Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 03:00 PM

263 posts, read 231,005 times

Advertisements

I'm just learning about Christianity...and what I was told is the 'only unforgivable sin' is thorough blasphemy of the holy spirit...synonymous with 'continuous disbelief' right?

Would this include having faith in multiple religions? Such as having a faith in Christ's message, yet being uncertain, open to...Hinduism, Taoism, Islam...?

I am only trying to build my own faith up so thank you for your words of guidance.....

- Delmarva
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 04:05 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
Problem is Jesus commands His followers to Love the Lord God , and have no idol substitutes , And the blaspheme of Holy Spirit is a rejection of Jesus Christ , and the rationalized rejection of the grace of God through Jesus Christ ............So if people put obstacles in the path of faith blocking Holy spirit then it will be a blaspheme

Old 12-12-2016, 04:09 PM

33,251 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaNative_inCO View Post
I'm just learning about Christianity...and what I was told is the 'only unforgivable sin' is thorough blasphemy of the holy spirit...synonymous with 'continuous disbelief' right?

Would this include having faith in multiple religions? Such as having a faith in Christ's message, yet being uncertain, open to...Hinduism, Taoism, Islam...?

I am only trying to build my own faith up so thank you for your words of guidance.....

- Delmarva
Hi Delmarva. There are different views concerning the sin of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. My own view is that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit was only possible while Jesus was physically on the earth and performing His miracles by the power of the Holy Spirit. The Pharisees, in accusing Jesus of performing those miracles by the power of Satan instead of by the power of the Holy Spirit were committing blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. The accusation was of course based on not believing that Jesus was who He claimed to be.

So while I don't believe that the sin of 'blasphemy of the Holy Spirit' is a sin that can be committed today, your eternal salvation does depend upon understanding that Jesus died for your sins and that He rose again, with the result being that you place you complete trust in Him and Him alone for your eternal salvation.

Jesus did all the work that was required to make salvation available to you as He hung on the cross and paid the penalty for our sins. All you have to do to receive eternal life is to simply trust in His finished work on your behalf.
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

1 Corinthians 15:1 Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, 2] by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. 3] For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4] and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9] not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Eternal life is a free gift by grace through faith in Christ Jesus so that you can't boast or take any credit for your salvation. It all depends on what Jesus has already accomplished at the cross. You simply take hold of, simply receive the offered gift of eternal life by simply placing your trust in Jesus. The moment you do you are eternally saved and can never lose your salvation.

If you wish to take the time, these lessons on 'Getting the Gospel Right' and on basic doctrines by pastor Mike Smith of Country Bible Church in Brenham Texas cover a great deal about the gospel and basic doctrines of the Christian faith.

Getting the Gospel Right : Country Bible Church - Brenham, TX

Fundamentals : Country Bible Church - Brenham, TX

Old 12-12-2016, 05:57 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit...does this include being open to other religions?
If it steals money out of your church's tithe basket, yes! It's blasphemy!

If you don't support the foreign church with your offerings, then no, no problem with the Holy Spirit. That's what your minister would tell you anyway with church finances on the ropes.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:49 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,768 times
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is when people make God out to be evil and attribute evil to his character. That happens often on this board and in churches.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:50 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Problem is Jesus commands His followers to Love the Lord God , and have no idol substitutes , And the blaspheme of Holy Spirit is a rejection of Jesus Christ , and the rationalized rejection of the grace of God through Jesus Christ ............So if people put obstacles in the path of faith blocking Holy spirit then it will be a blaspheme
It is not just a REJECTION of CHRIST, but an INSULT to his character. It is not "confined" to the time when Jesus was walking the earth.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:11 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is when people make God out to be evil and attribute evil to his character. That happens often on this board and in churches.
They seem to forget that they are talking about a SPIRIT who IS God and IS agape love. It is that Holy Spirit of agape love (Who IS God) that they blaspheme when they attribute evil to Him.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:29 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times
Yes men commit blasphemy today. Blasphemy means to scorn.

Mark 7:21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders,

Mark 7:22 Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, BLASPHEMY, pride, foolishness:

Mark 7:23 All these evil things come from within, and defile the man

Col. 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, BLASPHEMY, filthy communication out of your mouth.

Now let's look at what cannot be forgiven...

Matt: 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the BLASPHEMY AGAINST THE HOLY GHOST shall not be forgiven unto men.

If you want examples of it, read the thread on tongues. The reason it cannot be forgiveness this life or the next is because repentance has to present for forgiveness in order to receive it and you can't receive it after you die.

There are only 3 scriptures that mention scorn in the NT and they all deal with them scorning Jesus when He told them the dead girl was not dead only sleeping and she was going to be raised from the dead. That's a "works" and the Holy Ghost does the works. Peace

Old 12-13-2016, 06:33 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,235,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
yet Peter REJECTED Christ THREE TIMES??

The supposed "BLASPHEME of the HOLY SPIRIT" is said to be UNFORGIVABLE...so since Peter DENIED and REJECTED Christ three times, and Christ FORGAVE PETER, REJECTION of CHRIST cannot be BLASPHEMING THE HOLY SPIRIT.

Please stop with the FEAR TACTICS, it is so unbecoming of any god.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:36 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaNative_inCO View Post

- Delmarva
Considering that God is God and he is not willing to share his glory with other, false gods, then no--Christianity would not be compatible.

But if you are still breathing you have not done that unforgivable sin. You can repent and trust Christ till the moment you take your last breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity