Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Am I wrong if I use medical marijuana?
Yes 6 9.38%
No 58 90.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 10:20 AM

18,516 posts, read 9,198,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do not think God has a problem with any plant we use.
Although the tobacco leaf can cause all sorts of fun problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 10:22 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,747,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Do not confuse Opium with Pot. Opium and its derivatives are suppressants.

The two work differently in the brain. You can die using opioids. They are addictive. Marijuana is not addictive.

I understand you were not asking the question. I have not confused you with the OP.

I do not think God has a problem with any plant we use.
The argument "it used to be legal, so it should be legal now" is your argument, not mine. I only pointed out why it is a weak argument.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Here's a radical idea: maybe the decision about MJ treatment should be made based on scientific facts, a person's medical history, risk factors like existing mental health issues, etc.

It's my understanding that some people have very bad reactions to MJ, including panic attacks, anxiety, paranoia, etc. Other people may have no issues at all. If you're going to try the stuff, make sure to start with a small dose just in case you react badly to it. Just like many other psychoactive meds.
Each person have their own criteria when making decisions. Faith is not an issue for you, but clearly it was for the OP, which is why he asked the question.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:53 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,627,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The argument "it used to be legal, so it should be legal now" is your argument, not mine. I only pointed out why it is a weak argument.
No. It is not my argument. I simply asked you to think and consider. Your argument was very weak, because you seemed to think there was a comparison to Opium. There is no comparison. They are very different chemicals.

One is a central nervous system suppressant, and with enough of it, you will die. It is also very addictive.

God is fine with marijuana. Using it has never killed anyone, or caused addiction. I think God is fine with opioids because they are useful. They do not become dangerous until they are misused, or over prescribed.

BTW Opiates, which are derived from Opium are not illegal when prescribed by a physician. Again, using opium was a poor example and a poor argument.

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 01-20-2016 at 11:39 AM..

Old 01-21-2016, 08:12 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,733,822 times
I had never touched any form of marijuana prior to last marihuana prior to last March when my son brought me edibles to try to ease some of my back pain from a ruptured disc. I went through Vietnam and overseas duty stations where it was readily available though illegal.

I finally tried a mere 10THC infused cookie. Normally 40THC is considered the amount to get "high." My discovery was that it doesn't relieve pain (for me, anyway), but it makes me not care if I'm hurting or not. Mostly I stick to one cookie, perhaps two a very few times. I don't like anything that makes me feel out of control---hence, I've never once in my 69 years been drunk on alcohol---and I'm not a teetotaler.

But idiots, and I don't mean that figuratively, who claim all the horrible effects of marijuana are subject to their own religious drug bigotry. Physicians have prescribed me tramadol (testing has proved a relationship with dementia), and hydrocodon (even more addictive than tramadol), while marijuana use has very little addictive impact on medical users. Worse, unlike MJ, the more you use them the less effective they become.

I'm in a closed healthcare system (Kaiser) that will not prescribe MJ because of the history of fundamentalists frowning on it and insisting it be outlawed. But my PCP admits he has a number of patients who report positive effects. Further, he stated it hasn't near the negative impact that my prescription drugs have on kidneys and liver. For me, I have reduced considerably the use of those far more dangerous and addictive prescription drugs. And I've never take in a day enough MJ to get a high.

God made marijuana in its natural form and it has very little in the way of addictive properties. Men made my prescription drugs that can kill very quickly, but religious zealots won't say a thing about taking those--unless the addictive nature of them sneaks up on someone.

OP, don't listen to those ignorant people that use misguided morality to try to make your behavior fit inside of their narrow morality instead of using science science to help you. They aren't concerned for your health, they value forcing you into their narrow mold of behavior. Do what can help you.

On the other hand, if I could I would use none of it, neither MJ or prescription drugs. The doctors have finally scheduled me for surgery after almost a year of useless conservative therapy and a day by day risk of drug dependence. Thank God I don't need a medical card to treat my pain with marijuana here in Colorado. Like anything else it can be wonderful if used conservatively and with common sense absent the influence of Churchianity.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:22 AM

589 posts, read 332,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 786man View Post
Hey guys, it's me again, live and direct. I was born with glaucoma in both eyes that has left me legally blind in my eight eye and visually limited in my left. I know in several states it is legal to use marijuana for medical reasons, and in Colorado and Washington you can use it recreationally.

However the Bible states to stay with a sober mind. But marijuana is organically grown and is only dried, yet the eyedrops I am subscribed have to go through NUMEROUS processes to be made and have given me various side effects. If I use it, I would want to live in a state that legalized medical usage and I would get it by legal means.

My biggest question within myself is, am I morally wrong and committing a sin if I were to use medical cannabis?
No it's okay to use it for medical purposes. People say God created it. God created all things.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:01 PM

18,516 posts, read 9,198,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
But idiots, and I don't mean that figuratively, who claim all the horrible effects of marijuana are subject to their own religious drug bigotry. Physicians have prescribed me tramadol (testing has proved a relationship with dementia), and hydrocodon (even more addictive than tramadol), while marijuana use has very little addictive impact on medical users. Worse, unlike MJ, the more you use them the less effective they become.
According to what I've read, some people can have really bad reactions to the stuff, including symptoms like anxiety, panic attacks, and paranoia. That's probably why it got banned for everybody, even if most people can use it with no big problems.

Imagine a highly religious person having a panic attack after using MJ. No wonder they might think the stuff was from the Devil himself.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:03 PM

People only feel that way if a bad spirit does it to them in which case they can call on God.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:10 PM

But freak80 is right, you may not want to do that you could have a bad panic attack. Try something else.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
It would not be a sin as the bible states that God said - I give you all the plants .... to use.
What did He tell Adam and Eve about a certain plant?

"you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die"

That's right, prohibiting a plant was among the very first things God did, so lets not pretend that everything that exists is good for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity