Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:18 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Ah and example that you can't understand simple English.

Quote:
Proverbs 3:5-7New International Version (NIV)5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.[a]

One has to understand what God is saying to trust it. In many cases that requires serious thinking about it.
Why an introduction to the Spirit and an understanding of the character and fruit of that Spirit are so important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 09:23 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
OMG Jerwade, I think I found common ground with you. Move over a bit, you're cramping my style. Peace
Is this the male or female that's talking? Just want to be sure I can wear my pants this morning without someone telling me what color to wear.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:25 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I deleted the other post, after I realized the error. But you can leave it up as a banner.
What font size, style and color would you prefer, open to suggestions this morning.
The one you're using in this post is perfect.

It's just something about the size and script of the other one that makes it really hard for me to read. You're a sweetie for complying with the request of an aging woman.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:05 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,047,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Is this the male or female that's talking? Just want to be sure I can wear my pants this morning without someone telling me what color to wear.

LOL, you're not color blind are you? Do those socks REALLY match? Sound familiar? Peace

Old 08-14-2017, 10:07 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,047,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
The one you're using in this post is perfect.

It's just something about the size and script of the other one that makes it really hard for me to read. You're a sweetie for complying with the request of an aging woman.

Thank you for mentioning that. He healed my eyesight, but I was starting to feel like I was going blind on some of his posts. Peace

Old 08-15-2017, 05:41 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Why an introduction to the Spirit and an understanding of the character and fruit of that Spirit are so important.
Agreed.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:18 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,109,807 times
Reading through this thread, the only sensible thing that can be said at this point is to those who are truly seeking to know the truth about God and His Word:

1. Be very careful whose answers you accept. If you take someone's answers just because you like how it sounds, or it's something you can happily believe, then is that really the truth? I will never understand how people will claim to be Christians, and believe in God, but say His Word is full of errors. If that's true, how would you know what's true and what's not? The answer? Most people pick and choose what they want to believe about God and His Word. Scripture interprets scripture. Not people.

2. Not everyone who claims to be a Christian actually is one. In fact, most aren't. Not according to the Bibles definition of Christianity and what it means to be a true one. The rest will hear the most horrifying words in the scriptures spoken to them when they stand before God one day, expecting to get into heaven.

Matthew 7:21-23, "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’"

"Depart from Me" is their rightful judgment to hell.

This verse, along with others like Matthew22:14 and Matthew 7:13-14. If hell wasn't real, and every person gets saved in the end, how do Universalists who believe in ultimate reconciliation explain these away? What about people who consciously choose to not want anything to do with God? A loving God forces people to go to heaven? How do they explain all the many, many passages warning about hell and how Jesus spoke more about hell than heaven? Many people disagree with that statement. The only way to find out for yourself is to get in the scriptures for yourself and find out. If you're looking to other people, especially in places like this forum where you don't know anyone from Adam (including me), then you are risking your own never-ending, never-to-be-changed, eternity.

Common sense and reasoning alone say that believing in heaven, without the opposite alternative of the existence of hell, is just wishful thinking. God is love, yes! But He's also just.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:34 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
Reading through this thread, the only sensible thing that can be said at this point is to those who are truly seeking to know the truth about God and His Word:

1. Be very careful whose answers you accept. If you take someone's answers just because you like how it sounds, or it's something you can happily believe, then is that really the truth? I will never understand how people will claim to be Christians, and believe in God, but say His Word is full of errors. If that's true, how would you know what's true and what's not? The answer? Most people pick and choose what they want to believe about God and His Word. Scripture interprets scripture. Not people.

2. Not everyone who claims to be a Christian actually is one. In fact, most aren't. Not according to the Bibles definition of Christianity and what it means to be a true one. The rest will hear the most horrifying words in the scriptures spoken to them when they stand before God one day, expecting to get into heaven.

Matthew 7:21-23, "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’"

"Depart from Me" is their rightful judgment to hell.

This verse, along with others like Matthew22:14 and Matthew 7:13-14. If hell wasn't real, and every person gets saved in the end, how do Universalists who believe in ultimate reconciliation explain these away? What about people who consciously choose to not want anything to do with God? A loving God forces people to go to heaven? How do they explain all the many, many passages warning about hell and how Jesus spoke more about hell than heaven? Many people disagree with that statement. The only way to find out for yourself is to get in the scriptures for yourself and find out. If you're looking to other people, especially in places like this forum where you don't know anyone from Adam (including me), then you are risking your own never-ending, never-to-be-changed, eternity.

Common sense and reasoning alone say that believing in heaven, without the opposite alternative of the existence of hell, is just wishful thinking. God is love, yes! But He's also just.
I believe in heaven and hell--but that is not necessarily the last word, at least if you understood "hell" in the Greek language.
Quote:
In the Old Testament, it is translated from one word, Sheol. In the New Testament, "hell" is translated from three words, tartaroo, Hades, and Gehenna. Let us look at their meanings.
----------
"Hell" is translated only one time from tartaroo, which is from the root Tartaros, which means "the deepest abyss of Hades" (2 Peter 2:4). Apparently, Peter was not writing about a place of flames and torment because "the angels that sinned" are there "to be reserved unto judgment." It would not make sense that angels would be burning in hell before judgment is pronounced on them. If angels are being reserved for judgment, it means they haven’t been judged yet.
------------------------------
Hades is used 11 times in the New Testament. It is translated 10 times as "hell", and 1 time as "grave." Hades means "the place (state) of departed souls, grave, hell." In Acts 2:27,31, apparently, both the righteous and the wicked go to Hades, the same as they both go to Sheol in the Old Testament, for Christ went to hell when He died. In quoting the Old Testament prophecy regarding Christ, the New Testament writer uses Hades. Compare Acts 2:27 with Psalm 16:10. It seems more logical to think of Christ in the grave instead of in a burning hell.

1 Corinthians 15:55 illustrates that "grave" is a proper reading for Hades. This verse is quoted from Hosea 13:14 in the Old Testament where we find the equivalent word Sheol (grave).

Hades is also used in Matthew 11:23; 16:18, Luke 10:23, and Revelation 1:18; 6:8. In Revelation 20:13-14, if one thinks of "hell" as death represented by the grave, it makes sense for hell to be cast into the lake of fire. After all, if "hell" itself is really a lake of fire, how can it be thrown into itself? This does not make any sense. Notice in 1 Corinthians 15:26 that death will be destroyed. What is represented by death? The grave!
------------------
"Hell is translated twelve times from Gehenna (or, as it is sometimes transliterated, Geenna). This is the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word Hinnom, which is the name of a valley outside Jerusalem where garbage and the carcasses of animals were cast into and consumed by fire constantly kept burning. Thus, Gehenna is the only one of those words translated as "hell" in the Bible, that has any idea of fire or torment resident in it. Look at Matthew 5:22,29-30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15,33 and Mark 9:43,45,47. It is apparent from these texts that the whole physical body is cast into Hell, and not just the soul. Gehenna is also used in Luke 12:5 and James 3:6.
"Gehenna was a well-known valley, near Jerusalem, in which the Jews in their idolatrous days had sacrificed their children to the idol Moloch, in consequence of which it was condemned to receive the offal and refuse and sewage of the city, and into which the bodies of malefactors were cast and where to destroy the odor and pestilential influences, continual fires were kept burning. Here fire, smoke, worms bred by the corruption, and other repulsive features, rendered the place a horrible one, in the eyes of the Jews. It was a locality with which they were as well acquainted. But in process of time Gehenna came to be an emblem of the consequences of sin, and to be employed figuratively by the Jews, to denote those consequences. But always in this world. The Jews never used it to mean torment after death, until long after Christ. The word had not the meaning of post-mortem torment when our Savior used it." (J.W. Hanson's, Bible Threatenings Explained).
Also note, not one single time in the entire Old Testament was this word "Ge-Hinnom" translated as "hell." See Leviticus 18:21; 20:2; Joshua 15:8; 18:16; 2 Kings 23:10; 2 Chronicles 28:3; 33:6; Nehemiah 11:30; Jeremiah 7:30-33; 19:2, 6; 32:35.

Every Bible reference using the word "hell" is addressed to this world. It was also employed in the time of Christ as a symbol of moral corruption and wickedness; but more especially as a figure of the terrible judgment of God on the rebellious and sinful nation of the Jews. It was a place fit only for waste.
What Does the Bible Teach About Hell?

The point is that many believe many things about both heaven and hell. But hell is one that depends on translation, and the translations we have are a hodge-podge with the KJV having used "hell" more than any other translation. That said, if one brings a preconceived notion of hell to whatever translation they read---it will always mean exactly the same thing.

It is incumbent upon each of us to at least UNDERSTAND where others are coming from and why---and not arbitrarily suggest that their interpretation is wrong.

What is never wrong--is the Love of God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJgyu6RUWoM

Old 08-17-2017, 04:53 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Simple Living would you mind posting where these verses are?
"Not according to the Bible's definition of Christianity and what it means to be a true one."

I really thought the definition was decided at the Nicene Council, no?
Thanks, take your time if there are a lot.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:12 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
It's the prime directive of xianity, stay stupid and do what daddy tells you to do.
If you want to label something stupid, put your above statement at the top of the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity