Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 09:31 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,071,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Romulus, I have great respect for your biblical knowledge. But I have HEARD tongues spoken and once was even given insight that it was Hebrew that was being spoken. But the young man speaking didn't have a clue to what he was doing. I even asked him about it afterwards.

I have heard my grandmother pray in her bathroom late at night, very quietly, but my head was on a couch just a few feet from the hall and the bathroom door. She would be speaking in English then suddenly in the middle of a sentence be speaking in that unknown tongue that lifts the individual so speaking into a deeper relationship with God. Suddenly the tongues would turn back to English in the middle of a very different sentence.

It's not that tongues are unbiblical, but just as the Egyptian "magicians" could make frogs appear the same as Moses (Exodus 8:7), there are tongues charlatans. These are the ones that always seem to get attention.

The difficulty is that the more they want to appear "spiritual" the less they do. If any gift is not founded in love, it is false--that includes the gift of preaching which I used to do irregularly quite often. And I know the difference in preaching out of a heart of love---and just preaching. Some are still fooled into thinking the message is wonderful and from God just as some are fooled into thinking obtuse tongues coming from those seeking to impress those around them is from "god."

It is hard for us to see into the heart---that's why God confined judgment of the heart to Himself. But when it comes from love and not for a show, I think it does have edification for the individual so speaking. In all the years I knew my grandmother, in the times I went to church with her, I never heard her speak in tongues there, though many around her did.

Attempting to judge the heart is difficult. On the other hand, those that spend a lot of time talking as if it is the ONLY gift (it is the least), and MUST be present to "prove" the Holy Spirit, are simply into making a show to supposedly look good in the eyes of some and make themselves feel superior to others.

There is at least one of each kind on this thread---and it is very easy to see which one speaks out of love.

God bless.

Yes it is. Because when the accuser of the brethren is operating, it DOESN'T, at any time, speak out of love, no matter how many fine speeches they make or how many love scriptures they quote..

Thank you for having enough honor not to denigrate the gift, even you can't bypass the opportunity to denigrate the poster. Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 09:41 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,450,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gbpec1jJnk

You really believe, Rbbi1, that the above madness is 'being a fool for Christ's sake'? The scenes in the above video are also a by-product of the alleged 'infilling of the Holy Spirit' that the Pentecostal Church promotes.

To the reader who might be unfamiliar with 'tongues' and the other unholy nonsense that occurs in many charismatic churches, the above video is just a sample. Does it really whet your appetite to crave 'the gifts of the Holy Spirit'? It may well be a 'spirit' - I don't know - but I AM pretty sure that it has NOTHING to do with Jesus Christ!
Serpentine tongue hissing is not rational or Biblical.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
You mean like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gbpec1jJnk

You really believe, Rbbi1, that the above madness is 'being a fool for Christ's sake'? The scenes in the above video are also a by-product of the alleged 'infilling of the Holy Spirit' that the Pentecostal Church promotes.

To the reader who might be unfamiliar with 'tongues' and the other unholy nonsense that occurs in many charismatic churches, the above video is just a sample. Does it really whet your appetite to crave 'the gifts of the Holy Spirit'? It may well be a 'spirit' - I don't know - but I AM pretty sure that it has NOTHING to do with Jesus Christ!

You're a hoot! They are not laughing FROM the Spirit, they are laughing BECAUSE of what the Spirit is doing to those He touches through Hagin. You ever get a 110 shock you couldn't let go of for a few seconds? That's similar to what's like, only not painful. The scripture where it talks about Him QUICKENING our mortal body, well this is it. To quicken means to SPEED UP. We get our English word atom from it. It means to enliven or give life to at the very core, which in our case, is our spirits.

Hagin Sr., there by the way, was one of the most anointed men I ever had the privilege to meet. as the Lord had him call me up front to receive a personal word from, and be anointed with oil as he prayed for me. That's another one of those gifts you'd prefer not to talk about, and it's called word of knowledge. The man had a genuine calling from G-d and you'd do well to see if you can find some of his teachings to listen to. Sorry if it's not "dignified" enough for you, but I'd rather be alive and dignified like this than real "dignified" not much different than a body in a casket, which is the spiritual opposite.

It's also interesting to note that the Quakers and Shakers got their name from the baptism in the Holy Ghost, originally. The Methodist founder also had it, as did the Salvation Army. Just a few who received and then subsequent generations of "wise" men let the fire go out. Peace

Last edited by Rbbi1; 05-30-2017 at 09:56 PM..

Old 05-30-2017, 09:55 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,127,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
You're a hoot! They are not laughing FROM the Spirit, they are laughing BECAUSE of what the Spirit is doing to those He touches through Hagin. You ever get a 110 shock you couldn't let go of for a few seconds? That's similar to what's like, only not painful. The scripture where it talks about Him QUICKENING our mortal body, well this is it. To quicken means to SPEED UP. We get our English word atom from it. It means to enliven or give life to at the very core, which in our case, is our spirits.

Hagin Sr., there by the way, was one of the most anointed men I ever had the privilege to meet. as the Lord had him call me up front to receive a personal word from, and be anointed with oil as he prayed for me. That's another one of those gifts you'd prefer not to talk about, and it's called word of knowledge. The man had a genuine calling from G-d and you'd do well to see if you can find some of his teachings to listen to.

It's also interesting to note that the Quakers and Shakers got their name from the baptism in the Holy Ghost, originally. The Methodist founder also had it, as did the Salvation Army. Just a few who received and then subsequent generations of "wise" men let the fire go out. Peace
That is not what quickening is...

Old 05-30-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Serpentine tongue hissing is not rational or Biblical.

So because a VERY ```FEW take ONE scripture out of context we should throw 50 more away? I think it's funny you think all people who have the gifts of the Spirit, MUST therefore, handle serpents. In fact, there's very few of those churches, mostly in an isolated area.

As for taking up serpents, I prefer to be used to left them up out of the dust realm where the serpent nature is consuming them, and up into the Spirit, where they can stomp on his head. Peace

Old 05-30-2017, 10:40 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,450,100 times
Quote:
So because a VERY ```FEW take ONE scripture out of context we should throw 50 more away? I think it's funny you think all people who have the gifts of the Spirit, MUST therefore, handle serpents. In fact, there's very few of those churches, mostly in an isolated area.

As for taking up serpents, I prefer to be used to left them up out of the dust realm where the serpent nature is consuming them, and up into the Spirit, where they can stomp on his head. Peace
Listen to the video intently, and you will hear your mentor hissing.
Watch closely as his tongue is projected from the roof of his mouth.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:55 PM

6,824 posts, read 2,950,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
I like it! However, I'm not sure that it only refers to the American people. It seems to be a common trend among people generally. We here in Australia have our fair share of gullible people. Population-wise ...we just have fewer of them.

Quote:
Cool....didn't know you were an Aussie. I had a net friend who was an Aussie. Came to visit here once. Lost touch with him, he may have passed by now. Love the accent. Peace
I didn't want to ignore this. So, as a quick digress from the main topic before I get back to 'hammering' you () ...actually I am an Australian citizen (dual citizenship) but I came here in 1980 (my mother married an Australian) from the U.S. So, after 37 years my accent (even though most would regard it to be American, or often, Canadian) would possibly be termed as 'mid-Atlantic'. It is certainly not 'Australian', sadly. That said, whatever the accent, I DO speak the English 'language' ...otherwise referred to in the Bible as 'tongue'.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:

We should BOTH be so blessed as to be 1/100th as anointed as that man was in his lifetime. As for him being a mentor, I didn't have any, because I was busy listening to what HE said, and at 6 months in, He said there was no rapture as it was being taught, which this "mentor" believed in.

But that doesn't mean I didn't recognize the hand of G-d on him and his life, and the gift of healing G-d manifested through him after healing the man himself at age 17 as he lay dying. Those sorts of things, plus an appearance of the risen Christ, tend to make a lasting impression and some out of pure gratitude will lay down their lives in thanks. He was one of them.

I didn't hear any hissing in the video, but I sure heard it in the accuser of the brethren in your flesh. No wonder one of the first things G-d wants to take control over is our TONGUE. Peace

Old 05-30-2017, 11:04 PM

6,824 posts, read 2,950,056 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm not sure why Rbbi1 didn't appear to catch on to what you said initially. I find this sound to be most unsettling. As for the rest of the video ...words fail me.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That is not what quickening is...
Of course it is. To speed up, is to make alive. What don't move, is dead. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity