Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:53 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Right, it is just another attempt to divide people into two opposing camps, and OP makes a clumsy attempt at misrepresenting the beliefs of others. I have never been to a church which claims God is not loving or forgiving.
Wow..isn't that exactly what I said? The difference is the evangelicals want to be in charge of ONE camp and those outside the fundie box want EVERYONE to be involved..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 07:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Wow..isn't that exactly what I said? The difference is the evangelicals want to be in charge of ONE camp and those outside the fundie box want EVERYONE to be involved..
That post was meant to chastise you and put you in your place. Again. The ol' wink-wink, nod-nod of one disapproving fundamentalist to another. Ya gotta get with the program, Z-Man. If you fail to hang your head and be shamed...the fundamentalists will quit responding to your posts.

I'll miss the excitement of an upset fundamentalist calling you onto the carpet....but I'll deal with it.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:37 AM

22 posts, read 14,415 times
Jesus having eyewitnesses willing to die proclaiming they saw Him alive again is a good reason for a Christian to believe worshipping Christ is more right than worshipping an impersonal force or worshipping God as Mohammad interpreted God.

But, that's just me.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That post was meant to chastise you and put you in your place. Again. The ol' wink-wink, nod-nod of one disapproving fundamentalist to another. Ya gotta get with the program, Z-Man. If you fail to hang your head and be shamed...the fundamentalists will quit responding to your posts.

I'll miss the excitement of an upset fundamentalist calling you onto the carpet....but I'll deal with it.
Really??? How could anyone even begin to imagine they can put me anywhere, let alone in a place?

I feel so--what is the emotion i am experiencing--so--chastised?

NAME THAT BOOK---

Suddenly I see myself riding down a snow covered hill, on an old RED RYDER sled, cuddling Gabe as we transverse the snow..ahead..I see a cabin..with fire..no they are called...CANDLES...candles burning in the window..I sense noise..now, not noise...MUSIC...that is what it is called...and there are people...people gathered together...but...they are not strangers..they are more..they are..what were they called...FAMILY. The are family, and there are young people and there are OLD people too..GRANDPARENTS, that is what we called them...and there is something else...something you cannot see...but it is there...I can feel it without touching it...the sled is picking up speed as I close in on the cabin..Gabe is restless..he is cold...he is hungry..but I know he doesn't want food..he is hungry for more...he is hungry for LOVE!!

Old 10-07-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Right, it is just another attempt to divide people into two opposing camps, and OP makes a clumsy attempt at misrepresenting the beliefs of others. I have never been to a church which claims God is not loving or forgiving.
Lip services is not commitment.
Treating those in the pew next to you is not EMBRACING your gay neighbor.
Slapping each other on the back after doughnuts and another "rousing" sermon does not house the homeless.
Handing out finger sandwiches 2 times a week does not eliminate hunger.
Sending "missionaries" to Timbuktu does not reduce poverty

Believing one is better than those poor sinners and grateful one does not go without because god-in-the-tiny-box-of-blessings has bestowed WEALTH, STATUS and INFLUENCE upon one does not make one worthy of a throne in heaven--it does however get one nominated for the Pharisaical Award and a basket full of vipers..

Old 10-07-2015, 01:28 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Far better men than Nietzche have tried to declare God as dead and religion over. I'm sorry...but the opinion of liberal, secularist philosophers really is not of any consequence to me.
Quote:

SO will we allow God's image to be so altered that no one will recognize him? Or will we finally allow God to exist outside our personal biases and need for rewards?
The latter, it would appear.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:27 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,941,124 times
Quote:
Ever since Friedrich Nietzche said---

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves?

(The Parable of the Madman)

The war has grown on all fronts. Evangelical demanding teh "atheists" retract and the atheists demanding the evangelicals surrender.

No one caring to admit that Nietzche's quoted ended with WE HAVE KILLED HIM...

What Nietzsche is concerned about in relating the above is that God is dead in the hearts and minds of his own generation of modern men - killed by an indifference that was itself directly related to a pronounced cultural shift away from faith and towards rationalism and science.
This same God, before becoming dead in men's hearts and minds, had provided the foundation of a "Christian-moral" defining and uniting approach to life as a shared cultural set of beliefs that had defined a social and cultural outlook within which people had lived their lives.

Today, that same statement is being spoken by the Christian Left and with the same rhetorical answer WE HAVE CONTINUED TO KILL GOD...

The evangelicals refuse to see God as compassionate and merciful and insist God be a JEALOUS God, consumed by VENGEANCE and determined to PUNISH his children. They see nothing wrong with a POWERFUL God doing as he wills, even to the point of yielding EVIL and DESTRUCTION against the mortal as a means of DEMANDING OBEDIENCE AND CONFORMITY.

The Left says God is LOVE, MERCY and FORGIVENESS and wants only our heart and our LOVE, despite all our short comings and sin, which God is all too aware of since he is supposed top be in charge...\\

SO since Nietzche made his infamous statement Gods people have divided and sub-divided themselves into numerous camps -- each steadfastly holding to their theology.

As Mark Sandlin writes--

Many, including myself, have deemed it the death of the Church. And, while it is true that the Church is on a voyage that will leave behind what it once was, the idea of a “dying” church is incomplete. Incomplete in the reality that one of the most defining stories in Christianity is all about death not being an ending, but, rather, being a new beginning.

Saving God: The Liberation of an Institutionalized God

SO will we allow God's image to be so altered that no one will recognize him? Or will we finally allow God to exist outside our personal biases and need for rewards?
Wasn't Nitzchke, wasn't he the linebacker for the Packers, he might have said the quarterbacks dead, but never God.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:33 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
Lip services is not commitment.
Treating those in the pew next to you is not EMBRACING your gay neighbor.
Slapping each other on the back after doughnuts and another "rousing" sermon does not house the homeless.
Handing out finger sandwiches 2 times a week does not eliminate hunger.
Sending "missionaries" to Timbuktu does not reduce poverty

Believing one is better than those poor sinners and grateful one does not go without because god-in-the-tiny-box-of-blessings has bestowed WEALTH, STATUS and INFLUENCE upon one does not make one worthy of a throne in heaven--it does however get one nominated for the Pharisaical Award and a basket full of vipers..
Amen..

Old 10-07-2015, 08:52 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,005 times
God doesn't need saving. It is humanity that needs saving. Jesus made it clear that there will be a minority that will follow the narrow path and enter into salvation. However, a large majority will perish.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:08 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
God doesn't need saving. It is humanity that needs saving. Jesus made it clear that there will be a minority that will follow the narrow path and enter into salvation. However, a large majority will perish.
You have the tense wrong, JJ . . . Humanity NEEDED saving, but Christ took care of that little detail! Jesus made it clear that God is not counting our sins against us and that we are to love God and each other every day and repent when we don't, PERIOD. All your judging and discriminating against those who you think are sinning is not only unnecessary, it is against what God wants from us. Get a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity