Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 09:26 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
Therefore, prior to the bible, there was no divine authority on earth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Good one!!
Not good enough. Assuming FSA that God (and His Authority) was there from the beginning, a lot of other religions undeniably developed and they all claimed that their god or gods were there from the beginning and were the Authority. Which one do you choose? The one where you happen to live?

Just a hint, "praying for guidance", just poses the same question.

Quote:
This denies what we are specifically told in favor of what we are never told. We are never told anywhere in the Bible that the Bible is the word of God and the only divine authority on earth. But the Bible DOES tell us that Jesus IS the Word of God and IS the divine authority on earth AND He abides with us as the Comforter sent in His name to guide us to the truth God has "written in our hearts" so we do not need anyone to teach us. How do you explain that????
Like I said...

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-11-2015 at 09:36 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
says you not the scripture.
But don't scriptures say that following Jesus' words is needful. Just following Jesus isn't good enough. You need the words to follow. You need the instructions. You need scripture. Or is Agape Love good enough? In which case the Bishop is then OP is showing more of it than those preaching intolerance and division.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-11-2015 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Amen, pcamps.

John 5:37-40 Young's Literal Translation (YLT)
37 `And the Father who sent me Himself hath testified concerning me; ye have neither heard His voice at any time, nor His appearance have ye seen;
38 and His word ye have not remaining in you, because whom He sent, Him ye do not believe.
39 `Ye search the Writings, because ye think in them to have life age-during, and these are they that are testifying concerning Me;
40 and ye do not will to come unto Me, that ye may have life;
You will of course see that Jesus was talking to the Jews and taking issue with their reliance on their scripture. That is not the point. The point is that you make the argument not from accessing Jesus in your heart or mind but from his words as written in the Bible.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:09 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Not good enough. Assuming FSA that God (and His Authority) was there from the beginning, a lot of other religions undeniably developed and they all claimed that their god or gods were there from the beginning and were the Authority. Which one do you choose? The one where you happen to live?
Your response is a non sequitur from the statements between me and Livelystone. I addressed solely whether the bible is the only source of divine authority on earth.

My response didn't discuss other religions. My response didn't discuss a predisposition toward religion based on geography. Those are your additions, maybe based on some ill-conceived notion of yours that I must never have considered such things for myself.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:11 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
But don't scriptures say that following Jesus' words is needful. Just following Jesus isn't good enough. You need the words to follow. You need the instructions. You need scripture. Or is Agape Love good enough? In which case the Bishop is then OP is showing more of it than those preaching intolerance and division.
Enough for what ?

Old 10-11-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Your response is a non sequitur from the statements between me and Livelystone. I addressed solely whether the bible is the only source of divine authority on earth.

My response didn't discuss other religions. My response didn't discuss a predisposition toward religion based on geography. Those are your additions, maybe based on some ill-conceived notion of yours that I must never have considered such things for myself.
It only doesn't follow if you refuse to follow. If you simply ignore other religious claims then that makes it easy for you. But ok. let's just stick to the Abrahamic. The Jews have a particular form of God -worship and then Jesus comes along and says what is wrong with it. His words become the Authority - not the words of God that were on paper before him.

But if they were not written down, what could be used as authority now?

Of course, I know what you are arguing

Originally Posted by Livelystone
The Bible is the only source of divine authority on earth.

and your response. Therefore, prior to the bible, there was no divine authority on earth?

In fact that is irrelevant to where we get 'divine authority' now. If not from the Bible, where? That is why it 'follows' to question whether what is 'written on our hearts' is reliable. The point about other religions follows from that. Have you caught up yet?

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 10-11-2015 at 10:29 PM..

Old 10-11-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Enough for what ?
Enough for getting divine authority instructions about how we should live, behave and worship.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:35 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Enough for getting divine authority instructions about how we should live, behave and worship.
That will always be up for debate ?, unless we are led by an awakened conscience(you do not need to be be christian to have this)

Old 10-11-2015, 10:44 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,212,179 times
Quote:
It only doesn't follow if you refuse to follow. If you simply ignore other religious claims then that makes it easy for you. But ok. let's just stick to the Abrahamic. The Jews have a particular form of God -worship and then Jesus comes along and says what is wrong with it. His words become the Authority - not the words of God that were on paper before him.

But if they were not written down, what could be used as authority now?

Of course, I know what you are arguing

Originally Posted by Livelystone
The Bible is the only source of divine authority on earth.

and your response. Therefore, prior to the bible, there was no divine authority on earth?

In fact that is irrelevant to where we get 'divine authority' now. If not from the Bible, where? That is why it 'follows' to question whether what is 'written on our hearts' is reliable. The point about other religions follows from that. Have you caught up yet?
It's almost like you're arguing with yourself.

If I keep writing little in this thread, will you keep doing it? This is fun.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:21 PM

Quote:
That will always be up for debate ?, unless we are led by an awakened conscience(you do not need to be be christian to have this)
I agree - which is why I consider humanist morality, ethics and the rest to beat religious -based ones every time.

Quote:
It's almost like you're arguing with yourself.

If I keep writing little in this thread, will you keep doing it? This is fun.
That's partly why I do it And, yes, I am partly arguing with myself. I can't demand responses. But failure to get any does leave the impression that the other side doesn't have any.

So to restate the point - are we not dependent on the Bible to tell us what our beliefs, morality etc. ought to be because demonstrably, leaving it up to soul -searching just lets people come up with all sorts of contradictory beliefs, arguments and practices?

You are not obliged to answer but failure to do so implies that you have none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.