Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:43 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times

Advertisements

The Bible merely conveys the thoughts of men based on their religious beliefs and/or perceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 10:58 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,825,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not "mere" at all. Important words, but they have to be taken in the context of when and to whom they were written, and studied, and what we understand from them at one stage in our growth may be a different understanding at another.

You want to just learn to recite the quotes as we did as children to earn stars in our Sunday School chart, and then that's it. Not delve into a deeper study of their meaning in the context of real life, not question anything. Just memorize and say "well, God said XYZ, so call it a day".

That's the major differerence between fundamentalists and non. I admit, your way is easier. It's black and white, you just whip out a memory verse to apply to any given situation...however, some have found that the answers aren't simple, because God isn't simple, and so we dig deeper, asking God for guidance in understanding better. We'll never be able to know it all because of our imperfections.
Wow, that's a big assumption you're making about me and my study of the Bible. You dodged what I said.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The Bible merely conveys the thoughts of men based on their religious beliefs and/or perceptions.
Ha! Peter, who walked with Jesus said this...

2 Peter 1:20-21

But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Jesus referred many times to the prophets who spoke about Him.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:44 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,928,600 times
Quote:
The Episcopal Church, and others like it, believe that we are to use the ability to reason that God gave us. We know the epistles were written by a human in a certain time and place for a certain reason, and study them with that in mind. We equate neither the author nor his work with God. Your tiresome quoting demonstrates nothing but your own self-righteous pride.

Jesus's words to love God and others trump all else.

And the real love consists of making sure all you do love will enter Gods kingdom= the real life= eternal life.
And clearly show them that to choose 70-90 years of flesh pleasure now is not worth missing out on entrance into Gods kingdom. And those that have the love Jesus was talking about do this- without fail-Matthew 16:24--disown oneself to follow Jesus--Few can or have.
God inspired the words of the bible. Errors did get in though--later.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,894,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one's own interpretation, for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Please don't post in my threads. I've asked you in the past and you respected the request then.

This is not for Bible thumping.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
You do realize you're scoffing at the precise context and expectations God has for people that Jesus had in mind when becoming a *little*-child of Christ. God said what He meant and conversely meant what He said which subsequently carries the same weight in the inspired Word of God ... the Bible.

It actually is no less "a demonstrates nothing but your own self-righteous pride" attitude to question then God's Word the Bible on the basis of something in the Bible being archaic.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:03 PM

88,704 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Wow, that's a big assumption you're making about me and my study of the Bible. You dodged what I said.
Fair enough. I can only base my assessment on what I know from.ypur posts on this forum.

I didn't dodge what you said. I corrected YOUR assumption that I was dismissing scripture as the mere words of men.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:20 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Quote:

If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his (own) faith.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. I can only base my assessment on what I know from.ypur posts on this forum.

I didn't dodge what you said. I corrected YOUR assumption that I was dismissing scripture as the mere words of men.
You dodged the fact that your denomination accepts the Apostle John's words regarding Christ, but regards his later epistles and the Revelation as not from God.

Your explanation is confusing at best. What gives the epistles any authority?

Old 04-08-2017, 08:31 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,894,870 times
Quote:
You dodged the fact that your denomination accepts the Apostle John's words regarding Christ, but regards his later epistles and the Revelation as not from God.

Your explanation is confusing at best. What gives the epistles any authority?
Jimmie, I have asked you repeatedly to stop posting in my thread. I know you are reading this.

This is proof that you are deliberately trying to start arguments. Please take your Bible thumping elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity