Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 12:59 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,072,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
That's true but it is very simple to see in Antiochus Epiphanies and while there had been anti-Christ ever since the garden, Antiochus puts things in a very clear perspective. The whole world conspires to take away the knowledge of the Lord in his commandments and his ways, and if you are keeping the ways of God, this becomes very evident. Anti-Christ will abound from every side making you literally defend the word of God as if it needed to be defended and there you are having to defend God from people who say they worship the God of Israel. It is something that is impossible to think about but we are warned in so many places.

The Man of Sin 2 Thess
1Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him, 2That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. 3Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; 4Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. 5Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? 6And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. 7For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. 8And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming:{ I believe he is seen in all people and he must be exposed}

9Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, 10And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: 12That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Delusions.

Yes, definitely, not saying it's not. Just saying that slaying Adam and then slaying the prophet Abel, made a definite first impression on me. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 09:23 AM

146 posts, read 68,031 times
Satan’s lie: You do NOT need to be progressively sanctified unto holiness
• “… holiness, without which no one will see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14)
• “… so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness” (Romans 6:19)
• “… beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit,
perfecting holiness in the fear of God.” (2 Corinthians 7:1)

Satan’s lie: You do NOT need to have a personal relationship with Father God and Jesus
• “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven,
but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day,
‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name,
and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them,
‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ (Matthew 7:21-23)
• “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow me.
And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish …” (John 10:27-28)
• “I know My sheep, and am known by My own.” (John 10:14)
• “And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God,
and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent.” (John 17:3)

Satan’s lie: The spiritual power gifts were not needed after the Canon was available
1 Corinthians 13:8-10 does NOT refer to the time when the Bible is available.
IMO, almost all of the older denominations have now retracted from their long-held position.
And the newer Bible translations have corrected the long-held misunderstanding of the KJV.
1 Cor 13:10
KJV • “But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.”
NASB • “but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.”
NIV • “but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.”
NLT • “But when the time of perfection comes, these partial things will become useless.”
NCV • “But when perfection comes, the things that are not perfect will end.”
TLB • “But when we have been made perfect and complete, then the need for
these inadequate special gifts will come to an end, and they will disappear.”

Old 09-04-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyB View Post
Satan’s lie: You do NOT need to be progressively sanctified unto holiness
• “… holiness, without which no one will see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14)
• “… so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness†(Romans 6:19)
• “… beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit,
perfecting holiness in the fear of God.†(2 Corinthians 7:1)

Satan’s lie: You do NOT need to have a personal relationship with Father God and Jesus
• “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven,
but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day,
‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name,
and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them,
‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’ (Matthew 7:21-23)
• “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow me.
And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish …†(John 10:27-28)
• “I know My sheep, and am known by My own.†(John 10:14)
• “And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God,
and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent.†(John 17:3)

Satan’s lie: The spiritual power gifts were not needed after the Canon was available
1 Corinthians 13:8-10 does NOT refer to the time when the Bible is available.
IMO, almost all of the older denominations have now retracted from their long-held position.
And the newer Bible translations have corrected the long-held misunderstanding of the KJV.
1 Cor 13:10
KJV • “But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.â€
NASB • “but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.â€
NIV • “but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.â€
NLT • “But when the time of perfection comes, these partial things will become useless.â€
NCV • “But when perfection comes, the things that are not perfect will end.â€
TLB • “But when we have been made perfect and complete, then the need for
these inadequate special gifts will come to an end, and they will disappear.â€

AMEN. The Quakers, the Shakers, and the Methodists all believed and received in the beginning, and then the fire went out. Peace

Old 09-04-2016, 09:58 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,282,646 times
Biblical Lie: That Satan is a bad guy.

Biblical Lie: That Jehovah is a good guy.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:00 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,281,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post

All who demeans, etc homosexuals are not Christians, but you seem to want to limit all to Christians.

Who demeans homosexuals? All sorts of people, unfortunately. On this board most of the demeaning is done by fundamentalist Christians with far-right political beliefs.

Some members of the LGBTQ community are Christians. Several post on this board. One is a Christian pastor.

I believe we are all much-loved children of God. If you disagree...you get to do that. I do not believe that everyone has to believe the same thing. It's a big world with all sorts of people believing all sorts of things. Which keeps things from getting boring.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:24 PM

32,533 posts, read 22,129,562 times
Quote:
The first question in the Presbyterian catechism is "What is the chief end of man?"

I would like to get some discussion on this before I give you what we say is the answer. I will give it tomorrow, discussion or not.
Ahhh...Presbyterians, Doctrine of Predestination...

Old 09-04-2016, 04:14 PM

64,024 posts, read 40,331,746 times
Quote:
The first question in the Presbyterian catechism is "What is the chief end of man?"
I would like to get some discussion on this before I give you what we say is the answer. I will give it tomorrow, discussion or not.
It is a preposterous example of human vanity and hubris. They believe the chief end of man is to glorify God. But since God is infinite Glory, how presumptuous can you get to think we could add ANYTHING to His Glory!!!!

Old 09-04-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is a preposterous example of human vanity and hubris. They believe the chief end of man is to glorify God. But since God is infinite Glory, how presumptuous can you get to think we could add ANYTHING to His Glory!!!!

I know, talk about human vanity and hubris....how dare they? Looks like you better get out your scissors again....Peace

Jhn 21:19 This spake he, signifying by what death he should GLORIFY G-D. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me.

Rom 15:6 That ye may with one mind [and] one mouth GLORIFY G-D, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. ... 9 And that the Gentiles might GLORIFY G-D for [his] mercy; as it is written, For this cause I will confess to thee among the Gentiles, and sing unto thy name.

1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore GLORIFY G-D in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

2Co 9:13 Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they GLORIFY G-D for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for [your] liberal distribution unto them, and unto all [men];

1Pe 2:12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by [your] good works, which they shall behold, GLORIFY G-D in the day of visitation.

1Pe 4:16 Yet if [any man suffer] as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him GLORIFY G-D on this behalf.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:13 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,452,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Good, educational post ... which, unfortunately, will be wasted on most of the Bible and Christian-haters who heavily populate this forum. (They generally insist that Satan and hell do not even exist).
That would be true, neither exist in the form that you believe they do. Adversity is a principle that results in active resistance, opposition, or contentiousness within the human nature. And the Hebrew term for Satan merely describes an adversarial role, whereas, an accuser (slanderer, devil) is known for his unrighteous disposition.

Quote:
I see that you are relatively new out here. Welcome! If you get frustrated with the mindless attacks, as many Christian posters have, you will need to acquaint yourself with the "Ignore" function. It makes this forum much more palatable.
In reality, that's merely a hide and seek tactic when one cannot face the truth or refuses to see it.

Quote:
The thing many do not realize about Satan is that he has no power or authority to come against God, but, is instead, the enemy of mankind. However, his power is limited by God to lies and deceit --- which fills the vacuum created in people who refuse to stand firm on God's truth. God, likewise, does not 'force' anyone to believe Him or trust Jesus Christ. He has provided the truth in His inspired word and empowered it by His Holy Spirit. "Those who suppress God's truths are without excuse." (Rom. 1:18-20)
You cannot blame two separate entities for the forces of nature or for the choice's you and others make. The principalities and powers of unholy messengers, inculcated the doctrines of demons, devils and Satan in the early views of men; falsely fostering and prospering them. Truth becomes known, when deception falls away (that of self-induced blindness). Christ denounced these doctrines and traditions of men within the Spirit of truth, as the ego driven desires are within men, resist them.

Those who live according to the sinful nature have their mind set on what their nature desires, but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their mind set on what the Spirit wants: Along came the tempter; the lust of the eyes (understanding of the mind), lust of the flesh (a heart of emotion) and the pride of life (the desires of the will). Thus, while the first Adam conceded to all that is in the world (that which extends deep down from the surface, yet is visible through distinctive traits or characteristics common to all humanity); the second Adam stood his ground against the natural disposition of the soul, and the temperament within that of other men.

Last edited by Jerwade; 09-04-2016 at 11:24 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 11:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,452,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I never thought about that distinction before. I like it. Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
How could you not, think about it?
It should be first and foremost.

Quote:
I would like to get some discussion on this before I give you what we say is the answer.

I will give it tomorrow, discussion or not.
I am looking forward to hearing what the chief end of man will be, and tomorrow is almost over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity