Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 06:13 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,398,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Nope. If the Spirit guides you to realize the words are the same, and come from God, then how does one have authority over the other?
All you are saying really and you don't see you are, is the spirit(which God is) and the bible are one and the same. That God spoke the word, the bible records it and then God uses it to reach man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 06:18 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,968,884 times
Quote:
Nope. If the Spirit guides you to realize the words are the same, and come from God, then how does one have authority over the other?
Authority is not a question of whether something is true or not, it is a matter of why you believe it to be true. If you believe something because it is in the book, then that is your authority. If uyou believe it because the Spirit confirms it, then the Spirit is your authority (guide).

Old 07-10-2016, 07:36 AM

1,146 posts, read 652,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Okay what has been puzzling to me since I joined this forum is the immense hatred to those who keep to a literal, Biblical Christian worldview. Sometimes I seriously need to recheck if this is the "Christianity" forum. The attitudes are very hostile, and the atmosphere imo very negative in general. And ironically the people that proclaim 'agape love', (or refer to Dan & John Ford Coley songs on love), are usually the ones most hostile and impatient towards Bible believing Christians.

So why does the agape love fly out of the door all of a sudden when confronted with other views? Even if other views claim exclusivity, and you don't agree, shouldn't agape love, love them nonetheless?
Why is there a need to keep denegrating faithful Christians as "fundies", bigoted, hateful, small-minded, etc. If agape love is indeed agape (universal and unconditional), then shouldn't that include "fundies"?

Maybe I am wrong, and I am new on the forum, but do others recognise this hostile attitude?
Hostile attitudes are usually representative of those who hate God, Church, Christians, Jews and anyone who has a modicum of morality.

Morality, by the way, is the new four letter word. Bring up morality in any discussion with atheists or gays and you'll touch a festering nerve. They believe they have their own standard of behavior and refuse suggestions otherwise. There is no logic to it at all. It is pure hate of anything or anyone who might suggest they are wrong or sinners or wandering upon indelicate paths. There is no tradition behind it and rarely any sort of justification. It is all very subjective. It is all very hostile.

Does the following Old Testament portion sound familiar?

How long, Lord, must I call for help,
but you do not listen?
Or cry out to you, “Violence!”
but you do not save?
3 Why do you make me look at injustice?
Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?
Destruction and violence are before me;
there is strife, and conflict abounds.
4Therefore the law is paralyzed,
and justice never prevails.
The wicked hem in the righteous,
so that justice is perverted.

- Habakkuk 1:1-4

In the last days of ancient Israel, God brought judment to bear upon the nation. One of the judgments was the dilution of justice and the persecution of the righteous.

My Rabbi preached on this during last shabbat.(*) He believes that America is now being subjected to greater and greater judgments of God. One of these judgments is similar to the above quoted portion - loss of justice.

A number of current events underline this interpretation including but not limited to Orlando & Dallas.

Unless the people of the United States repent of their wickedness, worse will come.

IF GOD DOES NOT JUDGE AMERICA, HE WILL HAVE TO APOLOGIZE TO SODOM AND GOMORRAH.
- Shanghai curse August 1937

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft....

(*) Shabbat means sabbath. I am a member of a Messianic Jewish congregation. Our worship and ideology is rooted in Jewish tradition with the additional qualification that we believe that Yeshuah Ha-mashiah IS the Son of God who lived in history, died on a cross, rose from the dead and ascended into heaven. He will return again to head His messianic Kingdom on earth.

Yeshuah Ha-mashiah is the original Hebrew name of THE Son of God. The Hellinized form of His name is Jesus Christ.

As we often say in temple, "Blessed be the glorious name of Yeshuah. Amen."

Old 07-10-2016, 07:46 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,439,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Morality, by the way, is the new four letter word. Bring up morality in any discussion with atheists or gays and you'll touch a festering nerve. They believe they have their own standard of behavior and refuse suggestions otherwise. There is no logic to it at all. It is pure hate of anything or anyone who might suggest they are wrong or sinners or wandering upon indelicate paths. There is no tradition behind it and rarely any sort of justification. It is all very subjective. It is all very hostile.

You guys are funny. Seeking the best for everyone within a community, and basing moral standards on whether something is harmful or beneficial or neutral is NOT LOGICAL, and HOSTILE.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,797,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Pope of authority has spoken, if you believe they equate to the same thing?
I believe the Spirit is greater than man's written words on unbleached parchment.
Please explain the difference between the two:

1. Love your neighbor as yourself

2. Love your neighbor as yourself

Old 07-10-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Authority is not a question of whether something is true or not, it is a matter of why you believe it to be true. If you believe something because it is in the book, then that is your authority. If uyou believe it because the Spirit confirms it, then the Spirit is your authority (guide).
All the talk about 'authority' is your invention. You keep claiming the bible is other peoples authority, and yet NO ONE has ever said that to be the case.

You can declare anything you want about your own views, but you risk getting on the path of lies when you start making such declarations of other people. Let people speak for themselves.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-10-2016 at 08:32 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Hostile attitudes are usually representative of those who hate God, Church, Christians, Jews and anyone who has a modicum of morality.
Yep.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:27 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,053,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You guys are funny. Seeking the best for everyone within a community, and basing moral standards on whether something is harmful or beneficial or neutral is NOT LOGICAL, and HOSTILE.
No what is illogical is that you get to decide what is 'best for everyone' and whether or not something is 'beneficial or neutral'. Your own moral standards are behind that judgment which is not from God but from the imaginations of your own heart. And you think those standards which you've made up yourself are so right and universal that anyone who disagrees gets hostility and mockery.

But the standards that you hold, do not hold up to the Word of God, which you reject in the first place, so they get rejected by those who do hold up the Word of God. And that just angers you so much that your phony 'agape love' explodes in hostility towards those that uphold Gods moral standards instead of man's selfrighteousness.

Jeremiah 23:16-22 Thus saith the Lord of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, and not out of the mouth of the Lord. They say still unto them that despise me, The Lord hath said, Ye shall have peace; and they say unto every one that walketh after the imagination of his own heart, No evil shall come upon you. For who hath stood in the counsel of the Lord, and hath perceived and heard his word? who hath marked his word, and heard it? Behold, a whirlwind of the Lord is gone forth in fury, even a grievous whirlwind: it shall fall grievously upon the head of the wicked. The anger of the Lord shall not return, until he have executed, and till he have performed the thoughts of his heart: in the latter days ye shall consider it perfectly. I have not sent these prophets, yet they ran: I have not spoken to them, yet they prophesied. But if they had stood in my counsel, and had caused my people to hear my words, then they should have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Yep.
And Homosexuals, sinners, unbelievers, those who oppose fundamentalism, and refuse to wear the same burdensome yoke they wear, those who teach love is the greatest, those that say the kingdom is within, those that say the scriptures are not inerrant.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Please explain the difference between the two:

1. Love your neighbor as yourself

2. Love your neighbor as yourself
That depends on which eye you are using to read it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity