Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 03:18 PM

691 posts, read 419,993 times

Advertisements

i don't hate it or " love" it, i respect it and often catch myself loving the point of it. it contains lessons, examples of right and wrong, good and bad, error and perfection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 03:20 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Hannibal,
Just quickly passing through to let you know that not everybody lives, eats, breaths city data ... Some do actually productive things like go to work ... be on call that requires traveling ... repairing the house ...
Sorry nateswift to spoil yet another several of your unstable gotcha narratives.
.... need to get back to work.
I guess I got told, HA!

Just glad your ok.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:21 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
when someone says "bible hater" if you got offended ( that is what you claimed just now ) then it is your conscience telling you it's truth.
So if I were not a total stranger but someone who knows you well, and said you were a "child molester" or a bad parent or a racist or some other thing that you're not, it would be proven true if it troubled you in any way?

I agree you shouldn't be troubled, but disagree that being troubled definitively proves anything one way or the other. Aside maybe from personal immaturity.
Quote:
if you choose your feelings over his word... you don't love Him more than you love you and you might not trust him more than you trust you...
I choose reality as I experience it over anything claimed by others, by holy books, etc. Not because I'm infallible, but because I am obliged to deal in reality because it's where I find myself.

My love for god was never in question. It was my belief in him that ran into difficulties, because I do not afford belief to the unsubstantiated.
Quote:
I won't get offended by those words from anyone ...unless HE tells me that then I might feel offended because it will be true....
I hope I'm misunderstanding you here, because you appear to be saying that you should be offended if something is true, when in fact you should simply accept criticism for self improvement. Worse: you're saying that a voice in your head or from the sky has to tell you what's true and what isn't.

All in all, I'd say you're basing way too much on how people profess to be offended, as if being offended proves anything or gives anyone special rights to be catered to. Neither are true. In my experience, believers love to be offended over their taboos and then turn right around and claim others being offended proves they're guilty of something.

Old 11-04-2017, 05:16 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
So if I were not a total stranger but someone who knows you well, and said you were a "child molester" or a bad parent or a racist or some other thing that you're not, it would be proven true if it troubled you in any way?

I agree you shouldn't be troubled, but disagree that being troubled definitively proves anything one way or the other. Aside maybe from personal immaturity.

I choose reality as I experience it over anything claimed by others, by holy books, etc. Not because I'm infallible, but because I am obliged to deal in reality because it's where I find myself.

My love for god was never in question. It was my belief in him that ran into difficulties, because I do not afford belief to the unsubstantiated.

I hope I'm misunderstanding you here, because you appear to be saying that you should be offended if something is true, when in fact you should simply accept criticism for self improvement. Worse: you're saying that a voice in your head or from the sky has to tell you what's true and what isn't.

All in all, I'd say you're basing way too much on how people profess to be offended, as if being offended proves anything or gives anyone special rights to be catered to. Neither are true. In my experience, believers love to be offended over their taboos and then turn right around and claim others being offended proves they're guilty of something.
this one made me laugh.

appeal to emotion. then personal attack, and finally what you want is the final truth.

your last para is spot on. milli's are great at crying the blues and turn around and attack fundy's. both mentals. although one is never a cured fundy, maybe the limited thinking belief changed, but the fundy traits expressing the belief always remain. same with the milli.

I like how you claim he should take criticism ... you do that so well. lmao. when facts get in the way of your belief statement, run away, hide, deny, and shun ...lmao.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:06 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
In my experience, believers love to be offended over their taboos and then turn right around and claim others being offended proves they're guilty of something.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:28 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
All copies of the Catcher in the Rye should be burned immediately, I mean, of all the things I was always thinking of doing was to one day read the Catcher in the rye, I don't even know what it is about and for somebody who reads as many books as I do, I will no doubt run across a copy, and from I hear, I will go crazy after that.
You really do need to read it. It's about a young kid who WANTS to do wrong, but can't help but do what's right in situation after situation.

Now the polar opposite, and quite crass book, is Portnoy's Complaint.It's about a young man who badly wants to do the RIGHT thing, but consistently does the WRONG thing.

Both books tell us about ourselves in different circumstances.

This short analysis from an old English Lit major

Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 AM

23,161 posts, read 10,449,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
You really do need to read it. It's about a young kid who WANTS to do wrong, but can't help but do what's right in situation after situation.

Now the polar opposite, and quite crass book, is Portnoy's Complaint.It's about a young man who badly wants to do the RIGHT thing, but consistently does the WRONG thing.

Both books tell us about ourselves in different circumstances.

This short analysis from an old English Lit major
Sounds pretty good thanks. Sounds like me wanting to do the wrong thing, and thinking I could do it, but I never could. Everytime I stole anything, I always had to bring it back until I figured out there was no use in stealing. Man I used to read at least 5 books a week, Jane Austen was everything, and cold mountain probably the best thing I ever read. The life of PI was absolutely one of the greatest books, it should be read before the movie is seen, but the movie was so close to the book, they did a good job.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:15 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
T ... I say.
I ignored this thread since the beginning.
Just now clicked on it.
No way am I going to read it.
Just wondered what you learned here.
Will probably unsubscribe to it after I get your answer.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:28 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I ignored this thread since the beginning.
Just now clicked on it.
No way am I going to read it.
Just wondered what you learned here.
Will probably unsubscribe to it after I get your answer.
My take: people love to recast their opponent's perceptions in the worst possible light and avoid honest answers to reasonable questions about their own.

Nothing new.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:08 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
My take: people love to recast their opponent's perceptions in the worst possible light and avoid honest answers to reasonable questions about their own.

Nothing new.
You do that routinely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity