Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 07:01 PM

698 posts, read 648,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Proverbs 13:24 (NKJV)
24 He who spares his rod hates his son,
But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

What does this verse mean to you? I
ve seen other examples as well along the same lines.
Proverbs 10:13(NKJV)
13 Wisdom is found on the lips of him who has understanding,
But a rod is for the back of him who is devoid of understanding.

Proverbs 22:15(NKJV)
15 Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child;
The rod of correction will drive it far from him.

Proverbs 23:13New King James Version (NKJV)
13 Do not withhold correction from a child,
For if you beat him with a rod, he will not die.

Proverbs 29:15(KJV)
15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

The word rod indicates a thin stick or switch that can be used to give a small amount of physical pain with no lasting physical injury.

Even though I would get a whipping if I was bad growing up, I personally dont believe in beating children with a belt. Maybe a pop or 2 on the behind, but belt whippings just reminds me of slavery of someone getting whipped and being quoted the bible the same time as well.

I do agree in discipline of a child to teach them lessons and time out is nonsense and doesnt work, but it seems like scriptures encourages the beating of children when you see the word rod in many verses and many Ive known get overjoyed to quote that verse to beat their children when they are bad.

The word “rod” denotes physical chastening. However, these proverbs are not restricted in its application to physical chastening because the consequences of folly can come in many forms, physical chastening is just one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 10:19 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,331,204 times
How could you ever chastise a child for something you do not live up to yourself?. Lead by example .... This is the way.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:47 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,054,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I heard you loud and clear, but I didn't have to uproot the good with the bad.

For me, it ONLY took a few words of wisdom and a loving heart.

To the degree the wheat is raised up, the tares are raised up in equal measure. Peace

Old 07-02-2017, 12:48 AM

63,895 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
How could you ever chastise a child for something you do not live up to yourself?. Lead by example .... This is the way.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:51 AM

63,895 posts, read 40,172,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
To the degree the wheat is raised up, the tares are raised up in equal measure. Peace
I think what Jer is trying to explain to you is that tares come from DIFFERENT seeds from the wheat. What seeds are you planting?

Old 07-02-2017, 01:02 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,054,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I think what Jer is trying to explain to you is that tares come from DIFFERENT seeds from the wheat. What seeds are you planting?

And I think what I'm trying to explain is that the wheat and the tares according to Matt. 13 were planted in the same field. Who planted each, and how were/are each dealt with ACCORDING TO THE WORD? Let every man be a liar, but G-d tell the truth. Peace

Old 07-02-2017, 11:08 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,392,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
That all depends on how you raise them, or that which you water the most.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity