shred of evidence to actually support that claim, but yes, I have been repeatedly told.
I've also been repeatedly told that the Bible is the inerrant and infallible Word of God(tm). I haven't yet been given a single shred of evidence to support that claim either, but whatever.
Notice you use two COMPETING beliefs . . . not from the same set of beliefs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There can be no resolution as long as you insist on demanding that ALL of the conflicting (and frequently nonsensical) views ALL be true. That is not a sincere search for truth. It is a self-defeating game. Why play it? Clearly you believe there is NO truth to be found. Fine. But this silly game has no purpose since it can never produce anything but nonsense. Pick one or the other and find errors WITHIN them . . . not between them and OTHER views. You just might be surprised to find one that is entirely consistent and non-contradictory. But then, that is not your goal, is it Freak?
Quote:
Does anyone know what MysticPhd is trying to say here?
Does that make it any clearer, Freak. You are assessing individual beliefs in their entirety . . . you are assessing competing and contradictory beliefs. Each belief system must be evaluated separately . . . NOT against others as if they must ALL be true or none of them can be.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:26 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times
Quote:
Does anyone know what MysticPhd is trying to say here?
yes: examine your methodology for basic error.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:39 PM

18,515 posts, read 9,196,541 times
Quote:
Notice you use two COMPETING beliefs . . . not from the same set of beliefs.
I'm not "using beliefs," rather I'm being presented with two different truth claims (yours and Vizio's). They can't both be correct, since they contradict each other. They can both be incorrect, but they can't both be correct. Since neither truth claim has any evidence to back it up, I will assert that neither claim is true.

Quote:
Does that make it any clearer, Freak. You are assessing individual beliefs in their entirety . . . you are assessing competing and contradictory beliefs.
Yes. I am indeed assessing competing and contradictory beliefs. I have to do this all the time. Example: one guy believes that Aspartame will kill me, so I should stop drinking it. Another guy tells me that Aspartame is fine. It's up to me to determine (if possible) which person's claim is correct, based on any available evidence.

Quote:
Each belief system must be evaluated separately . . . NOT against others as if they must ALL be true or none of them can be.
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. I have evaluated your claims (and Vizio's claims) independently and found them both to be invalid. I have never asserted that either all religious claims are true or none of them are true. I simply assert that no claim (religious or otherwise) is true unless there is evidence to back up the claim.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
I have evaluated your claims (and Vizio's claims) independently and found them both to be invalid.
You don't understand Mystic's belief system. You don't understand his teachings. You just admitted (again) you can't even understand his posts.

Tell us.... how can you evaluate something you do not understand?

Old 07-31-2015, 02:49 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:

Yes. I am indeed assessing competing and contradictory beliefs. I have to do this all the time. Example: one guy believes that Aspartame will kill me, so I should stop drinking it. Another guy tells me that Aspartame is fine. It's up to me to determine (if possible) which person's claim is correct, based on any available evidence.
Are you still wondering or have determined whether it will kill you or not ?.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
There can be no resolution as long as you insist on demanding that ALL of the conflicting (and frequently nonsensical) views ALL be true. That is not a sincere search for truth. It is a self-defeating game. Why play it? Clearly you believe there is NO truth to be found. Fine. But this silly game has no purpose since it can never produce anything but nonsense. Pick one or the other and find errors WITHIN them . . . not between them and OTHER views. You just might be surprised to find one that is entirely consistent and non-contradictory. But then, that is not your goal, is it Freak?
Read the bold. I acknowledge that belief in God lacks what YOU consider evidence. But why play your silly game of comparing contradictory beliefs about God against each other . . . since you do not accept ANY belief in God. Belief in God has to be part of an entire belief SYSTEM using whatever is available to comprise a consistent and believable basis. You reject them all out of hand. So why play the game at all. You do not seek to find a consistent and believable basis for belief in God. You are NOT evaluating those beliefs in their entire context. You are just taking potshots at contradictory beliefs . . . rather a pointless game.
Quote:
I'm not "using beliefs," rather I'm being presented with two different truth claims (yours and Vizio's). They can't both be correct, since they contradict each other. They can both be incorrect, but they can't both be correct. Since neither truth claim has any evidence to back it up, I will assert that neither claim is true.
I don't understand what you are trying to say here. I have evaluated your claims (and Vizio's claims) independently and found them both to be invalid. I have never asserted that either all religious claims are true or none of them are true. I simply assert that no claim (religious or otherwise) is true unless there is evidence to back up the claim.
You have been told that what you seek does not exist in a form that you would find acceptable. Fine. It is the silly game you play that makes no sense. Others have beliefs about God for various reasons and their beliefs make sense to them (or not) based on criteria that are acceptable to them. You do not accept ANY of them because you do not assess ANY of them in their entirety as a SYSTEM of beliefs. Belief in God will remain BELIEF until there is irrefutable evidence one way or the other. Some of us have that irrefutable evidence, but it is not acceptable to you. C'est la vie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You don't understand Mystic's belief system. You don't understand his teachings. You just admitted (again) you can't even understand his posts.
Tell us.... how can you evaluate something you do not understand?
He can't, Dew. But he doesn't even try. His is a blanket dismissal of belief in God, period. He is just playing some game for reasons known only to him.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
He is just playing some game for reasons known only to him.
I think he uses this board in lieu of having a heart to heart talk with his parents about his fundamentalist upbringing. Poking at believers on the internet is easy. Sitting down and hashing things out with the people you think harmed you is hard.

Which you should do, Freak. You can't get over your anger until you do. Or..... forgive them..... and move on....

Old 07-31-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Read the bold. I acknowledge that belief in God lacks what YOU consider evidence. But why play your silly game of comparing contradictory beliefs about God against each other . . . since you do not accept ANY belief in God. Belief in God has to be part of an entire belief SYSTEM using whatever is available to comprise a consistent and believable basis. You reject them all out of hand. So why play the game at all. You do not seek to find a consistent and believable basis for belief in God. You are NOT evaluating those beliefs in their entire context. You are just taking potshots at contradictory beliefs . . . rather a pointless game.
You have been told that what you seek does not exist in a form that you would find acceptable. Fine. It is the silly game you play that makes no sense. Others have beliefs about God for various reasons and their beliefs make sense to them (or not) based on criteria that are acceptable to them. You do not accept ANY of them because you do not assess ANY of them in their entirety as a SYSTEM of beliefs. Belief in God will remain BELIEF until there is irrefutable evidence one way or the other. Some of us have that irrefutable evidence, but it is not acceptable to you. C'est la vie.
He can't, Dew. But he doesn't even try. His is a blanket dismissal of belief in God, period. He is just playing some game for reasons known only to him.
Quote:
I think he uses this board in lieu of having a heart to heart talk with his parents about his fundamentalist upbringing. Poking at believers on the internet is easy. Sitting down and hashing things out with the people you think harmed you is hard.
Which you should do, Freak. You can't get over your anger until you do. Or..... forgive them..... and move on....
As usual, you are very insightful, Dew. I was not looking at his personal motivations, just his intellectual ones.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:35 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,041,478 times
Quote:

Deserving of the post of the year award.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity