Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2016, 11:07 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,731,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, my faith is not based on feelings. I don't even understand where you got that idea.

I don't reject the Bible. I don't know where you are getting that idea, either. I study the scriptures in a theological class to which I belong. Our church uses more scripture in their service on Sundays than any other church I ever attended--an OT reading, a non-Gospel NT reading, a Psalm, and a passage from a Gospel, all of them, every week, and the sermon is based on what was read, not just a 45-minute discourse on one verse taken out of its context, as was the case with the church I grew up in.

Not sure why you feel the need to blast me for believing the Bible then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The Bible is a library of 66 books written at different times in different contexts by different people. We can find God in its words, but its words are not God. We can also find God outside of the Bible--in other people, in nature, inside ourselves. He's not stuck inside the covers of a book collection.

Well maybe you need to reread this one:

The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:31 It doesn't say mock thy neighbor when you can't stand their opinion.

And while I don't believe every single word in scripture is from God (Psalms is clearly David's thoughts and praises), God is speaking through the scripture. Jesus used the actual words from the scripture to combat Satan and the words of prophecy have come true sometimes in incredible detail. If you are going to say the Bible is nothing but writings of men who were inspired by God then you have placed it on the level of a Joel Osteem book.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:20 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I'm merely repeating what God says in His Holy Word. I don't claim to be a prophet with some new revelation from Him. I sin, like everyone else does. However to make it a lifestyle is to say either one rejects God, or they don't care what He says. People take issue with me frequently on homosexuality. I happen to agree with God- if that offends you, so be it. All of us are offended when our behavior is wrong and we're called on it. Most people would rather set their own standards in order to justify their behavior. Deep down, we know it's wrong, but it's easier to keep sinning and make it "okay" in our minds than it is to face oneself and change. Why do homosexuals have such a high rate of suicide and substance abuse? I'd say inner conflict has a lot to do with that.
No, no. That's using religion as an excuse for hatred/bigotry/ignorance.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:29 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The difference, jeffbase is in how you view the Bible, not whether it is accepted or rejected. That is a false dichotomy set up by those who are afraid to trust the guidance of the Spirit that is promised IN the Bible. The Bible is ONE of the tools for that Spirit (and that "warm, fuzzy feeling" thing is another mischaracterization of following that Spirit set up by those same fearful and controlling people) to use in teaching us about the love of Christ.

Look at the third choice, jeffbase, it is the true one.
Exactly!

Old 03-22-2016, 11:34 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Isn't sinning on a daily basis considered a "lifestyle?" Otherwise would one simply STOP sinning--unless of course they are "rejecting God?"
If anyone could stop sinning on their own, then Christ would not have come to sacrifice Himself for our sins. You can play the wise guy if it makes you feel better. Neither your opinion nor mine will influence what God says. As I said before, people take issue because they don't want to face up to their sin. You can dislike me you can dislike Gods message, but our opinions and emotions don't change truth. Before I believed, I too made fun of believers and what they said- especially when it conflicted with my behavior or beliefs! That was MUCH easier than looking in the mirror.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:38 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,087 times
Quote:
I'm merely repeating what God says in His Holy Word. I don't claim to be a prophet with some new revelation from Him. I sin, like everyone else does. However to make it a lifestyle is to say either one rejects God, or they don't care what He says. People take issue with me frequently on homosexuality. I happen to agree with God- if that offends you, so be it. All of us are offended when our behavior is wrong and we're called on it. Most people would rather set their own standards in order to justify their behavior. Deep down, we know it's wrong, but it's easier to keep sinning and make it "okay" in our minds than it is to face oneself and change. Why do homosexuals have such a high rate of suicide and substance abuse? I'd say inner conflict has a lot to do with that.

Because we're made to feel less than human. Because we're made to feel dirty, and wrong. We're told repeatedly that God hates us. We're called "abominations." We're told that in order to be accepted we have to change. We're told by our families that they do not want us around them anymore. We're blamed for every man made and natural disaster.

And you wonder why a lot of us turn to drugs and/or alcohol to numb ourselves from that. And you wonder why some people lose hope completely and kill themselves. Wow. Really?

You don't think that maybe the way we're treated might have something to do with it?

It has nothing to do with internal conflict, and everything to do with the spiritual, emotional and physical abuse from those like yourself that is unrelenting.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
No, no. That's using religion as an excuse for hatred/bigotry/ignorance.
Religion is man made, and I have nothing to do with it. Non believers constantly confuse faith with religion. Faith is God made. Rejecting Gods Word is a form of ignorance.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Religion is man made, and I have nothing to do with it. Non believers constantly confuse faith with religion. Faith is God made. Rejecting Gods Word is a form of ignorance.
Horse hockey.

Rejecting the nonsense in the bible is a necessary step towards wisdom. Swallowing "god's word" wholesale results in callous bigotry wrapped in self-righteous sanctimony.

In other words, you turn into what you and jeff and Finn and Viz and twin have turned into -- ugly, dark-spirited beings.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Because we're made to feel less than human. Because we're made to feel dirty, and wrong. We're told repeatedly that God hates us. We're called "abominations." We're told that in order to be accepted we have to change. We're told by our families that they do not want us around them anymore. We're blamed for every man made and natural disaster.

And you wonder why a lot of us turn to drugs and/or alcohol to numb ourselves from that. And you wonder why some people lose hope completely and kill themselves. Wow. Really?

You don't think that maybe the way we're treated might have something to do with it?

It has nothing to do with internal conflict, and everything to do with the spiritual, emotional and physical abuse from those like yourself that is unrelenting.
Anyone that has that attitude toward homosexuals is wrong. God loves everyone- despite what we do, or have done. He does not call homosexuals an "abomination"- He says that of their sexual behavior. Unlike people, God is able to love us, while hating our sin. That is very difficult for us to do- separating a person from their actions. I don't wonder why people self destruct, but blaming society for self destructive behavior is taking NO responsiblility for oneself is not the answer. I have a serious past criminal record, and understand that others hold that against me. It does NOT excuse bad decisions I make. When God is not at the center of our hearts and lives, then other people are given great power to influence our emothions and thinking. Society has no power over me or you unless we allow them to. I'm not saying that's easy to fight, but with Gods help, I can win that battle. I don't reject you due to your behavior, anymore than anyone else who sins against God. However, even though God loves you- He cannot accept sinful behavior. He can and will forgive it IF you face up to it and ask Him for help in changing. Don't tell me homosexuals cannot change. God made the world and raised the dead- He is only limited by our unbelief.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:39 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,488,578 times
Quote:
Anyone that has that attitude toward homosexuals is wrong. God loves everyone- despite what we do, or have done. He does not call homosexuals an "abomination"- He says that of their sexual behavior. Unlike people, God is able to love us, while hating our sin. That is very difficult for us to do- separating a person from their actions. I don't wonder why people self destruct, but blaming society for self destructive behavior is taking NO responsiblility for oneself is not the answer. I have a serious past criminal record, and understand that others hold that against me. It does NOT excuse bad decisions I make. When God is not at the center of our hearts and lives, then other people are given great power to influence our emothions and thinking. Society has no power over me or you unless we allow them to. I'm not saying that's easy to fight, but with Gods help, I can win that battle. I don't reject you due to your behavior, anymore than anyone else who sins against God. However, even though God loves you- He cannot accept sinful behavior. He can and will forgive it IF you face up to it and ask Him for help in changing. Don't tell me homosexuals cannot change. God made the world and raised the dead- He is only limited by our unbelief.
The same crowd with their mockery of God and the Bible basically said the same thing about this OP from three years ago:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...erversion.html

The difference however is that their hostility is now greater \ more personal towards anyone who points out what God said in the Bible that refutes their premise and as usual permitted.

Last edited by twin.spin; 03-22-2016 at 12:49 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 12:43 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The same crowd with their mockery of God and the Bible basically said the same thing about this OP from three years ago:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/chris...erversion.html

The difference however is that their hostility is greater \ more personal towards anyone who points out what God said in the Bible that refutes their premise and as usual permitted.
"God" never said a single word.

Constantine wanted to stop his mother's nagging so he declared a bunch of long-dead, primitive men were channeling god.

Instead of the Long Island Medium, you believe dozens of ancient Middle Eastern Mediums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity