Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:26 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,410,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Man is in bondage to the fear of death/dying to self all of his days. Peace
Albeit, not all, for some of us have no fear of dying/death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 10:06 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,087,057 times
Quote:
I'm not...

Old 05-08-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I'm not...
... fear seems to be a motivator for the majority.

Old 05-08-2017, 01:15 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,059,101 times
Let the Lord speak the truth and every man be a liar. Peace

Old 05-08-2017, 01:20 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,820,890 times
Quote:
Amen amen

Old 05-08-2017, 01:30 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,820,890 times
Quote:
I'm not...
Of course not.

You only lack in vigilance ever so slightly.
The wolf tempts you to slaughter cattle.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:07 PM

11,907 posts, read 3,734,950 times
Quote:
Actually, it is still there in the Tanakh...You didn't look very hard...6 verses in the Tanakh and 6 verses in the Young's Literal Translation:

Malachi - Chapter 3

19 For lo, the sun comes, glowing like a furnace, and all the audacious sinners and all the perpetrators of wickedness will be stubble. And the sun that comes shall burn them up so that it will leave them neither root nor branch, says the Lord of Hosts.

Rashi's Commentary:

For lo, the sun comes: This instance of יוֹם is an expression of sun, for so did the Sages state that there will be no Gehinnom in the future, but the Holy One, blessed be He, will take the sun out of its case; the wicked will be punished thereby and the righteous will be healed thereby. That is the meaning of what is stated (verse 20): “And the sun of mercy shall rise for you who fear My Name, etc.â€

neither root nor branch: Neither son nor grandson

20 And the sun of mercy shall rise with healing in its wings for you who fear My Name. Then will you go forth and be fat as fatted calves.

Rashi's Commentary:

and be fat: an expression of fat, as in (Jer. 50: 11), “as you become fat, like a threshing heifer.â€

as fatted calves: [the calves] that enter the team to be fattened; kopla, cople in Old French: animals tied together.

21 And you shall crush the wicked, for they will be as ash under the soles of your feet on the day that I will prepare, says the Lord of Hosts.

Rashi's Commentary:

And you shall crush: and you shall press. This is an expression of pressing, similar to (Ezek. 23:8) “they pressed their virgin breasts.â€

22 Keep in remembrance the teaching of Moses, My servant-the laws and ordinances which I commanded him in Horeb for all Israel.

23 Lo, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and awesome day of the Lord,

24 that he may turn the heart of the fathers back through the children, and the heart of the children back through their fathers-lest I come and smite the earth with utter destruction.

Rashi's Commentary:

that he may turn the heart of the fathers back: to the Holy One, blessed be He.

through the children: lit., on. He will say to the children affectionately and appeasingly, “Go and speak to your fathers to adopt the ways of the Omnipresent.†So we explain, “and the heart of the children through their fathers.†This I heard in the name of Rabbi Menahem, but our Sages expounded upon it in tractate Eduyoth (8:7), that he will come to make peace in the world.

A little bit different between the Hebrew version and the Christian version though...

While the Hebrew has it in the future tense, the Christians seemed to find it necessary to translate it into the past...Wonder why?...
The Young's literal seem to be the only translation that puts it into the past

Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
He will turn the hearts of the parents to their children, and the hearts of the children to their parents; or else I will come and strike the land with total destruction."

New Living Translation
His preaching will turn the hearts of fathers to their children, and the hearts of children to their fathers. Otherwise I will come and strike the land with a curse."

English Standard Version
And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the land with a decree of utter destruction.â€

New American Standard Bible
"He will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children and the hearts of the children to their fathers, so that I will not come and smite the land with a curse."

King James Bible
And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse. THE END OF THE PROPHETS.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers. Otherwise, I will come and strike the land with a curse."

International Standard Version
and he will turn the hearts of fathers to children, and the hearts of children to their fathers. Otherwise, I'll come, strike the land, and utterly destroy it."

NET Bible
He will encourage fathers and their children to return to me, so that I will not come and strike the earth with judgment."

New Heart English Bible
He will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the earth with a curse.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
He will change parents' attitudes toward their children and children's attitudes toward their parents. If not, I will come and reclaim my land by destroying you."

JPS Tanakh 1917
And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, And the heart of the children to their fathers; Lest I come and smite the land with utter destruction.

New American Standard 1977
“And he will restore the hearts of the fathers to their children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the land with a curse.â€

Jubilee Bible 2000
and he shall convert the heart of the fathers to the sons, and the heart of the sons to the fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with destruction.

King James 2000 Bible
And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

American King James Version
And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

American Standard Version
And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers; lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Douay-Rheims Bible
And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers: lest I come, and strike the earth with anathema.

Darby Bible Translation

English Revised Version
And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers; lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
He will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the earth with a curse."

Young's Literal Translation
And he hath turned back the heart of fathers to sons, And the heart of sons to their fathers, Before I come and have utterly smitten the land!

Old 05-08-2017, 02:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,447,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
The Young's literal seem to be the only translation that puts it into the past

Verse (Click for Chapter)

English Revised Version

Webster's Bible Translation

World English Bible
He will turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers, lest I come and strike the earth with a curse."

Young's Literal Translation
And he hath turned back the heart of fathers to sons, And the heart of sons to their fathers, Before I come and have utterly smitten the land!
Hebrew does not have tenses as we do in English. The word is in the perfect and the actual structure of the sentence also comes into play as well as the context.

Since the previous verse speaks of a future event, it places it in the future from when written.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Albeit, not all, for some of us have no fear of dying/death.
Quote:
I'm not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
... fear seems to be a motivator for the majority.
Quote:
I have no reason to lie, neither would I.
But I have been stabbed in the back.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:32 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,738,319 times
Quote:
'When God created the heaven and earth after the 7 days we were told it was before everything was in the field. I believe that man is being created in the image of a God, spirit overcoming flesh, good over evil.' well I used to say what you said. but I have since had a change of heart.

I personally think that the new law is some how only life. not flesh vs spirit. good vrs evil not from a traditional understanding of these terms.. . and Life is the only goal and has been the only goal . He is life and He knows what leads to life. and we don't know even what life is period , we don't know what we don't know and how much of we don't know is known by him .. there is no other measure cup to understand it . I had my whole world shook up .. and I don't think we can get to the place where he is safe to shake up the apple cart on theology until we have wrestled out our ideas of good and evil with him and man. man is death and God is life and until that is the core of our being .. the fight is on..
men do not know the way to life , man can't understand it and can't define it .. we do not know the way to bring us to life. certainly not by our weighing good and evil for ourselves .. it is NOT about our experience or our feelings or our concepts of life. SO who's life is our goal ? or who is that image coming from ? if not Him it is not life .

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 05-08-2017 at 04:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity