Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 01:13 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm not aware of Jesus stating that the Roman Catholic church would always exist and that it would never be broken. I agree, Janelle. There have always been believers, just as he protected the nation of Israel even as it went into exile. But to make the claim that the RCC is God's chosen church is kind of arrogant.
Dear viz,
The quote is not that the "Roman Catholic church would always exist", but the church built upon the rock of revelation, which was "because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven".

The actual quote is "My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it."(Mt 16:18) This is with respect to the sons of God, who do the will of God, and have the Spirit of God, and "you do not need for any one to teach you:" (1 John 2:27). Whereas the Roman Catholic church, whose creeds and dogmas were initially set at the Council of Nicaea, convened by the beast with two horns like a lamb, Constantine, is not that church. That church rides on the back of the beast whose 7th head established it, and it's leaders are the false prophet Paul, and the "worthless shepherd" (Zech 11:17)/Peter, followed by his successor the pope, who shall "in that day", "fall", and those hanging onto him shall be "cut off" (Isaiah 22:25).

Whether one is of the Roman catholic church or one of her daughters, one still needs to "come out of her", lest they share in her plagues (Rev 18:4).

The rock the church is built on, as shown in Matthew 7:24-25, is to heed the testimony of Yeshua/spirit of Revelation (Rev 19:10). The Spirit of Revelation is the rock, and the testimony of Yeshua is that Spirit. The babel of Paul, is the seed of the "evil one" and gets to grow up beside the good seed, which is the "word of the kingdom" (Mt 13:19). It is not until now, the "end of the age", in which those who "commit Lawlessness"/Paul, the ripe tares from that seed, are gathered and cast into the fire. (Mt 13:40-42) The "many" follow the false prophets, but the only thing that waits for them is "destruction" (Mt 7:13)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 01:14 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Dear viz,
The quote is not that the "Roman Catholic church would always exist", but the church built upon the rock of revelation, which was "because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven".

The actual quote is "My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it."(Mt 16:18) This is with respect to the sons of God, who do the will of God, and have the Spirit of God, and "you do not need for any one to teach you:" (1 John 2:27). Whereas the Roman Catholic church, whose creeds and dogmas were initially set at the Council of Nicaea, convened by the beast with two horns like a lamb, Constantine, is not that church. That church rides on the back of the beast whose 7th head established it, and it's leaders are the false prophet Paul, and the "worthless shepherd" (Zech 11:17)/Peter, followed by his successor the pope, who shall "in that day", "fall", and those hanging onto him shall be "cut off" (Isaiah 22:25).

Whether one is of the Roman catholic church or one of her daughters, one still needs to "come out of her", lest they share in her plagues (Rev 18:4).

The rock the church is built on, as shown in Matthew 7:24-25, is to heed the testimony of Yeshua/spirit of Revelation (Rev 19:10). The Spirit of Revelation is the rock, and the testimony of Yeshua is that Spirit. The babel of Paul, is the seed of the "evil one" and gets to grow up beside the good seed, which is the "word of the kingdom" (Mt 13:19). It is not until now, the "end of the age", in which those who "commit Lawlessness"/Paul, the ripe tares from that seed, are gathered and cast into the fire. (Mt 13:40-42) The "many" follow the false prophets, but the only thing that waits for them is "destruction" (Mt 7:13)
I'm sorry...I don't believe that Jesus was speaking about the RCC when he said "the church". That was my point. Nor do I believe he guaranteed that the RCC would exist without error.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:17 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
I wonder how many think Paul and Peter are worthless? Both were martyred for God and for spreading Christianity.

I believe Christ was talking about the RCC plus the other billion Catholics in the world or most of them do. It's been around for over 2,000 years. The Holy Spirit said it will last until the end of time.

You don't believe that but I do. That is my right.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:59 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I wonder how many think Paul and Peter are worthless? Both were martyred for God and for spreading Christianity.

I believe Christ was talking about the RCC plus the other billion Catholics in the world or most of them do. It's been around for over 2,000 years. The Holy Spirit said it will last until the end of time.

The Jewish "Church" has been around far longer and Jesus was a part of it. Does that mean that "Church" is the true one because it has been around a long time, or is it wrong because its religious leaders left true belief, listened to secular rulers and obeyed them, brought in their own traditions and incorporated pagan worship practices into it and .... well how does the Catholic Church differ? It doesn't.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The Jewish "Church" has been around far longer and Jesus was a part of it. Does that mean that "Church" is the true one because it has been around a long time, or is it wrong because its religious leaders left true belief, listened to secular rulers and obeyed them, brought in their own traditions and incorporated pagan worship practices into it and .... well how does the Catholic Church differ? It doesn't.

Where is pagan worship in any of it? The Catholic Church does not deny the Jewish faith, that is where it comes from and Jesus is the Messiah.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:20 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,139,412 times
Ephesians 1:22-23 (NKJV)
22 And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

-The church is the body of Jesus Christ, of which HE is the head and The RCC follow its own commands and the Pope is the head.

Matthew 16:18 (NKJV)
18 And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

-This is saying that the rock to build the church on is Jesus Christ, not the formation of the RCC or the Pope.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:34 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
There is NO Chruch established by Jesus the Christ. Wherever three or more are gathered in His name, that is called the ecclesia (misnamed Church). There is no hierarchy among the ecclesia by Christ's direct prohibition . . . "He who would be first . . ." Everything the churches have done supposedly in Christ's name has been counter to His explicit wishes. Men have made rules and institutions that have no resemblance to the ecclesia Jesus envisioned for His disciples. It is all human vanity and hubris writ large.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:21 AM

Well no Protestant Church until 1500 and that is a long time to be without the word of God. It's impossible to believe God would reveal His word to us and then let it fall into ruin.

Like the author of the book says, he started to question when so many churches started saying they had found the truth, at last.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:29 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

First of all -- no, the RCC has not been around for 2000 years. That's a baseless claim.

Second of all....even if that WERE the case, there is nothing in scripture to suggest that it could not teach error. We know that even in the 1st Century there were false teachers infiltrating the church. That's why Peter and Paul and the other apostles wrote epistles -- to counter the false teachings. It's also why Paul confronted the guy your church claims was the pope and corrected his error.

The fact is, if we compare the teachings of your church with the inspired teachings of the apostles we see some problems. Why should we believe your church, and your church's leaders, over them?

Old 10-09-2015, 10:46 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There is NO Chruch established by Jesus the Christ. Wherever three or more are gathered in His name, that is called the ecclesia (misnamed Church). There is no hierarchy among the ecclesia by Christ's direct prohibition . . . "He who would be first . . ." Everything the churches have done supposedly in Christ's name has been counter to His explicit wishes. Men have made rules and institutions that have no resemblance to the ecclesia Jesus envisioned for His disciples. It is all human vanity and hubris writ large.
You have something right.

The word ekklesia is congregation or the congregated believers not a "Church" as an organized group with a head standing in for Christ. Would it be organized with a leadership, yes, as Acts 15 shows. It would not have Titles used when addressing a person, bowing and a kissing of rings, pomp and ceremony, special garb, the exalting of one man, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity