Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 06:56 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Post 529 was an example.

The broader answer is that people have always taught others about God with or without a book.

I know history isn't a popular subject, but some of you don't seem to understand that until relatively recently, the majority of people were illiterate.

Further, for a large subset of that time, the scriptures were only available in a language not understood or read by the common people. Those in power in the church who were corrupt were able to twist the words to their advantage to manipulate the common believer.

And yet...the true meaning of the faith endured and shone through, without access to the written words in their own language, because people understood the truth and lived it and passed it on. How did that happen?

I know you, Finn Jarber, will not consider for a moment anything I just wrote and are probably already madly forming a dismissive rebuttal in your mind, because like many who hold the Bible to be equivalent to God, you are not a person who engages in thoughtful dialogue. That's OK. It's who you are right now.

But you asked the question, and I thought I should answer. Others are reading.
I am sorry, but there are no answers in this post, or in post 529.

Can you give me something specific which is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, which is not taught in the Bible?

Old 07-31-2017, 07:11 AM

88,636 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am sorry, but there are no answers in this post, or in post 529.

Can you give me something specific which is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, which is not taught in the Bible?
Change the question. Aren't you da tricky one.

So, no. I believe it's all in there. But it's not ONLY in there.

Predicted you wouldn't respond honestly, didn't I. I think there might be something about THAT in the Bible, too.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:16 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
When you maintain that pot should be illegal, the inescapable conclusion is that sufferers be relegated to using far more dangerous drugs. Own the consequences of your stance.
Quote:
Sounds like a marijuana induced conclusion. I guess you'd want cocaine legalized too, or people will be forced to use heroin, and it would be all your fault.
And people wonder why we have trouble convincing some people of what should be obvious. Reason flies out the window before prejudice.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:25 AM

Quote:
And people wonder why we have trouble convincing some people of what should be obvious. Reason flies out the window before prejudice.
Good observation, nate. When your thinking is hemmed in by a system of "shoulds", expansion of thought and reason cannot take root.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Change the question. Aren't you da tricky one.

So, no. I believe it's all in there. But it's not ONLY in there.

Predicted you wouldn't respond honestly, didn't I. I think there might be something about THAT in the Bible, too.
That is the exact question I have asked numerous times. Feel free to answer the other posters version of it. Trying to make it about me is a dodge.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Your 'conclusion' deserves the kind of reply you got. You concluded if you don't legalize pot, its your fault people shoot heroin

Old 07-31-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
That is the exact question I have asked numerous times. Feel free to answer the other posters version of it. Trying to make it about me is a dodge.
Look, you piggy-backed on another poster saying you had asked "the same question", which was how would someone know about Jesus without the Bible. Your question, however, is completely different.

I answered your question, so what did I dodge exactly? Do you just NEED to have something to whine about? Geez.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:48 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times
Quote:
Your 'conclusion' deserves the kind of reply you got. You concluded if you don't legalize pot, its your fault people shoot heroin
That is not what was said and you know it, Finn. WardenDresden compared marijuana and prescription drugs in post #525. Maybe you didn't understand that even when it was presented in plain English or have forgotten it.
Originally Posted by Wardendresden
No, healthcare officials ARE cracking down on prescription opioid medicine because it is killing 91 people per day from overdoses.

Let me try again, Finn. When you refuse to allow pot as relief from the suffering of those affected by certain conditions you force them to use much more dangerous PRESCRIPTION medication.

NOW will you own the consequences of your position?

Old 07-31-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Look, you piggy-backed on another poster saying you had asked "the same question", which was how would someone know about Jesus without the Bible. Your question, however, is completely different.

I answered your question, so what did I dodge exactly? Do you just NEED to have something to whine about? Geez.
Whine? Why the rudeness? You angry? Its the same question is different words.

Ok, as expected I will not be getting an answer this time either. No specifics, only the claim that "it is so, because I say so", which is not an answer. That was my point anyway, and you have proven it.

Thank you and have a blessed day.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Whine? Why the rudeness? You angry? Its the same question is different words.

Ok, as expected I will not be getting an answer this time either. No specifics, only the claim that "it is so, because I say so", which is not an answer. That was my point anyway, and you have proven it.

Thank you and have a blessed day.
Thank you, I will. Not angry, but frustrated. You are not stupid. I don't understand the reasoning behind your pretending not to understand. It is childish and unnecessary.

You asked:

"Can you give me something specific which is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, which is not taught in the Bible?"

That's a DIRECT quote. YOUR words, Finn Jarber. Your exact question, copied and pasted.

My response was no, it is all in there. How in the name of all that is holy do you read "it is so because I say so" into that?

Your question is NOT the same question as "how would you know about Jesus without the Bible?"

I gave that a different answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity