Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 11:05 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
What I am saying is that it is baseless to claim people of faith in God wholeheartedly reject ALL science just because of difference of opinion in the origins of the earth and man.

I understand it's at attempt to either make us feel stupid, or lift yourselves up - but I see it for what it is.
No.

You see it for what you want it to be. For what fundamentalists NEED it to be, lest their shaky faith collapse completely.

I find it very sad that otherwise intelligent people can be so foolish. There is absolutely no need to dismiss belief in Jesus-as-God simply because one realizes Genesis is a myth and evolution is true.

The two are not incompatible - as by far the majority of Christians realize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 11:10 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
I don't know in your case... for me, parents' testimony, birth certificate, hospital records... I think it's provable.
They must be fake.

You know, like Obama's.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:10 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Based on your statement, no one could convict a person of murder without an eye witness , nor could paternity be established in questionable cases unless someone watched the couple having sex.

Genetics is just as much evidence in evolution as it is in criminal cases and paternity cases. Your rejection of science doesnt alter that one iota.
Not true - that is not what I am saying.

I understand there is DNA evidence. DNA evidence is evidence that exists and can be taken into consideration.

There is a difference between science, and theories or hypotheses or assumptions.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:12 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:

I understand there is DNA evidence. DNA evidence is evidence that exists and can be taken into consideration.

There is a difference between science, and theories or hypotheses or assumptions.

That bolded statement just shows you have NO idea of science at all.

Noted.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No.

You see it for what you want it to be. For what fundamentalists NEED it to be, lest their shaky faith collapse completely.

I find it very sad that otherwise intelligent people can be so foolish. There is absolutely no need to dismiss belief in Jesus-as-God simply because one realizes Genesis is a myth and evolution is true.

The two are not incompatible - as by far the majority of Christians realize.
Regarding the young earth and old earth - I agree that belief in Christ doesn't matter.

Evolution - yeah, that's a problem in that it directly contradicts Genesis and how man originated.

Science is not at odds with people of faith. Unbelievers are at odds with people of faith.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:18 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:

And DNA evidence exists that show us to be akin to the apes. You may not like it, but it exists. Chimp DNA and human DNA have been mapped out , and the evidence shows a common heritage.

This doesnt even address the things like common defective genes found among apes and humans, or the vestigial organs of evolution, like the snake smelling organ we still possess in vestigial form.

The evidence is there for those willing to see it. For those that refuse to see it due to religious beliefs , nothing will ever be evidence enough to alter their indoctrination.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
[/b]

That bolded statement just shows you have NO idea of science at all.

Noted.
I see science as the actual lab work, experiments, research on what exists, or on actual evidence.

Theories - can be made from research or not.

Hypotheses - are usually formulated before the actual research takes place.

Assumptions are assumptions.

If you do not have actual real data, you have to make an assumption at some point.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:23 AM

122 posts, read 112,367 times
Quote:
I don't reject science. I have an engineering degree. I have done the lab work.

There is no science that can prove humans originating from animals - because no one has seen it happen. There is no real evidence. Science is based on research and evidence of what is in existence.

My only issue is, for those who believe in "science" about the earth's age and the origin of man, to realize that they are no difference from the Bible believers - in that both views are taken by faith.
Yes, a point that you or I can make ad nauseam without ever penetrating the brains of the True Believers in scientism. This thread has predictably evolved from the "nonsense of Young Earth Creationism," about which the vast majority of believers and nonbelievers of all stripes can agree, to "the nonsense of anyone who holds a Biblical worldview" (or even beyond that, to "the nonsense of anyone who questions the prevailing scientific paradigm"). There is rather a large gulf between the two. Statements that the Biblical worldview is fading and will eventually vanish are simply silly wishful thinking by True Believers in scientism who are nothing more than the mirror image of those they ridicule and despise. But the debate is pointless - without fail, threads like this descend into pissing contests and go nowhere.

If a Christian casually refers to the earth as being "round," it is going to precipitate a stream of hostile threads insisting that only a moron with no background in science would make such a statement and that the earth is in fact an oblate spheroid. Any statement by a Christian is a red flag to the bulls of scientism. The reality is, the Intelligent Design movement has merit and momentum, which is why it must be ridiculed and shouted down rather than confronted head-on. Anyone familiar with The Structure of Scientific Revolutions knows the game. Just to pick one author, Signature In the Cell, Darwin's Doubt and Debating Darwin's Doubt are scarcely YEC-level stuff, yet they are lumped together with "dinosaurs on Noah's ark" and I can almost guarantee that someone will inform me that only a credulous fool would take them seriously. On it goes, on the road to nowhere.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
And DNA evidence exists that show us to be akin to the apes. You may not like it, but it exists. Chimp DNA and human DNA have been mapped out , and the evidence shows a common heritage.

This doesnt even address the things like common defective genes found among apes and humans, or the vestigial organs of evolution, like the snake smelling organ we still possess in vestigial form.

The evidence is there for those willing to see it. For those that refuse to see it due to religious beliefs , nothing will ever be evidence enough to alter their indoctrination.
I am not arguing that apes and humans have similarities. That's obvious.

We didn't originate from them. Doesn't happen now. It has never happened. There is no real evidence. You take that theory by faith.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:40 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
No Verifiable evdience has been posted. It does not exist. Every scientific "study" always carries the words listed as no true evdience exists for macro Evolution. Genetics is destroying the belief as EVERY test shows Macro Cannot happen and never has. The morphology is a joke as the few "examples" are millions of years separated, according to the "tests", so only speculatory evdience no direct links. Childish reasoning. Kinda like seeing a very old round rock and saying it morphed into a Volkswagen over time.Then we have the Chimp DNA to Human comparison, another joke. The claim is 95% the same. Nope only a small amount of human DNA was compared. When the entire DNA chain of both is checked the linkage is well below 70 % . NO link at all, except in the pick and chose portions of reports to post. GO read the full report and see what was actually compared. This is another example of the blind belief of those who follow Macro Evolution.
The verifiable evidence does exist. You just reject the conclusions.

The rejection of morphology shows how flawed your arguments are. It makes no difference to the arm bones in whales. They are just as arm like in modern whales as in the ancient ones.

DNA is not in the least destroying the evidence of evolution. I presume that you are referring to the recent studies about why species cannot interbreed That is one of the reasons why evolution works. It only destroys this false idea of the mechanics of evolution the accouding to the Creationist absurdity about one species interbreeding with another.

Your absurd analogy of a rock turning into a Volkswagen only flags up how little you even understand what you are talking about. "Oh.. armbones in birds and feathers on dinosaurs only look like armbones or feathers by coincidence."...development of bioforms in correlation to the date of strata only looks like they developed over time..just a coincidence." If your arguments thus far are that weak I am not putting a lot of reliance on your argument from 70% linkage. I can't even relate that to any of the genetic studies. I almost hate to ask but just what is that intended to mean or prove?

Apart from that all you have done is to laugh off evidence and say there isn't any and demonstrate that you have no understand in of the subject. This is no surprise as it is par for the course for Creationists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity