Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 09:25 PM

225 posts, read 112,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
We all sin. The verses are speaking about someone who is willfully sinning and knows it. They are believers who have accepted the standards and then ignore or reject them.

We all should love the sinner in the sense of trying to help them while we can, but beyond a certain point, where they have rejected the help then the directive to avoid them must be obeyed.

It is also a step to help them see they cannot sin with no consequences and avoidance is better than death, which would be their fate (with likely no resurrection) if they don't repent and change.

God does not love willful sinners who refuse to change after help is offered and rejected.

If He loved all sinners, Adam would never have died.
WHY are sinners sinning? And to kill a human for disobedience, casting death to the whole human race, and demanding all obey him isn't acts worthy of a God who claims to rule period, and forget in righteousness. When his power fails... Bible God, stop being lead by selfish and sick Antichrist.. "Destroy Babylon, destroy babylon" then the light and Jews.."horror is of the devil"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,389,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The focus should be on yourselves, not others.
Quote:
That is what Adam did and look where that got us.

I prefer to follow Jesus' example who put others ahead of himself. A good example to follow.

Oh, he also rejected Judas when he had turned against him and sent him away before that final meal and the establishment of the new covenant. He was no part of it and an example of the verses in question.
Now if you mean our focus should be on our own sins, you are partly right, but again God's word tells us to help others also, so we can't ignore their sinning and just treat it as OK. Not very loving on our art. How you treat them shows love for others, or self.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
I think Jerwade meant in the way of judging people.

If he didn't mean it that way, then yes, it's a very selfish comment.
Quote:
I agree that is probably what he meant which is why I included:

"Now if you mean our focus should be on our own sins, you are partly right, but again God's word tells us to help others also, so we can't ignore their sinning and just treat it as OK. Not very loving on our part. How you treat them shows love for others, or self."
I do not believe in separation, rather self-examination.
And, neither of you are in any position to judge another.

Old 06-24-2016, 06:45 AM

689 posts, read 550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I brought this up in another thread about condemning others, and got various responses from Christians like " I'll continue to talk about sin all I want . Go cry about it if you want ." I repeatedly asked what this passage meant to them then, without a single Christian coming back to answer . Christians refusing to answer questions is always a red flag , and red flags deserve their own threads if they are going to be ignored in other threads . So here we go .

1 Corinthians 5:9–13

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13 God judges those outside. Purge the evil person from among you.”

What exactly do Christians think Paul means in verse 12 specifically? Not to divorce it from its larger context , but what specifically do Christians see this verse as meaning?
He's talking about those Christians choose to continue to sin without repentance, and with their sin made known to others as a result of legalizing the sin itself inside church.

1 Corinthians 5:12-13 (MSG)
I'm not responsible for what the outsiders do, but don't we have some responsibility for those within our community of believers?
God decides on the outsiders, but we need to decide when our brothers and sisters are out of line and, if necessary, clean house.

Repentance and believe with faith are the 2 must requirements in the New Covenant. So it's pointless for the church to get to the unbelievers if believers themselves refuse to repent but to sin continuously and to make their sin legitimate inside the church. These kind of believers thus shall be expelled from church or else the church's capability of saving souls will thus be disabled.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:06 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
He's talking about those Christians choose to continue to sin without repentance, and with their sin made known to others as a result of legalizing the sin itself inside church.

1 Corinthians 5:12-13 (MSG)
I'm not responsible for what the outsiders do, but don't we have some responsibility for those within our community of believers?
God decides on the outsiders, but we need to decide when our brothers and sisters are out of line and, if necessary, clean house.

Repentance and believe with faith are the 2 must requirements in the New Covenant. So it's pointless for the church to get to the unbelievers if believers themselves refuse to repent but to sin continuously and to make their sin legitimate inside the church. These kind of believers thus shall be expelled from church or else the church's capability of saving souls will thus be disabled.
One of the things we should be doing is repenting of the practice of condemnation of others, both inside and outside the church, based on misconstruing the intent of scripture due to prejudice.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:15 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,421,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
One of the things we should be doing is repenting of the practice of condemnation of others, both inside and outside the church, based on misconstruing the intent of scripture due to prejudice.
Humm and you believe this means what?

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13 God judges those outside. Purge the evil person from among you.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:26 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
Quote:

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13 God judges those outside. Purge the evil person from among you.”
You should notice that the list of practices is about things that are demonstrably harmful to the person involved and to members of the body, so that is one of the things we should discern about such practices: they are inherently harmful, and those that are not harmful in themselves should be reassessed as to whether they should be included on the list as "sin."

Old 06-24-2016, 07:43 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,408,675 times
Quote:

9 I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people— 10 not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13 God judges those outside. Purge the evil person from among you.

Not a Greek scholar, but when I look at a literal rendering of verse 13, it says to purge the EVIL, not the person. And verse 9 & 11, where it is translated as "associate" has the connotation of not being INTIMATE with immoral people. IOW, don't get busy with them and don't do what they're doing. You don't have to disassociate from or shun someone to not participate in whatever "evil" they are doing.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:17 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,704,417 times
So worth repeating once again .
It is always important to read the surrounding scripture and then the Spirit is able to teach truth rather then personal opinions being past for God's real truth .

Then ppl can understand the whole context of the scripture ! When you isolate scripture your going to get all kinds of misunderstandings and false teaching of what a certain scripture is presenting to teach .

False teachers always like to insert their interpretations especially by isolating a certain scripture and subtract truth to deflect ppl from God's truth !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
ETA: posting 1Corinthians 5 for those who are passing by lurking and for the one who is seeking God's Spirit and truth !
It's always wonderful to have God's holy scripture of truth in front of us to compare and discern the error of false teaching ! Too many ppl like to post their opinion in place of what God word says, His truth and claim it to be His truth

1 Corinthians 5 (NASB)

Immorality Rebuked

1 It is actually reported that there is immorality among you, and immorality of such a kind as does not exist even among the Gentiles, that someone has his father’s wife.
2 You have become arrogant and have not mourned instead, so that the one who had done this deed would be removed from your midst.

3 For I, on my part, though absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged him who has so committed this, as though I were present.
4 In the name of our Lord Jesus, when you are assembled, and I with you in spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus,
5 I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

6 Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough?
7 Clean out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump, just as you are in fact unleavened. For Christ our Passover also has been sacrificed.
8 Therefore let us celebrate the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

9 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people;
10 I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world.
11 But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler—not even to eat with such a one.
12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church?
13 But those who are outside, God judges. Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.

Blessing's

The Lord will protect you from all evil; He will keep your soul. The Lord will guard your going out and your coming in From this time forth and forever.
Psalm 121:7-8 NASB

Old 06-24-2016, 09:46 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I brought this up in another thread about condemning others, and got various responses from Christians like " I'll continue to talk about sin all I want . Go cry about it if you want ." I repeatedly asked what this passage meant to them then, without a single Christian coming back to answer . Christians refusing to answer questions is always a red flag , and red flags deserve their own threads if they are going to be ignored in other threads . So here we go .
It; funny you'd copy the thread to this forum, and repeat the same lies about what was said and what was not said.

1. No one said "" I'll continue to talk about sin all I want . Go cry about it if you want ."

2. Contrary to your claim, multiple posters, including myself, gave their views about the verse.

The verses are quite clear as have been pointed out to you on both threads.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 06-24-2016 at 09:54 AM..

Old 06-24-2016, 09:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Just wondering, do you think calling for repentance is judging? Repentance is a call to turn away from sin, and towards God. Is it a bad thing to do that to the unbelieving world?
This day and age Christians are accused of "judging" when they discuss the Bible. If the message in the Bible makes them feel judged, then is it the Christian discussing the Bible judging them? No, they are judged by the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity