Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 04:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,281,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Actually you thought we collaborate behind the scenes on these posts and give each other rep points, as you probably do.
Ummm....nope. I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic or what I posted, but you are wrong. I don't think that.

Nor do I collaborate behind the scenes. I work solo. God gave me a brain and the ability to do that. So....wrong on that too.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-17-2016 at 05:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 09:11 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,282,646 times
Quote:
Because it is sin

I am simply responding to the claim of why it is an overwhelming issue. It is not because of people who believe it is sin. Others claiming to be tolerant find it intolerant that we believe as we do - and there's a big fight.

Sin is described as yeast that spreads through the entire lump of dough. We are seeing it with the homosexual issue.
Speak for yourself.

And a few other dwindling fundies.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:35 PM

6,827 posts, read 2,951,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Sadly, I think Evangelical Christianity is ignoring pretty much all sins -- including homsexuality.
That might be because WE ALL sin, according to the Bible. So, why battle against this fact? Just try to accept your neighbor, warts and all. Yes, it can be difficult, but . . . . . .

Moreover, yet again (*sigh*) ...one's sexuality is not and cannot be wrong (a sin). It's simply the way a person is hard-wired. And, naturally, people are going to be drawn to others who are similarly hard-wired. It really IS a non-issue. Just be happy, rejoice in the Lord and sing some happy, uplifting songs!

Quote:
I think the average person sitting in the pew on Sunday morning has no clue what is and isn't sin.
Mightn't that not be such a bad thing? Focusing on sin constantly (usually the perceived sins of others) has been a preoccupation of too many Christians for far too long. Maybe things are beginning to look up in the Evangelical Church after all . . .

Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,964,746 times
Quote:
Sadly, I think Evangelical Christianity is ignoring pretty much all sins -- including homsexuality. I think the average person sitting in the pew on Sunday morning has no clue what is and isn't sin.
Not our church maybe we are the exception, when I hear that, it makes me think that one as a believer is still living in their sin or cherry-picking which is and which isn't.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:32 PM

64,026 posts, read 40,331,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Not our church maybe we are the exception, when I hear that, it makes me think that one as a believer is still living in their sin or cherry-picking which is and which isn't.
What do you NOT understand about "GOD IS NOT COUNTING OUR SINS AGAINST US?????" Why are you so preoccupied (I would say obsessed) with sin????

Old 05-17-2016, 10:57 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,964,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What do you NOT understand about "GOD IS NOT COUNTING OUR SINS AGAINST US?????" Why are you so preoccupied (I would say obsessed) with sin????
`No, you are the one that does not understand when we accept Christ as our Lord and Savior does not mean we keep in our sins, we as individuals are to have a change of mind and heart as the Holy Spirit within us has made us renewed, like wiping the slate clean as we want to be like Christ .Jesus died on the cross to carry that burden of sin for all mankind so we didn't have to count the numerous sins in the past but to know that they have been forgiven.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:14 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,574,393 times
Quote:
Now why is that? Maybe because the gossipers are not pushing others to accept gossip... and adjust laws that accepts gossip, or adjust laws that accept stealing, or murder or other sins. PayPal is not moving from NC because stealing is blocked from being accepted. Everyone seems to be clear on those sins. So there is no need to deal with them extensively.

Not so much with the sin of homosexual behavior...
That may be Doc, but I wasn't thinking that. I was thinking that on a typical Sunday morning, I sit in a congregation of about 300 or so people. I'd bet a dollar that more than 99% of them are not living a homosexual lifestyle. I would double down on the bet that 99% of those people, myself included, have committed the sin of gossip, idolatry, wrath, greed, or lust. Much to my dismay, modern churchianity is actually operating from a humanist worldview rather than a biblical worldview. Conviction of sin by the Holy Spirit is what brings repentance, not the Forrest Gump approach. (Momma said it was just a little white lie, so that's ok)

Old 05-19-2016, 09:38 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,249,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
I'm one of those fundies as it were, and there is definitely no denying that this is an issue. I long to hear a Sunday sermon that is just as convicting about gossip, idolatry, or covetousness. I'm growing tired of the same old thing, primarily because I find it so generic and watered down.
I have preached against those, when the text addressed them.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:39 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,249,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Romans 6:1-2 "What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 May it never be! How shall we who died to sin still live in it?"

Not that it matters to you what the Bible actually says....

Old 05-19-2016, 09:49 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,622,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I think reality is fundies has such deep hatred towards the LGBT community that their religion is morphing into nothing more than an organization dedicated to hating these people and making themselves feel superior because they aren't gay.
That's not what it the matter is about.
In reality, this issue is not even about religion.
It's about the abillity or current lack thereof of like-minded
citizens to live within a society that is harmonious with their
long-standing beliefs and expectations, for themselves and
for their children. I would once again remind you that
aversion to homosexuality is not an exclusively Christian moral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity