Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 10:20 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,072,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Well, a liar always is able to spot a liar. We must be two peas at different ends of the same pod! If lying were the worst sin I'd ever committed, I could feel less guilty. But then, you've probably never been in the depths of muddy sin--and that's why you mistrust anyone else--because they are not so goody-two-shoes as you!

Selah!

Where you get all your assumptions about me, since you don't know me, is a curiosity known only to you and the depths of your carnal rebellious mind. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 10:38 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,968,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The author of Ephesians wrote that it takes STRENGTH And POWER to comprehend love. If love is not tempered by wrath, punishment and vengeance, it surpasses understanding, and can be overwhelming. Its easier and more comfortable to make the God who is love conform to an imperfect and unthreatening concept of what love is.

If there's a prayer worth praying, imo, it's this one:

For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:48 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,832,081 times
Mishlei - Chapter 6 - Tanakh Online - Torah - Bible

Old 09-08-2016, 11:53 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,746,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
The only thing bothering you is that a woman can stand up to your garbage and tear it down and show it for what it is. Well, get used to it, there is neither male nor female IN CHRIST JESUS, your flesh will always take a back seat to the Spirit of G-d and those whom He teaches will always prevail.

The SPIRIT is the one who rightly divides the Word, not you, and not me. You have exalted your carnal mind until it's foaming at the mouth when real truth comes. I'm not interested in your "educated views" because those are what is a dime a dozen. I'm only interested in what has been rightly divided by the Spirit, of which of yours, I can see NONE. Repent and find Him while you still have time. He is not an intellectual pursuit. Peace
Spiritually you are neither male nor female. DewDropInn tries to speak out also but her promotion of God's agape love is also anathema to you. You have retreated into "man oppresses woman" viewpoint as a further way to justify your biblical ignorance and your stubbornness against learning.

You don't know what riches await the biblically educated mind so you accuse it of being what you really are---carnal. The Spirit is unavailable for an ignorant mind. Seems like God's disciple "replacement," Paul, was an extremely educated man so he couldn't possibly rightly divide the word truth responsibly. Strange how his writings, that of an intellectual, have done more to shape Christianity today than have the gospels. You might wish to obtain some of the strength and power he wrote of in Epphesians in order love not only selflessly, but non-judgmentally.

And I don't promote my views as the ONLY views as you do with yours. I've urged you to study for yourself because I am confident if you did you would most likely alter those views. God doesn't want anyone to remain where they are. He looks for growth. Yours is, at best, stunted.

Here is a new recommendation for you---a Danish philosopher/theologian named Soren Kierkegaard. This is a summary of some of his writings because they are quite deep for all but a philosophy major. He was hated by the Danish religious leaders.

From a summary of the book PROVOCATIONS:
The most accessible introduction to the writings of Søren Kierkegaard, Provocations contains a little of everything from his prodigious output, including his wryly humorous attacks on conventional Christianity and his brilliantly pithy parables.

Provocations is a must for those who truly seek a life of Christian discipleship. Indeed, the wealth of sayings and aphorisms collected in its final section is reason enough to download the ebook.
------
Pour some spiritual water on that stunted soul and educate yourself.

Selah!

Old 09-08-2016, 12:09 PM

64,024 posts, read 40,331,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The author of Ephesians wrote that it takes STRENGTH And POWER to comprehend love. If love is not tempered by wrath, punishment and vengeance, it surpasses understanding, and can be overwhelming. Its easier and more comfortable to make the God who is love conform to an imperfect and unthreatening concept of what love is.

If there's a prayer worth praying, imo, it's this one:

For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; and that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ which surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God. Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us, to Him be the glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations forever and ever. Amen.
Good choice, Pleroo. To wax a little philosophical in furtherance of stressing the significance of our consciousness and what exists within it, I want to focus on what a "name" IS. The first thing God had this newly created consciousness do was to name everything. A name only exists within a consciousness. Its existence is more purely dependent upon a consciousness than melody. A melody has a physical component in the sequence of notes that comprise it but it only really exists in a consciousness. That is one of the ways we are "like" God. We create within our consciousness just as God created us within His. I elaborated in this idea in another thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
For the entertainment of more lurkers, Cruithne, the continued conditioning from birth onward causes us to identify strongly with our material physical body. The conditioning takes too much knowledge and experience to break through and realize that we are an "EM-like" neural field phenomenon residing in the unified field, NOT a physical being residing in a body and brain.

The "EM-like" analogy does NOT mean the actual EM radiations we can measure. The EM is used to reflect the "state" our composite consciousness is in. The analogy illustrates the state of being that our composite thoughts and feelings EXISTS in (i.e., what we experience as our "Self" or "Spirit" or the "I" we refer to). Our composite consciousness is "EM-like" (a "broadcast") and actually resides in the unified field, and its "production" is only recorded in and played back by our brain.

We are completely conditioned from birth to believe that we ARE our physical body and brain. But our body and brain is merely the production facility for our consciousness. It is like a "womb" that bears our embryo Spirit ("Self") to maturity and rebirth as Spirit. We don't even actually experience life directly. We experience a "delayed recording" of the daily "broadcast" of our Spirit. The real "WE" are actually the cumulative composite of those recordings residing in the unified field that is God's consciousness. Our brain is like a "transceiver" for the non-baryonic "EM-like" dark energy that comprises our consciousness.

IF you do not understand the explanation of "existence as an abstract composite" in a consciousness (as in my melody example), you will not understand our "existence as an abstract composite of our consciousness" (Self) in God's consciousness along with our entire reality. This existence as a composite in God's consciousness is what ensures our continued existence after leaving the "production facility."

Last edited by MysticPhD; 09-08-2016 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-08-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Where you get all your assumptions about me, since you don't know me, is a curiosity known only to you and the depths of your carnal rebellious mind. Peace
You spotted me as a liar and I confess I have lied. Now are you going to tell us you are a direct descendant of George Washington and have never told a lie. How very charming!

There are many kinds of lies, the most common being to tell the truth but not the whole truth. One of my favorites is the conclusion of established Christianity that there is a Trinity when there is not clear cut evidence. Both sides of the debate can bring up valid arguments but few are willing to accept the possibility that the other side may be correct despite Scriptural evidence. I was a strong Trinitarian until one of these very CD threads brought the alternate view and its Scriptural evidence. What it did for me was remove the Trinity from the "must believes" that Christians always throw out. The contradictory verses support neither side fully.

You don't know me either, but have no problem assigning me to hell with your assumptions. Isn't that hypocrisy or does your "specialness" give you a pass from God?

Selah!

Old 09-08-2016, 03:20 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,832,081 times
Quote:
Spiritually you are neither male nor female. DewDropInn tries to speak out also but her promotion of God's agape love is also anathema to you. You have retreated into "man oppresses woman" viewpoint as a further way to justify your biblical ignorance and your stubbornness against learning.

You don't know what riches await the biblically educated mind so you accuse it of being what you really are---carnal. The Spirit is unavailable for an ignorant mind. Seems like God's disciple "replacement," Paul, was an extremely educated man so he couldn't possibly rightly divide the word truth responsibly. Strange how his writings, that of an intellectual, have done more to shape Christianity today than have the gospels. You might wish to obtain some of the strength and power he wrote of in Epphesians in order love not only selflessly, but non-judgmentally.

And I don't promote my views as the ONLY views as you do with yours. I've urged you to study for yourself because I am confident if you did you would most likely alter those views. God doesn't want anyone to remain where they are. He looks for growth. Yours is, at best, stunted.

Here is a new recommendation for you---a Danish philosopher/theologian named Soren Kierkegaard. This is a summary of some of his writings because they are quite deep for all but a philosophy major. He was hated by the Danish religious leaders.

From a summary of the book PROVOCATIONS:
The most accessible introduction to the writings of Søren Kierkegaard, Provocations contains a little of everything from his prodigious output, including his wryly humorous attacks on conventional Christianity and his brilliantly pithy parables.

Provocations is a must for those who truly seek a life of Christian discipleship. Indeed, the wealth of sayings and aphorisms collected in its final section is reason enough to download the ebook.
------
Pour some spiritual water on that stunted soul and educate yourself.

Selah!
"Provocations is a must is a must for those who truly seek a life of Christian discipleship."

Not sure what you mean by the above quote.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
"Provocations is a must is a must for those who truly seek a life of Christian discipleship."

Not sure what you mean by the above quote.
That was part of the book review of PROVOCATIONS. I am using my IPad and providing websites is something I haven't figured out. That's something I can stand to get more education on.

I discovered the book from a weekly electronic publication to which my wife subscribes called "the plough" which features essays by various authors on spiritual subjects.

Soren Kierkegaard has been described as the first Christian existentialist, making him the opposite of many who followed like Jean Paul Sarte.

Wikipedia describes Kierkegaard in part as follows:
Kierkegaard's theology focuses on the single individual in relation to an unprovable, yet known God. Many of his writings were a directed assault against all of Christendom, Christianity as a political and social entity. His target was the Danish State Church, which represented Christendom in Denmark. Christendom, in Kierkegaard's view, made individuals lazy in their religion.

Kierkegaard proposed that each person must make independent choices, which then constitute his existence. Each person suffers from the anguish of indecision (whether knowingly or unknowingly) until he commits to a particular choice about the way to live. Kierkegaard also proposed three rubrics with which to understand the conditions that issue from distinct life choices: the aesthetic, the ethical, and the religious.
---------end quote

I am a Christian existentialist focused on living in the now---not yesterday which is gone nor tomorrow which may never come. It is only in the present hour that we can act in service to others. I am not a believer because it will get me out of hell or because it will get me into heaven. I am a believer because of my personal experience, and I'm not interested in being a lazy believer (Kierkegaard's charge against religious people), so I read and search and contemplate many different ideas.

Unfortunately, too many that claim to believe also have to own up to being lazy with growth of their faith. I don't think I need to point out on this thread one of those too lazy to expand their faith through learning.

Old 09-08-2016, 04:55 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,281,476 times
Quote:

I am a Christian existentialist focused on living in the now---not yesterday which is gone nor tomorrow which may never come. It is only in the present hour that we can act in service to others. I am not a believer because it will get me out of hell or because it will get me into heaven. I am a believer because of my personal experience, and I'm not interested in being a lazy believer (Kierkegaard's charge against religious people), so I read and search and contemplate many different ideas.
Amen, Warden. I discovered Kirkegaard in college while taking a philosophy class to fill my general ed requirements. I was knocked out and thought, "This is what I believe!"

Old 09-08-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Amen, Warden. I discovered Kirkegaard in college while taking a philosophy class to fill my general ed requirements. I was knocked out and thought, "This is what I believe!"
A couple of my favorite quotes from Kierkegaard's WORKS OF LOVE:

“With respect to love we speak continually about perfection and the perfect person. With respect to love Christianity also speaks continually about perfection and the perfect person. Alas, but we men talk about finding the perfect person in order to love him. Christianity speaks about being the perfect person who limitlessly loves the person he sees.”

And:

“the measure of a person’s disposition is this: how far is he from what he understands to what he does, how great is the distance between his understanding and his actions.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity