Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 01:04 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,024,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Archeologists have dug up some of the sights and proved the ot correct in many instances--They even have said--We do not understand why God waited so long to destroy them( that is how wicked some were)-- they sacrificed babies to stone gods, used orgies as part of worship. God knows exactly what he is doing.
I think you're confused...What you are describing occurred in the Land of Canaan, which was west of the Jordan...Sodom and Gomorrah were part of five cities of the plain which were West of the Jordan...I have read about the archeological discovery of the five cities of the plain and I don't see any indication that did what you have proffered...Again, that was the people of the Land of Canaan that did those things...However, the first mention of Sodom and Gomorrah in the TaNaKh is Genesis 13 where it is stated that they were evil in the sight of the Lord...

13.And the people of Sodom were very evil and sinful against the Lord

Rashi's Commentary:

And the people of Sodom were…evil: Nevertheless, Lot did not hesitate to sojourn with them. And our Rabbis (Yoma 38b) learned from here that (Prov. 10:7) “the name of the wicked shall rot.” [Having mentioned them, the Torah speaks of their evil.]

evil: with their bodies.

and sinful: with their money. [from Sanh. 109a]

very… against the Lord: They recognized their Master and intended to rebel against Him. [from Sifra, Bechukkothai 2]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
God wrote the bible through men, using holy spirit to guide truth. I learned from the anointed.
What anointed?...

Old 09-13-2015, 02:09 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,970 times
Quote:
God wrote the bible through men, using holy spirit to guide truth. I learned from the anointed.

You are their slave, too? You are a slave to men, a holy spirit, some one claiming to be anointed, and God?

You poor poor, person. How awful. When you decide to let it go. Stand slowly. Your back will thank you.

Old 09-13-2015, 02:42 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,176,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What anointed?...
The JW self-appointed apostles.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The JW self-appointed apostles.
Well, if they are anointed, which in Hebrew is the word Moshiach = Anointed One, then this means that they are ALL Messiahs...I didn't realize that that was possible....I thought that there was only one Messiah...I guess all the other folks in the Old Testament that were called in the Hebrew Moshiach were in fact also Saviors...It is funny that the translators of the bible translated Moshiach as anointed and not anointed one, but when it came to Jesus they translated that same word as Messiah like it was special some how, but it was the same word, applied to Jesus, that was applied to those in the OT, why not translate that same word in the OT as Messiah also or when referring to Jesus translate it as anointed one, which is what it really means, I mean, if you are going to translate it as anointed one for all those others in the OT, translate it the same regardless even for Jesus...I smell an agenda...

Old 09-13-2015, 03:45 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,163,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Howdy neighbors. *Sigh* ...I'm at a loss as to why the church leadership within mainstream Christianity still persists in preaching to its flock that Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of the 'grave sin' of homosexuality. Years ago I participated in a church Bible study on the subject of S&G. We were advised by the leader of the group study to clear our minds of any preconceived notions that we might have pertaining to their destruction, i.e. the popular teaching that they were destroyed because of rampant homosexuality. And, I'm sure glad that we did go into this study with an open mind. We found nothing to indicate that the inhabitants of Sodom and Gomorrah were homosexual ...NOTHING! But, this left us to wondering how others had somehow read and continued to read such a falsehood into the story of S&G. "Others" involves scholars of theology and includes many well-known personalities today such as Michael Brown and James White ...both of whom possess theological doctorates as well as their having several anti-gay presentations on YouTube in which, I believe, S&G are referenced.

Ezekiel gives us the actual reason/s why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed (Ezekiel 16:49-50) and NOWHERE mentions homosexuality. Jesus (Matthew 10:14-15) equates the lack of hospitality to strangers with the sin of Sodom and Gomorrah. Again, no mention of homosexuality. And, as already mentioned, there is no mention of homosexuality anywhere in the ACTUAL account in Genesis.

So, where does this falsehood come from and why do preachers persist in preaching the glaring lie to their congregation that S&G were destroyed because of homosexuality? I'll quickly mention that the intended rape of the angels visiting Lot by the inhabitants of Sodom has nothing to do with God's plan to destroy the cities. This is not to mention, of course, that Gomorrah had nothing to do with this part of the story but was also destroyed.

Please, discuss.
Your study wasn't very deep on S&G.......and YES there is mention of homosexual activity............

Jud 1:7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.
Jud 1:8 Yet in like manner these people also, relying on their dreams, defile the flesh, reject authority, and blaspheme the glorious ones.

Old 09-13-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Your study wasn't very deep on S&G.......and YES there is mention of homosexual activity............

Jud 1:7 just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.
Jud 1:8 Yet in like manner these people also, relying on their dreams, defile the flesh, reject authority, and blaspheme the glorious ones.
You're quoting Jude, which is relatively recent...All the TNK states is that:

Genesis 13:

13And the people of Sodom were very evil and sinful against the Lord.

Where does it state anything regarding homosexuality in there?...This means that they knew who G-d was but chose to be disobedient to Him...IOW, they sinned in everything...Not just one thing...That is why G-d destroyed them...

Old 09-13-2015, 06:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You're quoting Jude, which is relatively recent...All the TNK states is that:

Genesis 13:

13And the people of Sodom were very evil and sinful against the Lord.

Where does it state anything regarding homosexuality in there?...This means that they knew who G-d was but chose to be disobedient to Him...IOW, they sinned in everything...Not just one thing...That is why G-d destroyed them...
Yes, everything including homosexuality for some.

Old 09-13-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes, everything including homosexuality for some.
So, why the focus and claim that it was just for homosexuality?....

Old 09-13-2015, 07:15 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post

Uh, nothing in Jude says anything about homosexual activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity