Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 09:48 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Your missing the point E, lets say, for arguments sake, it was angels appearing as men.

Who is ALL THE PEOPLE of Sodom? Is ALL the PEOPLE only in reference to men?
Segregation is alive, and continues to thrive within the religious views of man.
It's the action or state of setting someone or something apart from other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 01:16 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,916,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
God was fine with those of us who broke those chains. We stand, and will not be owned.

What happens when you find out you were bowing and scraping to God when it was never necessary. I hope you come to understand it sooner rather than later.

It is rather easy not to sin. You seem to think is is nearly impossible.

Eve broke those chains as well she got death for it.
I am happy to be a slave for God, He has proved his love immeasurably. Everything good everyone has ever had is because of Gods will.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:09 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
I am happy to be a slave for God, He has proved his love immeasurably. Everything good everyone has ever had is because of Gods will.

Death is nothing to be concerned about.

I am saddened you claim to be a happy slave. Your cult master counts of your complacency. I guess your God needs slaves. I hope you and your enslaved brothers and sisters gain insight and freedom from your cult/slave master.

I am a slave to no one. Not ever. I choose to walk with God.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:

Nice way of calling me untruthful. You believe you did not call me a liar, because John said it.? Seems a very strange way of never taking responsibility for what you have to say.

Me? I prefer owning my words.
Why take responsibility when you can hide behind a book? It's the easy peasy way of being rude judgmental and demeaning without the worry of being called out for being rude, judgmental and demeaning.

"I didn't say that....God said it." One can practically hear the swoosh as they wrap themselves in the Cloak of Sanctimonious Self Righteousness. (TM)

Old 09-12-2015, 05:08 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,155,884 times
Quote:
Kids, this is what Stockholm Syndrome looks like.

Old 09-12-2015, 05:28 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The New Testament mentions fornication as the immorality. Meaning men and women were having promiscuous sex in the city before the strangers got here. Attacking visitors was probably a common occurrence in a society viewed as that bad.

By your own admission, if God decided to destroy it before the angels ever arrived, the men asking the angels to come out weren't the reason God was going to destroy the city. He viewed it as evil before that event ever happened. So why the focus on gays?
...Sodom and Gomorrah were part of a metropolis assumed to have been located on the eastern bank of the Dead Sea consisting of five cities, each with its own king. There was (1) Bera, king of Sodom, (2) Birsha, king of Gomorrah, (3) Shinab, king of Admad, (4) Shember, king of Zeboiim, and (5) the king of Bela, which is also called Zoar (Genesis 14:8). This thriving group of city-states is referred to in the Bible (Genesis 13:12) as the Cities of the Plain. The five kings were under the dominion of a coalition of eastern Mesopotamian overlords. According to the Torah, with the help of the patriarch Abraham, the cities gained their independence, though their independence was only short-lived. A few years later, God destroyed the cities in a hail of fire and brimstone....

...Between 1973 and 1979, four more "cities" to the south of Bab edh-Dhra were found. Their Arabic names are Numeira, Safi, Feifa, and Khanazir. The surrounding area has been thoroughly explored and no other cities have been found, only these five. The five cities, a few miles apart from each other, are almost in a straight line going from north to south....

But recent evidence found by Manfred Bietak in Tel el-Daba indicates that Middle Bronze Age Canaanite artifacts lagged about 100 years behind their Egyptian counterparts. When it comes to Sodom and Gomorrah, the lag could be much more substantial because, according to the Talmud (Babylonian Talmud Sanhedrin 109a), intentional isolationism prevailed in the Cities of the Plain.
The (inhabitants of the cities of the Plain) said: "Since there cometh forth bread out of land and it hath the dust of gold, why should we suffer wayfarers, who come to us only to deplete our wealth? Come, let us abolish the practice of traveling into our land."
If, as the Talmud records, traveling into the area of Sodom and Gomorrah was sharply curtailed -- forbidden, or at least discouraged -- the introduction of outside styles of pottery and metal working would seriously fall behind the style and techniques of the more advanced Egyptians. How far the Cities of the Plain would have straggled is unknown. We must be patient and await further evidence to emerge....

- Biblical Archeology: Sodom and Gomorrah

Old 09-12-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Kids, this is what Stockholm Syndrome looks like.

And in Freak80,s case this is reality-2Cor 4:4

Old 09-12-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Death is nothing to be concerned about.

I am saddened you claim to be a happy slave. Your cult master counts of your complacency. I guess your God needs slaves. I hope you and your enslaved brothers and sisters gain insight and freedom from your cult/slave master.

I am a slave to no one. Not ever. I choose to walk with God.

You seemed to have missed reading much in Gods word--its hard to walk with God when one doesn't have much of a clue. And Jesus is not a cult master--you are very confused.

Romans 7:6--Gal 1:10-- Gal 5:13--Matt 24:45( speaking of Jesus' anointed teachers)-- romans 6:16

Old 09-12-2015, 07:17 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,970 times
Quote:
You seemed to have missed reading much in Gods word--its hard to walk with God when one doesn't have much of a clue. And Jesus is not a cult master--you are very confused.

Romans 7:6--Gal 1:10-- Gal 5:13--Matt 24:45( speaking of Jesus' anointed teachers)-- romans 6:16
What can I tell you. I speak English, and bad English. I do not speak in bible. I have read a few of them.
I am unable to carry on a conversation using verses the bible.

I do find them amusing though. God cannot be contained in a book, and you are not an anointed teacher. You are a slave, remember?

Old 09-12-2015, 07:18 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,903,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Don't get too excited boys and girls. It never happened. It's just a story in a book full of stories.

Relax.
I'm inclined to agree with you. The story of Sodom and Gomorrah and its alleged destruction by an almighty power that rained brimstone and fire upon the cities due to their extreme sinfulness is (in my mind) clearly a fable. And then, of course, we have Lot's wife being turned into a pillar of salt simply for looking back at the burning cities when having been instructed not to. Does it not seem rather odd that most Christians don't even question the "Lot's wife/pillar of salt" part of the story?

I'm actually at a loss as to what the underlying message of this probable fable would be since 'the terrible sins' spoken of are not even clearly spelled out. What WAS 'their wickedness' that would warrant annihilation and why have we readers been left to our own devices to invent our own favorite interpretations of 'sins' based on our own personal biases?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity