Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2021, 04:03 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,063,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatesDude View Post
Again. The issue is Gods will. Are you saying that when the Bible says God wants all men to be saved God is incapable of controlling Its own will and chooses not to make salvation available to all even though that was Gods desire?

You seem confused .

As to the silly screed, normal theologians regard Calvinism as a dangerous heresy that undermines the very character of God, as it turns God from a loving God to a capricious one who sends people to eternal torment on a personal whim . Hardly a decent form of Christianity.
I'm saying that we can clearly see in Scripture that God desires some things, but they do not happen. Not because he doesn't want them, but because he allows them to not happen.

He desires that we not sin. But we do. He desires that all me be saved. But not all will be. It really is that simple. If we take an honest look at Scripture, that's what we see. No matter what your personal bias is against whatever system of belief we're talking about, it's that clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2021, 04:12 PM

1,799 posts, read 564,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm saying that we can clearly see in Scripture that God desires some things, but they do not happen. Not because he doesn't want them, but because he allows them to not happen.

He desires that we not sin. But we do. He desires that all me be saved. But not all will be. It really is that simple. If we take an honest look at Scripture, that's what we see. No matter what your personal bias is against whatever system of belief we're talking about, it's that clear.
Again, a totally unrelated point. The issue here is not something outside Gods control, like the sin of people, but Gods own will. Again, are you suggesting God has no control over Itself? That on the one hand God can say It desires all men to be saved, but when it comes to putting the plan of salvation into action God couldn’t make Itself do what It desires, and instead God created the limited atonement of Calvinism against Its own will ? How ridiculous. That’s the issue here, Gods own will in enacting the plan of salvation, not unrelated issues God can’t control .

Old 12-23-2021, 04:12 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:

Was Paul lying when he said he could do all things through Christ who strengthens him? The Paul who said we are more than conquerors ?

Just think God is able and if he is, we who are joined to him in Spirit are too. This is Sunday school stuff.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Again, a totally unrelated point. The issue here is not something outside Gods control, like the sin of people, but Gods own will.
Nothing is "outside God's control". Nowhere have I remotely suggested that. Not sure why you keep making that claim.
Quote:

Again, are you suggesting God has no control over Itself? That on the one hand God can say It desires all men to be saved, but when it comes to putting the plan of salvation into action God couldn’t make Itself do what It desires, and instead God created the limited atonement of Calvinism against Its own will ? How ridiculous. That’s the issue here, Gods own will in enacting the plan of salvation, not unrelated issues God can’t control .
I'm waiting for you to address the issue. I've repeatedly said it. I get it. You have no answer for it, and you're unwilling to simply admit that yes, God desires some things that he allows to not come to happen.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Was Paul lying when he said he could do all things through Christ who strengthens him? The Paul who said we are more than conquerors ?

Just think God is able and if he is, we who are joined to him in Spirit are too. This is Sunday school stuff.
So you think Paul can do all things through a verse taken out of context? Nah....Phil 4:13 has nothing to do with this topic.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:33 PM

1,799 posts, read 564,697 times
Quote:
Nothing is "outside God's control". Nowhere have I remotely suggested that. Not sure why you keep making that claim.

You just said God wants us not to sin but we do. That is what I am referring to.

Quote:

I'm waiting for you to address the issue. I've repeatedly said it. I get it. You have no answer for it, and you're unwilling to simply admit that yes, God desires some things that he allows to not come to happen.

I have addressed everything you have brought up. Don’t start being disingenuous. I have not avoided anything you have said. I have pointed out that what God desires regarding things not under Its control versus Gods control over Its own plan of salvation are two different things . God says It wants all men to be saved, so either God can control Its own desire for about how salvation is available to all or It can’t. Which is it?

Old 12-23-2021, 04:36 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
So you think Paul can do all things through a verse taken out of context? Nah....Phil 4:13 has nothing to do with this topic.
So educate me on what the verse means to you.... in your own words.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
You just said God wants us not to sin but we do. That is what I am referring to.

Yes. that's right. HE COULD make us unable to sin. But he chooses not to.
Quote:

I have addressed everything you have brought up. Don’t start being disingenuous. I have not avoided anything you have said. I have pointed out that what God desires regarding things not under Its control versus Gods control over Its own plan of salvation are two different things .
He COULD make everything come to happen. He chooses not to. He COULD choose to make us unable to sin. But he chooses not to. He COULD cause all to be saved. But he chooses not to. Same thing.

Sometimes things happen that go against what he wills. Because he allows it.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So educate me on what the verse means to you.... in your own words.
Look at the context. It's about Paul living in harsh conditions, without all the things he needs. But he's learned to be content in all things, because Jesus is enough. It's about contentment. It's about living sacrificially and being content to be in Christ. It's not about a supernatural power to make things happen.

Old 12-23-2021, 04:49 PM

4,666 posts, read 1,212,435 times
baptistfundie

Quote:
God desires some things that he allows to not come to happen.
So how do you explain Job 23:13

13 But he is in one mind, and who can turn him? and what his soul desireth, even that he doeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity