Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 03:03 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,077,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
It carries different meanings--God for the true God--a title not a name---gods for false gods--majestic--judges, etc. It is not a personal name.
It has more of a sense of "The Powers"...But, you'd have to understand Hebrew in order to understand that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Jeesh! Try reading my posts before jumping to conclusions. I just got through saying, "I was really not arguing that it was a name." But, it is the title by which I would address God the Father. If you'd address Him as Jehovah, that's fine with me. I just happen to believe that Jehovah is Elohim's only begotten Son.
There is no "J" in the Hebrew language, Kat...

Old 12-19-2015, 04:33 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,926,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It has more of a sense of "The Powers"...But, you'd have to understand Hebrew in order to understand that...

I knew you know the sense of Elohim, but many seem to think its Gods name and it is not. They are also taught it means--gods for the true God.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:35 PM

28,114 posts, read 30,023,553 times
Quote:
There is no "J" in the Hebrew language, Kat...
Okay, well maybe we're spelling it wrong. If you believe there had been a man we English-speakers call "Jesus," who was born to a Jewish woman back in New Testament times, what would she likely have called him? And I'm curious, since I didn't know what you're telling me, how would the Hebrew would for Jewish be pronounced in English?

See, it doesn't really matter to me whether there is a "J" in the Hebrew language or not. I mean my son's name is James. The Russian equivalent for James is Dmitri. The Spanish is Diego. If I call the person I believe to be my Savior "Jesus" and believe He was known premortally as "Jehovah," it doesn't really change anything in my mind if there's no Hebrew letter "J".

Old 12-19-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, well maybe we're spelling it wrong. If you believe there had been a man we English-speakers call "Jesus," who was born to a Jewish woman back in New Testament times, what would she likely have called him? And I'm curious, since I didn't know what you're telling me, how would the Hebrew would for Jewish be pronounced in English?
His name would be Yeshua...However, If memory serves. and I am 50 now, sooo, IDK, but it was a German Scholar who first proffered the Name Jehovah, but the Germans pronounce the "J" like a "Y", so it would be "Yehovah"...But, that is still partially wrong the way the English would pronounce it, because the "vav" back then was actually "waw", a "W" sound so you would have "Yehowah", and in German, the "W" is pronounced as a "V"...So, there is the mix-up on the pronunciation of that word...But, that is still not how G-d's Name is pronounced...

Old 12-19-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
I knew you know the sense of Elohim, but many seem to think its Gods name and it is not. They are also taught it means--gods for the true God.
Well, while Elohim can be used for "gods", one must pay particular attention to the following verbs and/or adjectives that will tell you to who is being referred...If the verbs/adjectives are in the singular, it is talking about HaShem, if in the plural, then it is talking about other "gods"...

Old 12-19-2015, 04:53 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,174,379 times
I believe the Angel who said His name is Jesus

Old 12-19-2015, 05:35 PM

63,921 posts, read 40,194,112 times
Quote:
His name would be Yeshua...However, If memory serves. and I am 50 now, sooo, IDK, but it was a German Scholar who first proffered the Name Jehovah, but the Germans pronounce the "J" like a "Y", so it would be "Yehovah"...But, that is still partially wrong the way the English would pronounce it, because the "vav" back then was actually "waw", a "W" sound so you would have "Yehowah", and in German, the "W" is pronounced as a "V"...So, there is the mix-up on the pronunciation of that word...But, that is still not how G-d's Name is pronounced...
You know this fascination (or trepidation) with saying the proper name of God (or the wrong name in blasphemy) seems rather pointless, since there is only ONE God. It seems to me to paraphrase Shakespeare that "a God by any name would still be God." Actually, I prefer the name Jesus suggested and it is the one I use, Abba.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:44 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,401,549 times
Jesús in Spanish.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You know this fascination (or trepidation) with saying the proper name of God (or the wrong name in blasphemy) seems rather pointless, since there is only ONE God. It seems to me to paraphrase Shakespeare that "a God by any name would still be God." Actually, I prefer the name Jesus suggested and it is the one I use, Abba.
Did I say that it was blasphemy?...

אַב בא
A Father is coming...Or Father Come...

Last edited by Richard1965; 12-19-2015 at 06:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity