Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 01:14 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,817,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Nobody is running toward religion for salvation. Religion is used as an excuse for salvation a kind of membership card to throw in God's face to justify sin and self-indulgence.

Pseudo-Christians use the name of the Christ to justify flirtations with sin, self-important and devious interpretations of scripture and empty ceremony to cleanse guilt from their conscience. All of this false religion is like a plague upon the earth and it does nothing except to placate a mind obsessed with wickedness.

Most people seek the truth, but when they find it they discover that truth will talk back to them.
Truth will require certain behavior and truth will not turn from what it requires.

Having discovered this uncomfortable situation, most people turn their back upon the truth. They tell others that they couldn't find it or that it didn't agree with them or that it wasn't what they expected. So they hide in the dark, making the words of Jesus quite true when He said that most men hate the light and hide in the darkness.

Truth is the enemy of sin and because most of mankind prefers to go their own way they deny the truth and call it a lie. This sort of thing works for a while, but in the end lies will kill those that follow it.

It is easier to blame somebody else for the uncomfortable aspects of truth than it may be to hear it, to follow it and to stand up to a world that hates it.

Almost every post on this page attempts to squirm its way out of the light of truth.

The time to repent is at hand. The time to seek truth and to deny ourselves in the act of embracing it in all its glory.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
hooah

Old 10-06-2017, 04:19 PM

7,599 posts, read 6,101,988 times
I have to point out that many people seem to use religion just as a strictly social network and to have something to do, perhaps as a way to make new friends or be involved.
While in religion, the two latter never worked out for me, but I know many people who joined the Mormons found both friends and involvement.
Of course people like my Grandparents would say "Oh those ^$*&* Mormons don't believe what the Bible says"
Thing is, no one really cares. I was raised around Baptists and saw nothing but hypocrisy all around....people who make one claim to a belief then act in a way contrary. Form the pastor on down, Sunday religion was an excuse to justify someone's behavior when convenient. (In my mom's case though it was an addiction, but that is another story)
Many people who joined the Mormons had already had bad experiences with traditional churches, and just wanted to belong to something. Same story with the Hare Krishnas...people just wanted to belong and fit it, regardless of the philosophy.

People don't have to run to a religion for salvation....many of them run to religion just to have a social life. I never did, but I saw it around me. I saw people who had circles of friends strictly from their churches. I saw people who had gatherings during the week so that they could all get together and socialize as common members of a religion. I don't think people were in it for salvation, although that was forced and preached ad nauseum..........I think people just wanted to go follow and do what others were doing. Which partially explains the megachurch phenomenon. People want to fit in.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:17 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,398,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
People don't have to run to a religion for salvation...
No, they don't.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:32 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,998,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
While you are perhaps lumping Christianity in with religion, note that at 3:10 into the video the speaker says ''religion is man searching for God, but Christianity is God searching for man.'' Therefore, the speaker is distinguishing between Christianity and religion.
Actually he isn't right. Christianity is a religion. It is the only true religion because it has the only true God. Th person who made that video makes a common mistake made by many trying to discredit Christianity. They ASSUME everything done in the name of Christianity was done by Christians. Verses like. "you shall know them by heir fruits," "not all who say Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of heaven,"and "You shall not murder." tell a different story.

Christianity, when properly understood and followed will save your soul. For a religion to be effective, it must be based o n truth. Nowhere in Christianity is what he presented as "Christian" taught.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
I Like the video.
The young man is saying alot.
He said a lot that is not true of Christianity.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't think many people believe that religion itself can save their souls, but many do seem to be of the opinion that correct beliefs can.
If a religion is not correct in all respects, it is not a true religion. God has given us His inspired and inerrant word to we have a means of evaluating religions and determining which ONE is true.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And God told you which are false?

Let's compare lists and see who is on your list that is not on mine?
Let's compare list and see which one are not Biblical.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:44 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,074,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
It is the only true religion because it has the only true God.
Are you able to prove this assumption of yours?...

Quote:
Christianity, when properly understood and followed will save your soul. For a religion to be effective, it must be based o n truth. Nowhere in Christianity is what he presented as "Christian" taught.
Judaism, when properly understood and followed, will save your soul...

Old 10-09-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Do you?, i would be very interested if you do. Please do not quote bible verses at me, that will not be taken that you have explained anYthing.
Bible verses explain things if you undererstand them and accept them a true.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:46 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,074,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
If a religion is not correct in all respects, it is not a true religion. God has given us His inspired and inerrant word to we have a means of evaluating religions and determining which ONE is true.
Well, you have a mistranslated version of the Torah, which you call the Old Testament, so how does that work?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.