Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:36 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,029,478 times

Advertisements

Swami Yogananda stated many times he was a follower of Jesus Christ, so I wonder if many have studied his two volume commentaries titled The Second Coming of Christ?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ming-of-christ

I am re-reading it now and it is very inspiring and full of wisdom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 01:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Why not give an excerpt?
I have both Volumes, but have only read a bit.

Well, here, why wait?

'' It is something of a misnomer even to refer to the New Testament as the “Christian” Bible, for it does not belong exclusively to any one sect.
Truth is meant for the blessing and upliftment of the entire human race.
As the Christ Consciousness is universal, so does Jesus Christ belong to all….''

''There is a distinguishing difference of meaning between Jesus and Christ.
His given name was Jesus; his honorific title was “Christ.”
In his little human body called Jesus was born the vast Christ Consciousness, the omniscient Intelligence of God omnipresent in every part and particle of creation.
This Consciousness is the “only begotten Son of God,” so designated because it is the sole perfect reflection in creation of the Transcendental Absolute, Spirit or God the Father.''

Might not be for this crowd, hahahaha.

Old 06-12-2017, 02:25 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
Still believe that Hindu borrowing ideas from the gospels of the Christian bible , but with Hindus hold up the self , where Christians through Jesus hold up Christ and lower down the self , As Jesus and the self are not another demi-god of the Hindu belief ...............Where Christians turn away from sin , but the living God through Jesus can redeem Christians so they can be one with Jesus through the trinity of God ..... So meditation for an inner discovery into the spirit could be meaningless to the Christian faith , as believer just need to believe with confidence of the living God and receive from God the spirit of God and His essence without any meditation what so ever ....See it is all of God and not of the human self , so mixing up Christianity and the Hindu belief may bring some Christian wisdom into the wisdom of God , Hindus will still need to repent and turn away from the Hindu faith the receive the best of God through Jesus Christ and His eternal spirit

Old 06-12-2017, 03:31 PM

Miss Hepburn,

Out of the 1500+ pages you picked that passage

Let us take a peek at part of his comments on the Great Commandments:

Quote:
For God to command that man love Him above everything else might seem unbecoming of an all-powerful Deity... This is not to appease some quixotic whim of God, but is rather a necessity through which the individualized soul can make a conscious connection with its Source. God can live without man's love; but as the wave cannot live without the ocean, so it is not possible for man to exist without the love of God.
Of course Yogananda is not a 'proper' Xtian, but his devotion to Jesus is real and his insights are uplifting, if one's heart is open to his neighborly teachings.

Old 06-12-2017, 03:49 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Swami Yogananda stated many times he was a follower of Jesus Christ, so I wonder if many have studied his two volume commentaries titled The Second Coming of Christ?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...ming-of-christ

I am re-reading it now and it is very inspiring and full of wisdom!
Based on the title, and the bit you (and MissH) have posted, I'm guessing I already believe pretty similarly to the author, though I've never heard of him.

What are some of the things by this author that you have found particularly inspiring? In what way has it impacted you and what significant inward changes has his book inspired in you personally, do you think?

Old 06-12-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Based on the title, and the bit you (and MissH) have posted, I'm guessing I already believe pretty similarly to the author, though I've never heard of him.

What are some of the things by this author that you have found particularly inspiring? In what way has it impacted you and what significant inward changes has his book inspired in you personally, do you think?
I have always been inspired by people who are open-hearted, altruistic, devoted to the Divine (as they see it) and wise. Yogananda is one of the brightest stars of humanity.

Here, in the same section on the Great Commandments is another splendid teaching:

Quote:
The First Commandment leads the devotee into observance of the second great spiritual law, "like unto it." As one strives to feel God within, he has also a duty to share his experience of God with his neighbors: "Thou shalt love thy neighbor (all races and creatures anywhere with whom one comes in contact) as thyself (as you love your own soul) — because you see God in everyone.”
To love parents, relatives, associates, countrymen, all races of the earth, all creatures, flowers, stars, which live in the "neighborhood" or range of one's consciousness is to love God in His multifarious tangible manifestations.
Those persons yet unable to love God as His subtle expressions in meditation can nurture their love for Him as manifested in nature and in all beings they contact or sense in any way.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:29 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,386,780 times
I did try to find the audiobook, but no luck. I did come across his autobiography on youtube, however. I'm guessing that would be a good introduction to him. Thanks for the suggestion, Mahayana.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I did try to find the audiobook, but no luck. I did come across his autobiography on youtube, however. I'm guessing that would be a good introduction to him. Thanks for the suggestion, Mahayana.
The organization he founded, Self-Realization Fellowship is still around, with a website and centers around the USA and world.

His Autobiography of a Yogi is how I and thousands of others first heard of him.

Here is the first of four pages of tributes to him:

Writers and Editors

Old 06-12-2017, 05:32 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
The organization he founded, Self-Realization Fellowship is still around, with a website and centers around the USA and world.

His Autobiography of a Yogi is how I and thousands of others first heard of him.

Here is the first of four pages of tributes to him:

Writers and Editors
I have read most of his works. I attended a meeting on Sunday in California once long ago. Very positive group.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
Quote:
Miss Hepburn,
Out of the 1500+ pages you picked that passage
Well, you're welcome...I have limited time and those were at the beginning of the
Excerpts online.
C'ya, won't be back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity