Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 12:17 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Here's a quote from who created Webster:

"Our own righteousness is as filthy rags."
God didn't say that. If he didn't, he wouldn't have said "Our".

So the reason you feel justified when you sneer down at others with contempt because their faith doesn't agree with yours is because your own perceived righteousness--although OBVIOUSLY more righteous than everyone else's--isn't at the level of God's righteousness to begin with? That makes your behavior OK?

I think that's some twisted thinking, but that's just me, and it's a good demonstration of somebody using Bible quotes to justify their disdain of other people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 12:22 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So the reason you feel justified when you sneer down at others with contempt because their faith doesn't agree with yours is because your own perceived righteousness--although OBVIOUSLY more righteous than everyone else's--isn't at the level of God's righteousness to begin with? That makes your behavior OK?

I think that's some twisted thinking, but that's just me.

Wow. That is very perceptive, MQ. Very. That is the mindset created in many by the 'filthy rags' doctrine. I'm sure I never would have seen it for what it is, though, when I was under it's spell.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
An anonymous, primitive man who pooped in holes wrote that.
Probably inspired when he was sitting over the poop hole and realized the only rags he had handy were already filthy.

You're a writer, you know how it is. The damndest things can spark inspiration.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:23 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Quote:
God didn't say that. If he didn't, he wouldn't have said "Our".

I think that's some twisted thinking, but that's just me.

Pot, kettle.

The scripture says OUR (that includes me) righteousness is as filthy rags. What part of that don't you get? You and your friends on here routinely insult Christians, dog them relentlessly trying to get them to leave this forum, and when someone calls you on your behaviors, suddenly THEY'RE the rude ones. I've watched it happen to every new person that's come on here in the last 19 months. Peace

Old 11-07-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Wow. That is very perceptive, MQ. Very. That is the mindset created in many by the 'filthy rags' doctrine. I'm sure I never would have seen it for what it is, though, when I was under it's spell.
Yeah. "We're filthy sinners, but not QUITE as filthy as THEM."

Old 11-07-2017, 12:25 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
God didn't say that. If he [did], he wouldn't have said "Our".
You added this after I posted, and this is another, maybe bigger WOW. How did I never notice that?

Old 11-07-2017, 12:25 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Probably inspired when he was sitting over the poop hole and realized the only rags he had handy were already filthy.

You're a writer, you know how it is. The damndest things can spark inspiration.
True enough. I've done some good pondering (and written a few notes) while on the throne.

Would never try to pass them off as a god's dictation though. That takes brass ones.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Pot, kettle.

The scripture says OUR (that includes me) righteousness is as filthy rags. What part of that don't you get? You and your friends on here routinely insult Christians, dog them relentlessly trying to get them to leave this forum, and when someone calls you on your behaviors, suddenly THEY'RE the rude ones. I've watched it happen to every new person that's come on here in the last 19 months. Peace
I am a Christian. How am I insulting Christians? The non-Christians on this board don't insult me. Well, maybe Transponder, but he insults everybody.

The fact of the matter is that the self-righteous fundamentalist mindset angers EVERYONE, Christian or not. It's a false, perverted version of what Jesus taught, assigning divinity to the words of the writings of man and then using them to judge and condemn and exclude others, and, in some cases, harm them.

You know where I was on 9/11. That's the result of the exact type of thinking you and the other fundamentalists embrace--the exclusionary thinking, the belief that you are better and chosen and above other human beings and then taking it to the next step where you believe God wants you to destroy them. Do not fool yourself into thinking that it's any different because the act occurred as a result of the fundamentalism of a different religion.

I will not shut up speaking against that type of thinking, ever.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:34 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Love is the fulfillment of the law, which cannot be swept under the carpet or destroyed.
Quote:
The law has to be present for it to be fulfilled in the first place. Peace
So, once again, Rbbi1, how do you fulfill the requirements of animal sacrifice that ARE present in the Law, and how is that different from what Jerwade observed?

Old 11-07-2017, 12:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
I am a Christian. How am I insulting Christians? The non-Christians on this board don't insult me. Well, maybe Transponder, but he insults everybody.

The fact of the matter is that the self-righteous fundamentalist mindset angers EVERYONE, Christian or not. It's a false, perverted version of what Jesus taught, assigning divinity to the words of the writings of man and then using them to judge and condemn and exclude others, and, in some cases, harm them.

You know where I was on 9/11. That's the result of the exact type of thinking you and the other fundamentalists embrace--the exclusionary thinking, the belief that you are better and chosen and above other human beings and then taking it to the next step where you believe God wants you to destroy them. Do not fool yourself into thinking that it's any different because the act occurred as a result of the fundamentalism of a different religion.

I will not shut up speaking against that type of thinking, ever.
Bravo!

I ain't gonna shut up about it either.

Too soon etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity