Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 08:02 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, you're welcome...I have limited time and those were at the beginning of the
Excerpts online.
C'ya, won't be back.
Realiy? Why not? Seemed a good take on what "embodiment" or "incarnation" of spiritual into physical means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 08:03 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Why not give an excerpt?
I have both Volumes, but have only read a bit.

Well, here, why wait?

'' It is something of a misnomer even to refer to the New Testament as the “Christian” Bible, for it does not belong exclusively to any one sect.
Truth is meant for the blessing and upliftment of the entire human race.
As the Christ Consciousness is universal, so does Jesus Christ belong to all….''

''There is a distinguishing difference of meaning between Jesus and Christ.
His given name was Jesus; his honorific title was “Christ.”
In his little human body called Jesus was born the vast Christ Consciousness, the omniscient Intelligence of God omnipresent in every part and particle of creation.
This Consciousness is the “only begotten Son of God,” so designated because it is the sole perfect reflection in creation of the Transcendental Absolute, Spirit or God the Father.''

Might not be for this crowd, hahahaha.
I think that might appeal to the "crowd" very well, Miss H. but perhaps not to the narrow -path few.

We have a 'all the same God' idea extended to the Gospel Christ, and becoming, shall we say the best and highest aspirations that humanity can ..uhhhh..aspire to.

Jefferson (no Christian -believer) at least saw Christ's teachings as the best morality there was on offer, beating even the greek Philosophers as it went beyond logic to empathy.

Those who think that, as an atheist, I have pointy ears may be surprised to hear that I regard logic and reason (as Mr Spock regarded computers) useful and reliable tools. But Humanity goes a step further.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:47 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,009,498 times
I wonder what he thinks of John 14:6.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:51 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,047,805 times
Mahayana, this swami never was a follower of Jesus Christ, whatever he may have pretended for himself.

Reading this reminded me of: Matthew 15:14 Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. I used to listen alot to all different kinds of guru's, and many of them slip Jesus Christ in their teachings and claim to follow Him. I remember Eckhart Tolle even quoted from the New Testament, oh how deceitful these wolves in sheep clothing are!

I need to warn you to be careful not to fall into that ditch my friend, these teachings are false and dangerous. I have no doubt many souls are lost because they never saw themselves as sinful before a Holy God, never truly repented from their sin and put their faith outside of themselves in the Holy Son of God Jesus Christ - not as a consciousness or an example - but as very God of very God, the One was crucified for our sins so we could be eternally saved.

Just a small example of how he was truly spiritually blind and in error, a quote from his wikipedia on his first meeting with his guru:

"We entered a oneness of silence; words seemed the rankest superfluities. Eloquence flowed in soundless chant from heart of master to disciple. With an antenna of irrefragable insight I sensed that my guru knew God, and would lead me to Him. The obscuration of this life disappeared in a fragile dawn of prenatal memories. Dramatic time! Past, present, and future are its cycling scenes. This was not the first sun to find me at these holy feet!"

Well he obviously thinks quite highly of himself and his antenna of "irrefragable insight", so much for humility. Also he "sensed that his guru knew God". Well let me just say that our own feelings and senses are not our best guide, at least according to Gods Word: Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? And in this case, his senses were indeed way off. Then he goes on to "this was not the first sun to find me at these holy feet", well let's just say he obviously has no idea what true holiness is, or he wouldn't have made that comment about a mere mortal. We are all quite unholy, we are all fallen and sinful people. The only exception was Jesus Christ Himself, He alone was without sin, yet He was made sin for us at the cross, so we might become the Righteousness of God in Him.

Mahayana I do pray you will believe that I am not trying to deceive you, but I am concerned about your soul. And I hope you will accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour, not as a consciousness or a source of wisdom, but as the propitiation for your sins. There are not many ways, Jesus Christ is the only way to the Father, only through Him can we receive forgiveness of sin - all other ways, guru's, teachers (some of which might even abuse His name) lead to eternal hell and seperation from God.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:17 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,915,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I wonder what he thinks of John 14:6.
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Probably something like "I embody the way that God intended for us to come into fellowship with Him and man, and everyone who comes to Him will be on that path."

Old 06-13-2017, 09:52 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,029,478 times
Chanokh,

Your concern for my soul touches me, but to your mind I may be lost. I placed my refuge in Buddha almost 40 years ago. Yet I admire and encourage all good-hearted, altruistic & ethical folk. Thus my fondness for Yogananda (and many other religious figures).

These particular two volumes have much to say on the teachings of Jesus Christ, and one must not base ones view just on my few posts here. Yogananda wrote much on Christ, always with love and devotion.

As for John 14:6, one place (among others) in these 1500 pages he quotes his Guru on the verse:

Quote:
My revered guru Sri Yukteswarji said:

"Jesus meant, never that he was the sole Son of God, but that no man can attain the unqualified Absolute, the transcendent Father beyond creation, until he has first manifested the 'Son' or activating Christ Consciousness within creation. Jesus, who had achieved entire oneness with that Christ Consciousness, identified himself with it inasmuch as his own ego had long since been dissolved."
I realize that doctrinally focused Christians consider the exclusive nature of Jesus being the "only way" as central. That is also why many, like me, will not accept that unique claim for Him.

Yet that claim does not forestall love and devotion for Jesus Christ by non-Christians.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Chanokh,

Your concern for my soul touches me, but to your mind I may be lost. I placed my refuge in Buddha almost 40 years ago. Yet I admire and encourage all good-hearted, altruistic & ethical folk. Thus my fondness for Yogananda (and many other religious figures).

These particular two volumes have much to say on the teachings of Jesus Christ, and one must not base ones view just on my few posts here. Yogananda wrote much on Christ, always with love and devotion.

As for John 14:6, one place (among others) in these 1500 pages he quotes his Guru on the verse:

I realize that doctrinally focused Christians consider the exclusive nature of Jesus being the "only way" as central. That is also why many, like me, will not accept that unique claim for Him.

Yet that claim does not forestall love and devotion for Jesus Christ by non-Christians.
Yet the question you should ask yourself is, is Buddha a safe refuge? Can your sins be forgiven by Buddha? Is that path going to bring you eternal life or eternal misery? Here is a testimony from a Buddhist monk that saw Buddha in hell, will you at least do me the favour of listening to it? If you take Buddha as your refuge, at least be prepared for the place you are going to be alongside him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO4covXqbvM

Old 06-13-2017, 12:11 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,283,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Probably something like "I embody the way that God intended for us to come into fellowship with Him and man, and everyone who comes to Him will be on that path."
Nate, you could not have said that any better.

Old 06-13-2017, 12:31 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,029,478 times
Chanokh,

I did watch it all and am not worried about the karmic consequences for anyone from not following Jesus exclusively. Unless, that is, one pledged, promised or vowed to follow only Jesus. And even then I do not know if hell, eternal or otherwise, would occur to the person.

But you would know, right?

One other point that you may or may not be interested in. In Mahayana there are records of Buddha and some of his great Bodhisattvas visiting hell to help relieve the suffering there and sometimes for some residents to end it. For there are many hells (and heavens) in Buddhism, but one's stay there is never eternal and some hells are worse than others.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Chanokh,

I did watch it all and am not worried about the karmic consequences for anyone from not following Jesus exclusively. Unless, that is, one pledged, promised or vowed to follow only Jesus. And even then I do not know if hell, eternal or otherwise, would occur to the person.

But you would know, right?

One other point that you may or may not be interested in. In Mahayana there are records of Buddha and some of his great Bodhisattvas visiting hell to help relieve the suffering there and sometimes for some residents to end it. For there are many hells (and heavens) in Buddhism, but one's stay there is never eternal and some hells are worse than others.
Well Mahayana, you do not realise the absolute Holiness of God and the terrible sinfulness of man. Infact we are all under Gods judgment from birth, the proof of this is death (and even babies die), which is the penalty for our sins that none of us can escape.
But after the natural death, our spirits still live on and there is the final judgment by a Holy God, and none of us are good enough to make it to heaven by our own merit or "good karma". Trust me, if we could get to heaven on our own merit, then Buddha and many others would surely be there. But the Bible says, all our righteousness are as filthy rags to God. We all have "extremely bad karma". Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.

Our good deeds will not hold before a Holy God on the day of judgment, He simply will see a broken Law, the Ten Commandments, and like a just Judge He will have to punish accordingly. No matter how many "good deeds" we did, we get judged for breaking His Holy Law. And we all broke Gods Law, have you ever lied, or stolen, or looked at a man or woman that was not your own husband or wife with sexual desire? We are all guilty, and just like a rapist will get judged for his rape, and won't get a milder sentence for all the soup kitchens he has served, likewise we won't be able to bring all our "good deeds" before God to weigh them in with the bad and earn our way into heaven.

What we need is forgiveness of our sins, and God wants to forgive us. God is not only Righteous and Holy, but also merciful and loving. Jesus Christ came down to earth to live a perfectly holy and sinless life on our behalf, and Jesus carried the punishment for our sins upon Himself. No mere mortal could pay for the sins of another human being, but because He is the Eternal Son of God, He could carry this punishment in our stead. So because of what Jesus Christ did for us, God can now forgive us from our sins and give us everlasting life in heaven, but only through Him you see. Otherwise there is no atonement for our sins, we still need to pay for them ourselves, which we can't, and which is the reason why hell is eternal, eternal seperation from the Eternal God Whom we have offended by our sins.

But thank you for watching, however sad it is, at least now you know what your future will be as long as you do not repent from your sin and put your trust in Jesus Christ as your Savior. I pray God will open your eyes to see this is no joke, no deceit, but infact His way of reaching out to you because He wants to save you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity