Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2016, 05:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Amen, Warden. I discovered Kirkegaard in college while taking a philosophy class to fill my general ed requirements. I was knocked out and thought, "This is what I believe!"
If I had not found Quaker thought before I found Kierkegaard, I would have been equally impressed. Thank you for the recommendation, Warden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 06:18 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
I once won a trivia contest by spelling Kierkegaard correctly...

(Answer had to be correct AND correctly spelled to count.)

Old 09-08-2016, 06:22 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,821,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
That was part of the book review of PROVOCATIONS. I am using my IPad and providing websites is something I haven't figured out. That's something I can stand to get more education on.

I discovered the book from a weekly electronic publication to which my wife subscribes called "the plough" which features essays by various authors on spiritual subjects.

Soren Kierkegaard has been described as the first Christian existentialist, making him the opposite of many who followed like Jean Paul Sarte.

Wikipedia describes Kierkegaard in part as follows:
Kierkegaard's theology focuses on the single individual in relation to an unprovable, yet known God. Many of his writings were a directed assault against all of Christendom, Christianity as a political and social entity. His target was the Danish State Church, which represented Christendom in Denmark. Christendom, in Kierkegaard's view, made individuals lazy in their religion.

Kierkegaard proposed that each person must make independent choices, which then constitute his existence. Each person suffers from the anguish of indecision (whether knowingly or unknowingly) until he commits to a particular choice about the way to live. Kierkegaard also proposed three rubrics with which to understand the conditions that issue from distinct life choices: the aesthetic, the ethical, and the religious.
---------end quote

I am a Christian existentialist focused on living in the now---not yesterday which is gone nor tomorrow which may never come. It is only in the present hour that we can act in service to others. I am not a believer because it will get me out of hell or because it will get me into heaven. I am a believer because of my personal experience, and I'm not interested in being a lazy believer (Kierkegaard's charge against religious people), so I read and search and contemplate many different ideas.

Unfortunately, too many that claim to believe also have to own up to being lazy with growth of their faith. I don't think I need to point out on this thread one of those too lazy to expand their faith through learning.

Very interesting subject from a philosphers perspective.
But this is a Christian sub forum.

Sorry to burst the bubble so to speak.

But the moderators closed a thread of mine at even a mention of philosophy in this forum.

The very sentence I quoted and queried is something you might want to toss.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:36 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,732,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If I had not found Quaker thought before I found Kierkegaard, I would have been equally impressed. Thank you for the recommendation, Warden.
As an example of how God can and does operate through "secular" thought, consider this event that Peter Enns describes in his book, The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires Our Trust More Than Our "Correct" Beliefs. He was flying home from an evangelical conference and decided to watch the movie Bridge to Teribithia produced by Disney. The story is about two fifth graders, the boy, Jess a fundamentalist prodigy and a girl, Leslie, who is rather free-spirited. Leslie agrees to go to the boy's church and hears some hellfire and brimstone. Afterwards, they are in the back of the boy's family truck when this scene unfolds:

[Leslie] "That whole Jesus thing. It's really interesting."
[May Belle, Jess' sister is shocked] "It's not an interesting story! It's scary! It's nailing holes through your hands. It's because we are all vile sinners that God made Jesus die."
[Leslie looks at Maybelle like she had just declared babies were delivered by storks] "Do you really think that's true?"
[Not only do they believe it, but they have to according to Jess] "Because it's in the Bible."
[May Belle]"If you don't believe in the Bible, God will damn you to hell when you die."
[Leslie, having none of it] "I seriously do not think God goes around damning people to hell. He's too busy running all this!" [pointing to the sky and trees]

Enns said he was completely taken aback when the Disney that brought us Mickey Mouse and Goofy, and Son of Flubber ventured into a religious debate. He writes:

Quote:
--caught off guard. Me--a professional Christian, a seminary professor, paid to think right thoughts about God and to tell others about them. But after a long trip my orthodoxy shield was resting at my side. I was unarmed and Leslie's words hit their mark. In a flash, and without words, I thought, "I think Leslie's right.
Peter Enns, The Sin of Certainty: Why God Desires Our Trust More Than Our "Correct" Beliefs, Chapter one.

He follows up by saying that a 52 second clip of that movie had his view of God flying out the cabin window like a loss of air pressure.

And that's how God can and does work OUTSIDE Scripture to bring new insights to those He is looking to grow.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:37 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,732,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post

But the moderators closed a thread of mine at even a mention of philosophy in this forum.

Kierkegaard is also considered a theologian. You would not make such an ignorant statement if you simply read Wikipedia about his life--let alone one of several biographies. You have a god trapped in the pages of Scripture.

Mine is EVERYWHERE! And that is His characteristic!

Old 09-08-2016, 07:24 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,736,805 times
What's up with the sudden influx of Kierkegaard worsippers who make Kierkegaard the authority over the Spirit?

Old 09-08-2016, 07:29 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What's up with the sudden influx of Kierkegaard worsippers who make Kierkegaard the authority over the Spirit?
Over the Spirit ? i thought the bible was your authority. That's right you bible worshippers believe the bible and the spirit are the same thing.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:
Another false representation from one who excels in such.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
What's up with your wildly ignorant conclusions?

Old 09-08-2016, 07:59 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,240,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post

Warden stated that he is a Christian existentialist. As am I.

If you want to report us for mentioning that on a forum discussing Christianity ...go ahead and hit the report button and see if you can get us put in poster jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity