Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2019, 01:04 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,747,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I've read every single post on this thread and as an one that believes "homosexuals" (as well as a few others of sexual inclination) are born the way they are and should be accepted that way ……...are not all of you that are piling on Jeff and Finn condemning and judging in much the same way that they are??
Do you feel more 'holy' and pure to be beating on them day after day or, I believe there's a Bible reference to this, are not you the ones that are doing the 'stoning'?
Of course they are, and it is super-ironic they end up being guilty of the very thing they accuse others of (without evidence). Their own words are evidence of their own wrongdoing.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:08 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,887,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
This is what people typically say in order to justify their judgmentalism.

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." - JC
I am judging in a way I would want to be judged. I would want someone to point out where Jesus would say I am in the same camp with Pharisees. He had strong words to say about them. Strong words. Didn't see him say anything like that to prostitutes or drunks or lepers or tax collectors or any of the other people the religious hierarchy of the day looked down upon and rejected from the religious institutions of the day.

I will gladly accept that form of judgment.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:11 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,420,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I am judging in a way I would want to be judged. I would want someone to point out where Jesus would say I am in the same camp with Pharisees. He had strong words to say about them. Strong words. Didn't see him say anything like that to prostitutes or drunks or lepers or tax collectors or any of the other people the religious hierarchy of the day looked down upon and rejected from the religious institutions of the day.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:12 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,735,184 times
Quote:
You should stop, because you are proving my point, not yours.

As for your "newsflash" from Finland, the mass departure was prompted by the Lutheran church condoning SSM, not vice versa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_r...nland#Politics

A gay rights panel discussion aired on YLE2 on October 12, 2010, was followed by an unprecedented high number of people leaving the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Finland. In 2014, thousands of Finns resigned from the Church, following comments made by church officials supporting the same-sex marriage legislation.
Wikipedia is occasionally wrong. Here is another separate news report:
Quote:
It’s been an interesting week for gay rights in Europe, and not such a good one for the religious right. On Tuesday of last week, the Finnish Broadcasting Company hosted a live gay rights panel, with people from both sides gathered for a strikingly civil discussion.

What was unexpected was the aftermath. As a result of the anti-gay comments made by some of the religious panelists, 30,000 people have resigned from the state church, according to official statistics.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/30000...n-fin_b_772176
But I’m happy you made a half hearted attempt at real research.
P.S.:
I discovered this story which may indicate we are both “right and wrong.”
Quote:
According to the head of the agnostics association, Petri Karisma, while most of those who chose to leave the church appeared to be conservatives angered by Archbishop Mäkinen's support for gender-neutral marriage, liberals objected to the Church's overall position. "In spite of Archbishop Kari Mäkinen's positive comments the church's official position on same-sex marriage is negative. This has now led to a situation where liberals are also leaving," Karisma told the Iltalehti daily paper.
https://www.christiantoday.com/artic...ages/43725.htm

And this certainly sounds like the existing situation in the UMC where liberals and conservatives have been dropping out. My own church had one family leave because they felt the UMC was too accepting (late last year) while another dropped out because they felt it wasn’t accepting enough.

So I will apologize for not being as thorough as I usually am.

Want to meet me halfway? Testing, testing, testing.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 06-10-2019 at 01:31 PM..

Old 06-10-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:

So, it is ok to judge if you first label your target as Pharisee? Is that they way you think it works?

You are only fooling yourself, and no one else, and certainly not Jesus. He does not approve of a false witness. Strong words about such people. Strong words.

And yes, He actually wants you to obey his instruction about judging, and not hide behind excuses.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I've read every single post on this thread and as an one that believes "homosexuals" (as well as a few others of sexual inclination) are born the way they are and should be accepted that way ……...are not all of you that are piling on Jeff and Finn condemning and judging in much the same way that they are??
Do you feel more 'holy' and pure to be beating on them day after day or, I believe there's a Bible reference to this, are not you the ones that are doing the 'stoning'?
Quote:
Of course they are, and it is super-ironic they end up being guilty of the very thing they accuse others of (without evidence). Their own words are evidence of their own wrongdoing.
Careful Old Cold with your words, or Mr. Jarber will exploit and twist them to serve his own agenda.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:18 PM

10,096 posts, read 5,757,190 times
Quote:

No, he just told the prostitutes and tax collectors to go and sin no more. He never encouraged them to remain in their lifestyle.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
So did Jesus. Toward Phrarisees. Toward those that held up standards that kept people away from God in fear and condemnation and which in turn they only kept by appearance but not in their heart. Seems fitting.
Quote:
This is what people typically say in order to justify their stone throwing.

“Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." - JC

I thought you said you take the Bible literally. Why not this instruction? It is one of the more important teachings. Why do you cherry pick verses and pretend it is a license to judge. You are not Jesus, and no one here is a Pharisee, so put your rocks down.
It appears that he has a great deal more integrity than you do Mr. Jarber.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Wikipedia is occasionally wrong. Here is another separate news report:
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/30000...n-fin_b_772176
But I’m happy you made a half hearted attempt at real research.
Huff-po

LOL

Wikipedia, unlike Huff-Po sources their data, and its obvious you swallowed some Huff-Po Gay Agenda fake news hook, line and sinker.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
No, he just told the prostitutes and tax collectors to go and sin no more. He never encouraged them to remain in their lifestyle.
Where did he discriminate against those you believe are sinners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity