Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 02:53 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times

Advertisements

Ever since Friedrich Nietzche said---

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves?

(The Parable of the Madman)

The war has grown on all fronts. Evangelical demanding teh "atheists" retract and the atheists demanding the evangelicals surrender.

No one caring to admit that Nietzche's quoted ended with WE HAVE KILLED HIM...

What Nietzsche is concerned about in relating the above is that God is dead in the hearts and minds of his own generation of modern men - killed by an indifference that was itself directly related to a pronounced cultural shift away from faith and towards rationalism and science.
This same God, before becoming dead in men's hearts and minds, had provided the foundation of a "Christian-moral" defining and uniting approach to life as a shared cultural set of beliefs that had defined a social and cultural outlook within which people had lived their lives.

Today, that same statement is being spoken by the Christian Left and with the same rhetorical answer WE HAVE CONTINUED TO KILL GOD...

The evangelicals refuse to see God as compassionate and merciful and insist God be a JEALOUS God, consumed by VENGEANCE and determined to PUNISH his children. They see nothing wrong with a POWERFUL God doing as he wills, even to the point of yielding EVIL and DESTRUCTION against the mortal as a means of DEMANDING OBEDIENCE AND CONFORMITY.

The Left says God is LOVE, MERCY and FORGIVENESS and wants only our heart and our LOVE, despite all our short comings and sin, which God is all too aware of since he is supposed top be in charge...\\

SO since Nietzche made his infamous statement Gods people have divided and sub-divided themselves into numerous camps -- each steadfastly holding to their theology.

As Mark Sandlin writes--

Many, including myself, have deemed it the death of the Church. And, while it is true that the Church is on a voyage that will leave behind what it once was, the idea of a “dying” church is incomplete. Incomplete in the reality that one of the most defining stories in Christianity is all about death not being an ending, but, rather, being a new beginning.

Saving God: The Liberation of an Institutionalized God

SO will we allow God's image to be so altered that no one will recognize him? Or will we finally allow God to exist outside our personal biases and need for rewards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 03:24 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
Far better men than Nietzche have tried to declare God as dead and religion over. I'm sorry...but the opinion of liberal, secularist philosophers really is not of any consequence to me.

Old 10-06-2015, 03:28 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
Gods Not dead in the church were I go , maybe dry in some other churches but not in my church ....Pastor thinks that a harvest is just about to break out , but I think the community where My church is has only a margin of people who know God , and needs a Work ............ Still God has a prophetic Word almost every meeting and people are being blessed with healing`s and prosperity

Old 10-06-2015, 04:19 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Gods Not dead in the church were I go , maybe dry in some other churches but not in my church ....Pastor thinks that a harvest is just about to break out , but I think the community where My church is has only a margin of people who know God , and needs a Work ............ Still God has a prophetic Word almost every meeting and people are being blessed with healing`s and prosperity
And this is why we have 40+ denominations globally...

Old 10-06-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Far better men than Nietzche have tried to declare God as dead and religion over. I'm sorry...but the opinion of liberal, secularist philosophers really is not of any consequence to me.
Right over the head and straight through the ears with not a bit of comprehension...

Old 10-06-2015, 05:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
God has not come close to being defined by any man, in any book, ever.

When and if that day ever comes, it will be as a result of the merged efforts of scientists, philosophers, artists, shamans, dreamers and doers.*

*I probably left a few out. But you catch my drift.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:38 PM

63,846 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Default Can God be saved?

Yes, but we need the revelations of Christ and His Holy Spirit of agape love (Comforter) to filter out all the primitive, savage and barbaric nonsense from the religious beliefs about God. If the religions retain the savagery, barbarity and primitive superstitions as representative of God, I am afraid there will be mass defections from belief in God.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:03 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times
So the question is~ "Can God Be Saved?" I would suggest it's the Mortal Humanity which needs to be saved. What's going on in this world must be a disappointment to God .....

Free will has been totally been used and abused by many human beings..yet there are also so many who are those diamonds in the rough! The young Pakistani girl ( Malala Yousafzal) for one! But beyond this, there are far too many that use extreme views/cherry picked and quoted to suggest validity for them to appear "Righteous" and bully and try to force their views on others...SO in the end...Humanity has for exceeded their right to JUDGE God..declare dead ( tho individual can feel that way) is strictly an individual opinion..certainly NOT necessary to force their belief on anyone else...Freedom of Religion in a free society is great..however that means freedom for ONE to believe ..NOT freedom to force others to BELIEVE your own specific set of tenets!!

Conclusion..God is not in human form..so cannot be dead by human definition..SO HE does NOT require resuscitation!!!!! But humanity globally sure does!

BTW~~ In my mind..God is a universal name..and so many other religions from Buddhism, Islam, Christianity ( and their many denominations) all have a declared "Deity" or Supreme Being/Divinity in their teachings..The problem actually that each religion somehow thinks THEIR Religious Views are MORE Right than any other

Old 10-06-2015, 06:04 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Right, it is just another attempt to divide people into two opposing camps, and OP makes a clumsy attempt at misrepresenting the beliefs of others. I have never been to a church which claims God is not loving or forgiving.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
So the question is~ "Can God Be Saved?" I would suggest it's the Mortal Humanity which needs to be saved. What's going on in this world must be a disappointment to God .....

Free will has been totally been used and abused by many human beings..yet there are also so many who are those diamonds in the rough! The young Pakistani girl ( Malala Yousafzal) for one! But beyond this, there are far too many that use extreme views/cherry picked and quoted to suggest validity for them to appear "Righteous" and bully and try to force their views on others...SO in the end...Humanity has for exceeded their right to JUDGE God..declare dead ( tho individual can feel that way) is strictly an individual opinion..certainly NOT necessary to force their belief on anyone else...Freedom of Religion in a free society is great..however that means freedom for ONE to believe ..NOT freedom to force others to BELIEVE your own specific set of tenets!!

Conclusion..God is not in human form..so cannot be dead by human definition..SO HE does NOT require resuscitation!!!!! But humanity globally sure does!

BTW~~ In my mind..God is a universal name..and so many other religions from Buddhism, Islam, Christianity ( and their many denominations) all have a declared "Deity" or Supreme Being/Divinity in their teachings..The problem actually that each religion somehow thinks THEIR Religious Views are MORE Right than any other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity