Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 03:09 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,546,131 times

Advertisements

The Apostasy That Wasn't | Catholic Answers

The Apostasy That Wasn't: The Extraordinary Story of the Unbreakable Early Church

You can listen to the podcast here on why the early Church was never broken and how it still can trace it's founding to the very beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 03:15 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsIoiWO96JI

Another video of his.

"Former Southern Baptist, Rod Bennett used to believe that the Catholic Church was the result of the “Great Apostasy.” However, as he was lead to read the works of the earliest Christians, he realized that the Early Church actually resembled Catholic beliefs and traditions! Here he gives a deep look into the early church and the rest of the story of the "Great Apostasy".

Old 10-04-2015, 03:19 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USQQREE1nM0

Rod Bennett's story on Coming Home.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:53 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,451,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

The Apostasy That Wasn't: The Extraordinary Story of the Unbreakable Early Church

You can listen to the podcast here on why the early Church was never broken and how it still can trace it's founding to the very beginning.
Easier to listen to Jesus who said it would come, Paul who had to deal with it and John who showed whole congregations impacted. Rev 2and 3

Old 10-04-2015, 05:48 PM

Then you will just turn a blind eye and a deaf ear? Sad, but remember these men thought the same thing as you did before they started their study.

Old 10-07-2015, 08:06 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,178,920 times
Plenty of info out there on why catholicism is off base........any group that claims it's the "one true church" isn't. The only real group of believers on the planet today has no denomination, but is knit together by the Holy Spirit.

There are millions of Kool Aid drinkers out there who will never change their mind, and that's their choice........and it's the Lords job to sort it all out...........

Old 10-07-2015, 09:20 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,337,780 times
"Vf6cruiser" at least as far as the "one true church" thing apparently the Catholic Church doesn't seem really all that exclusive---it believes that all who are baptized in water (and the Holy Spirit) in the name of the "Father, Son, and Holy Spirit" and strive to live in love of God and their neighbor are STILL ultimately "brothers (and sisters) in Christ" even if sadly separated from full union with the church.

here's a worthwhile quote from probably about a hundred years ago (way before "Vatican 2")---

"the holy and humble...who do not know (the church) or in GOOD FAITH reject (it)...she commits with CONFIDENCE to God's uncovenanted MERCIES which....are INFINITE."

and....

"all we know is that God has an infinite LOVE for souls, and that He possesses a thousand Divine secrets of reaching them and that His MERCY is a fathomless sea, whose limit one must NEVER think has been attained."

doesn't really sound that bad---especially coming from "kool aid drinkers"---does it?

hopefully you will also hope and pray for the same kind of mercy for yourself, me, and ALL who strive to live a life of love for God and their neighbor and accept the same ultimate brotherhood in the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship and unity of the Holy Spirit for Catholics as they do for you and yours---in Christian charity!!!

may God bless you and love you and help us all to know and do what is right.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 10-07-2015 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: more info.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 30,046,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

I'm afraid I don't have time for podcasts, janelle, but I can appreciate your dedication to your faith. (I doubt you'd be all that interested in listening to an entire LDS podcast on the subject either.) I've just read too many things that have convinced me that the early Church really did fall into apostasy -- just as Paul predicted it would

If you want to present a point or two (or as many points as you want, just one at a time) from the podcast and present it as evidence, I'd be happy to debate that specific point with you.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:49 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,228,653 times
I'm not aware of Jesus stating that the Roman Catholic church would always exist and that it would never be broken. I agree, Janelle. There have always been believers, just as he protected the nation of Israel even as it went into exile. But to make the claim that the RCC is God's chosen church is kind of arrogant.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:45 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,337,780 times
Vizio, think that to the best of my poor knowledge at least as far as scripture records Jesus did NOT personally even use the term "Christian" (to describe His followers) or the word "Trinity" (to show his relationship with His Father and the Holy Spirit) or even spoke the name "bible" (as a means of finding His word in one particular collection of writings) and followers of Christ use any or all of those words to explain and understand who they are and what they believe. the fact that He didn't specifically use "Catholic" to name the church he did found (...upon this rock I will build MY CHURCH and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.") is not an especially big deal and in fact a bit of a "straw man" (or is it a "red herring", LOL)---unless you are also seriously wanting to purge words like I just mentioned from any discussion EVEN if you hold the beliefs those words associate with since they are not specifically used by Jesus in the bible???

Catholics believe that Jesus founded a visible Church (aka "the body of Christ" see Ephesians 1:23) to continue His work of salvation and reconciliation ("as the Father sent ME, so I send YOU") to preserve and spread the gospel ("one faith, one Lord, one baptism" Ephesians 4: 4-6)),and teach all peoples "onto the ends of the earth". they also believe that the faith of Christ and of the church He founded most fully "SUBSISTS in the Catholic Church governed by the successor of St. Peter AND the bishops in communion with him---although MANY aspects of sanctification and truth are found outside of it's VISIBLE structure!!!"(quote from "lumen gentium" one of the Vatican 2 documents).

I would strongly suggest a least a quick read through of the essentially non-partisan and non-sectarian Wikipedia article "subsistit in" (yes, that's the phrase used in the original Latin document) for a detailed analysis and explanation of the meaning and implications of those words (translated in English as "subsists in") in regards to just how the Catholic Church sees itself and it's mission and it's relations to other Christians. you may or may not "buy" anything contained therein but conversion is not what this discussion is about---simply an informed and charitable UNDERSTANDING of where Catholics and their church are really "coming from" and (hopefully) going to.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 10-07-2015 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity