Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 01:42 PM

1,799 posts, read 565,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I used to think that until I studied Scripture.
1 Timothy 2

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers,(A) intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority,(B) that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness(C) and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases(D) God our Savior,(E) 4 who wants(F) all people(G) to be saved(H) and to come to a knowledge of the truth.(I) 5 For there is one God(J) and one mediator(K) between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,(L) 6 who gave himself as a ransom(M) for all people. This has now been witnessed to(N) at the proper time.(O) 7 And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying(P)—and a true and faithful teacher(Q) of the Gentiles.(R)

2 Cor 5:15

And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

There . Calvinism refuted .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 01:49 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,092,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
1 Timothy 2

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers,(A) intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— 2 for kings and all those in authority,(B) that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness(C) and holiness. 3 This is good, and pleases(D) God our Savior,(E) 4 who wants(F) all people(G) to be saved(H) and to come to a knowledge of the truth.(I) 5 For there is one God(J) and one mediator(K) between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus,(L) 6 who gave himself as a ransom(M) for all people. This has now been witnessed to(N) at the proper time.(O) 7 And for this purpose I was appointed a herald and an apostle—I am telling the truth, I am not lying(P)—and a true and faithful teacher(Q) of the Gentiles.(R)

2 Cor 5:15

And he died for all, that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again.

There . Calvinism refuted .
Scripture also says that he wants all men to not sin. So why do we sin?

Old 12-23-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Scripture also says that he wants all men to not sin. So why do we sin?
The two are unrelated. God may want all people not to sin, but has no control over this unless we are made into robots .God , on the other hand, has complete control over Its will and plan for salvation. The Bible clearly indicates God wants all men to be saved and that Christ died for all men.

Calvinism is a heresy that, in the words of one theologian “ spits in the face of God and the Bible”.

Calvinism is an embarrassment to Christianity because it makes a laughingstock out of it by teaching that God doesn’t love everyone and chooses some people to spend an eternity in torment simply at the whim of God not choosing them. Very hard to take that sort of theology with any amount of seriousness .

Old 12-23-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
The two are unrelated. God may want all people not to sin, but has no control over this unless we are made into robots .God , on the other hand, has complete control over Its will and plan for salvation. The Bible clearly indicates God wants all men to be saved and that Christ died for all men.
Oh, so God tells people to do that which he doesn't force them to do? And you somehow think that invalidates the idea of predestination and election?

Old 12-23-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Oh, so God tells people to do that which he doesn't force them to do? And you somehow think that invalidates the idea of predestination and election?
This sentence makes no sense. You are trying to conflate two different things.

The Bible says God wants all men to be saved . Period . It also says Christ died for all . Period .

These two statements in the Bible refute Calvinism . End of story . Calvinism is a heresy that teaches that God doesn’t love everyone and sends people to hell on a whim. It is an embarrassment to Christianity and the concept of a just and loving God .

Old 12-23-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
This sentence makes no sense. You are trying to conflate two different things.

The Bible says God wants all men to be saved . Period . It also says Christ died for all . Period .

These two statements in the Bible refute Calvinism . End of story . Calvinism is a heresy that teaches that God doesn’t love everyone and sends people to hell on a whim. It is an embarrassment to Christianity and the concept of a just and loving God .
And the Bible also says we are to not sin. But we do.

So God DOES want what doesn't necessarily happen. I'm sorry if you have a hatred for Calvinism. How about instead you just ask what the Bible teaches, versus what you think Calvinism is?

Old 12-23-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
And the Bible also says we are to not sin. But we do.

So God DOES want what doesn't necessarily happen. I'm sorry if you have a hatred for Calvinism. How about instead you just ask what the Bible teaches, versus what you think Calvinism is?
Again, totally unrelated. What God wants relative to the behavior of others and what God wants relative to Its own will are not the same. Regardless of whether everyone gets saved or not, God has declared that It desires this. This refutes Calvinism completely. And the 5 points of Calvinism are clearly defined, it’s not something I have to wonder about . And predestination and limited atonement are not biblical. Not even in the slightest. It is an aberrant form of Protestant Christianity .

Old 12-23-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Again, totally unrelated. What God wants relative to the behavior of others and what God wants relative to Its own will are not the same. Regardless of whether everyone gets saved or not, God has declared that It desires this. This refutes Calvinism completely. And the 5 points of Calvinism are clearly defined, it’s not something I have to wonder about . And predestination and limited atonement are not biblical. Not even in the slightest. It is an aberrant form of Protestant Christianity .
Again. He commands and he desires things that don't necessarily happen. That's the point.

Aside from your silly screed against Calvinism.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Again. He commands and he desires things that don't necessarily happen. That's the point.

Aside from your silly screed against Calvinism.
Again. The issue is Gods will. Are you saying that when the Bible says God wants all men to be saved God is incapable of controlling Its own will and chooses not to make salvation available to all even though that was Gods desire?

You seem confused .

As to the silly screed, normal theologians regard Calvinism as a dangerous heresy that undermines the very character of God, as it turns God from a loving God to a capricious one who sends people to eternal torment on a personal whim . Hardly a decent form of Christianity.

Old 12-23-2021, 03:58 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,398,967 times
Quote:
Calvinism, it beats you up, gives you just enough grace to get you back up again, then beats you up again.

He lifted me up out of the pit and out of the miry clay is a pipe dream to the calvinist, and is happy for all to be be in that pit with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity