Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Much Money Should I Keep For Myself Out Of 6 Million?
Don't keep any of it Hannibal, use all of it to do charitable works 1 6.67%
Nothing wrong with keeping 100,000 for yourself Hannibal, ENJOY 1 6.67%
Just keep about 10,000 for emergency Hannibal 1 6.67%
WHY NOT KEEP A MILLION HANNIBAL? If you do good works with 5 million, aint nothing wrong with keeping a million bud! 2 13.33%
I think you should keep all of it in a bank and let it grow interest Hannibal 4 26.67%
Maybe you should give 3 million to the children's cancer unit and keep 3 million Hannibal 1 6.67%
YO, HANNI! Me and you are buds, remember? Why not throw your bud a couple stacks, wassup? 8 53.33%
Go and buy a new house with a swimming pool and buy all your family new cars and then do come charitable deeds after that 1 6.67%
I think you should go out amongst the poor people and dole out money Hanni, maybe you should start in a country where children are dying from hunger. 4 26.67%
Give ten percent Hanni, heck, give 20 percent to charity, and you are covered bro! 3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times

Advertisements

Get an ATTORNEY, set up a TRUST. Find a good CPA and FINANCIAL MANAGER.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 12:03 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
5% interest would be pretty sweet. Where can I find that?
10% would be even better.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:13 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
I was out walking and contemplating and while I never play the lotto, I just got a funny feeling that gave me a grin and I decided to get a ticket and when I saw the numbers, I knew right away that I was really going to win. I used to be one of those numbers freak that saw patterns in numbers and colors all day but I stopped doing that a couple years back but when I had seen the Lotto numbers that the quick pick gave me, I KNEW it was going to win.

The problem being, what do I do with that much money?

Let's say that after I pay taxes I will have 6,050,000 left over and I figure to pay debts of maybe 50 thousand and so I am left debt free, own the house, and no debt. I have an humble job, an humble car, and an humble house.

Obviously a Christian with that much blessing is going to do great charitable works, but how much of it should I take just for myself?

Is 100,000 too selfish?

There is a story of one of the disciples who went into a kingdom and converted a king, and the king saw him as the wisest person there ever was and looked on him like he was a Joseph who had come into Egypt and made co-ruler of the land.

This king like many kings was a very wealthy king and he decided to put all his treasury in the hands of this disciple and he bid the disciple to build him the greatest kingdom he could have because he trusted the disciple. Many months past and the king brought him up to the court to see how the building was coming and the king asked the disciple what he had been doing, and the disciple told the king that he had built him one of the greatest kingdoms any man could have ever built, but the disciple had taken the king's money and he fed the poor and helped the widows and he told the king that he had purchased the greatest kingdom for the king that the king could imagine, a kingdom in heaven by doing good works for the needy.

How much money should I keep for myself when I have been handed 6 million dollars?
Jesus taught us to pray by asking "Give us THIS day, our daily bread," according to the earlier writer Matthew.

But then we read this by the later writer, Luke:
"Give us day by day our daily bread." Kind of stretching it out into Mike's suggestion of saving up so you can do more, because all of us tell ourselves we would be good stewards---at the appropriate time.

Eventually we come to John, who does not have Jesus teaching us to pray for bread, or even bread day by day, but rather Jesus HIMSELF is the Bread we need.

Hannibal you are fond of "secret" messages in Scripture. But doesn't this subtle change from a basically ascetic Jesus to one who is providing riches untold through His bread appear to be perhaps a moving away from the basic original message to one more expansive? If Jesus is the Bread, then I do what I do now, and save up my bread for the future all the while promising to do the right thing "then," whenever then is. It has a parallel in the OT, too. Could people save the manna God provided each morning? Or was each day new as were his blessings. In Exodus it states: Moses said to them, "Let no man leave any of it until morning."… And food was the ultimate survival in that wilderness--not money as we view it now.

What did Jesus tell his disciples to do as he sent them forth? Carry a lot of baggage? Or this:
Quote:
Take nothing for the journey,” He told them, “no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no second tunic.
Luke 9:3

Or how about this?
Quote:
Look at the birds of the air: They do not sow or reap or gather into barns—and yet your Heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
Matt 6:26

Were these simply sayings not to be understood literally? Or did Jesus mean them with his whole heart?

I'm as guilty as anyone for "piling up riches for retirement" (although it is all but gone now), but Jesus' earliest message was to live in the now. Seek for today what you need. What we see here in me--and just about everyone else, is an eroding of the simplicity of living that Jesus taught, into a, "What the heck am I gonna do with all this" attitude.

I wish I could say I would have the guts to give every damn dime away. Sadly your question only points out how very tempted all of us are with mammon and how easy it is to stray from the narrow path Jesus taught.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:53 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
I was out walking and contemplating and while I never play the lotto, I just got a funny feeling that gave me a grin and I decided to get a ticket and when I saw the numbers, I knew right away that I was really going to win. I used to be one of those numbers freak that saw patterns in numbers and colors all day but I stopped doing that a couple years back but when I had seen the Lotto numbers that the quick pick gave me, I KNEW it was going to win.

The problem being, what do I do with that much money?

Let's say that after I pay taxes I will have 6,050,000 left over and I figure to pay debts of maybe 50 thousand and so I am left debt free, own the house, and no debt. I have an humble job, an humble car, and an humble house.

Obviously a Christian with that much blessing is going to do great charitable works, but how much of it should I take just for myself?

Is 100,000 too selfish?

There is a story of one of the disciples who went into a kingdom and converted a king, and the king saw him as the wisest person there ever was and looked on him like he was a Joseph who had come into Egypt and made co-ruler of the land.

This king like many kings was a very wealthy king and he decided to put all his treasury in the hands of this disciple and he bid the disciple to build him the greatest kingdom he could have because he trusted the disciple. Many months past and the king brought him up to the court to see how the building was coming and the king asked the disciple what he had been doing, and the disciple told the king that he had built him one of the greatest kingdoms any man could have ever built, but the disciple had taken the king's money and he fed the poor and helped the widows and he told the king that he had purchased the greatest kingdom for the king that the king could imagine, a kingdom in heaven by doing good works for the needy.

How much money should I keep for myself when I have been handed 6 million dollars?
I wanna be your best friend...

Old 09-09-2016, 06:13 AM

23,126 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Jesus taught us to pray by asking "Give us THIS day, our daily bread," according to the earlier writer Matthew.

But then we read this by the later writer, Luke:
"Give us day by day our daily bread." Kind of stretching it out into Mike's suggestion of saving up so you can do more, because all of us tell ourselves we would be good stewards---at the appropriate time.

Eventually we come to John, who does not have Jesus teaching us to pray for bread, or even bread day by day, but rather Jesus HIMSELF is the Bread we need.

Hannibal you are fond of "secret" messages in Scripture. But doesn't this subtle change from a basically ascetic Jesus to one who is providing riches untold through His bread appear to be perhaps a moving away from the basic original message to one more expansive? If Jesus is the Bread, then I do what I do now, and save up my bread for the future all the while promising to do the right thing "then," whenever then is. It has a parallel in the OT, too. Could people save the manna God provided each morning? Or was each day new as were his blessings. In Exodus it states: Moses said to them, "Let no man leave any of it until morning."… And food was the ultimate survival in that wilderness--not money as we view it now.

What did Jesus tell his disciples to do as he sent them forth? Carry a lot of baggage? Or this:

Or how about this?

Were these simply sayings not to be understood literally? Or did Jesus mean them with his whole heart?

I'm as guilty as anyone for "piling up riches for retirement" (although it is all but gone now), but Jesus' earliest message was to live in the now. Seek for today what you need. What we see here in me--and just about everyone else, is an eroding of the simplicity of living that Jesus taught, into a, "What the heck am I gonna do with all this" attitude.

I wish I could say I would have the guts to give every damn dime away. Sadly your question only points out how very tempted all of us are with mammon and how easy it is to stray from the narrow path Jesus taught.
I couldn't have written it better myself, I hope I could give almost all of it away, it would be a hard thing though wouldn't it?

Old 09-09-2016, 06:29 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
<snipped>

Or how about this?

Quote:
I couldn't have written it better myself, I hope I could give almost all of it away, it would be a hard thing though wouldn't it?
But then, while Jesus lived day to day, he did so on the good will of his wealthy friends who provided for him. The bible doesn't mention Jesus telling them to give all their money away to the poor.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:51 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Sleep late. Have fun. Do good. Look at the stars. Remember your dreams.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:59 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,170,668 times
As with most issues in Christianity you will get no clear path on this one. What bothered me for many years as a Christian was the constant self doubt as to whether it was a sin to have money and save for retirement. It never made sense that we were to not worry about our needs tomorrow and just believe God would meet them, which is just more of the rubbish I'm glad I left behind.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:33 AM

23,126 posts, read 10,426,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I wanna be your best friend...
I am already your besg friend, how much do you need me to send you?

Old 09-09-2016, 10:21 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,378,624 times
On your voting options list, you left out: "Give it all to poor ol' JRHockney"...I would have voted for that one!

...but seriously, I'd say follow Mikes advice unless you feel led to give it away quicker. Over time, that interest could amount to more money for the poor than just giving it all away anyways but if you know of a charity or cause that is important to you that needs money fast, now is your chance.

Last edited by Jrhockney; 09-09-2016 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity