Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 10:15 AM

88,752 posts, read 85,140,408 times

Advertisements

I don't suppose anyone else here ever read Nelson Demille's novel Cathedral, about a splinter IRA group taking possession of St. Patrick's in NYC.

Whenever I see Choir Loft's sig line, I think of the character Leary from that book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 AM

23,243 posts, read 10,531,252 times
Not me.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:27 AM

88,752 posts, read 85,140,408 times
Blurb from Amazon:

St. Patrick's Day, New York City. Everyone is celebrating, but everyone is in for the shock of his life. Born into the heat and hatred of the Northern Ireland conflict, IRA man Brian Flynn has masterminded a brilliant terrorist act -- the seizure of Saint Patrick's Cathedral. Among his hostages: the woman Brian Flynn once loved, a former terrorist turned peace activist. Among his enemies: an Irish-American police lieutenant fighting against a traitor inside his own ranks and a shadowy British intelligence officer pursuing his own cynical, bloody plan. The cops face a booby-trapped, perfectly laid out killing zone inside the church. The hostages face death. Flynn faces his own demons, in an electrifying duel of nerves, honor, and betrayal....

https://www.amazon.com/Cathedral-Nel.../dp/0446358576

Leary is not in fact one of the Irish terrorists, but a Vietnam vet hired by one of their backers. He's a sniper up in the choir loft, with his face painted like a leopard, laughing insanely as he picks off whatever cops he can get his sights on.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:29 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Hebrews 11

6 Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

We are good--and we please God--when our hope and faith are in Christ alone, not in our goodness.

Thoughts?
A nice thought

Old 11-07-2017, 10:35 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,063,301 times
[quote=Wardendresden;50054601]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post

No, you quoted Scripture and commandments that in no fashion negated what either Paul or Jesus said. Paul indeed stated that love fulfilled ANY OTHER COMMANDMENTS (besides the Ten).

You either believe he was wrong or you just don't believe the Bible is perfect.

And you haven't provided any verses that negate John's words in 1st John 4:7-8.

Have you Scripture stating that not everyone who loves (agape) has NOT been born of God? Or that people can know God without love?

I'm just illustrating how either your view of Scripture being perfect or your beliefs about being a loveless child of God is wrong. It's an either/or situation and the only support you get is from those who desire a Punishing Deity so that they can justify that others besides themselves will go to hell.

Your god is a Santa Clause god passing out "gifts" when a person is nice and handing over a lump of coal when, in his opinion, they are naughty.

No wonder younger folks are disgusted by such a fairy tale deity.

Bradley Jersak, A More Christlike God: A More Beautiful Gospel, Chapter 4

Your moral values as illustrated in the OT, turn Jesus into a bloodthirsty tyrant. Those founded in love, see the OT reinterpreted into the forgiving, loving, rescuing Christ who would pardon seventy times seven.

The difference for the sinful modern world is that your god looks very much like a vengeful, often arbitrary human being that seems to predominate around us. It isn't the Good News that Jesus brought to earth. It isn't appealing, particularly to rationally minded atheists and agnostics. It appears hateful to them. The message of the OT is overwhelmingly one of fear and this is illustrated by the fear-mongering of fundamentalists about God's judgment falling on America with hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, etc. The divisions in the U.S., political, religious, social, racial, aren't the results of God's judgment, but rather the fear-mongering of fundamentalists and their political allies. We've lost many freedoms, given the government the right to torture and/or punish without trial all in obeisance to the fear that runs rampant in your ranks---not because of servitude to Jesus.

Paul’s enemies never accused him of preaching a willful and exclusionary God. Their concern was always about his message being too gracious, too inclusive and too willing to save anyone. Thank you, Jesus.

Did you ever stop to contemplate apart from all the other evidence contrary to your claims, that Jesus said He didn't come to destroy the law but to fulfill it. Paul then gets the revelation of how it is fulfilled, yet he still kept the law, as the scriptures plainly show. Reason being, if the Master didn't come to destroy it, the servant has no authority to do it, as the servant is not greater than the Master. You have a erroneous view of Paul as being greater than the Master and he's not. In short, you're wrong and you have no concept of the order of G-d. Peace

Old 11-07-2017, 10:37 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,063,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Bingo.

I would add that there is also a problem when they cannot express a thought in their own but rather speak only by reciting memorized verses.

This is so hilarious since most of the time you guys crack on me for NOT quoting scriptures and speaking in "code". It's a case of darned if I do, and darned if I don't, because your ears and your heart are closed from hearing either. Peace

Old 11-07-2017, 10:42 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,426,118 times
Quote:
This is so hilarious since most of the time you guys crack on me for NOT quoting scriptures and speaking in "code". It's a case of darned if I do, and darned if I don't, because your ears and your heart are closed from hearing either. Peace
Please, mention one time MQ or I have ever "cracked on" you for not quoting the bible. Speaking in "code", yes, I have.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:43 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,252,379 times
Quote:
No. We're just tired of the constant clanging.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:55 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,451,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
No. We're just tired of the constant clanging.
It's the unnecessary zingers that are included in most posts...doesn't matter if 'the other guy' is doing it, that's no reason for it and one should rise above the temptation.
Examples to help understand what a dig is...
"you conveniently"..."your heart is
closed"..."you, you you"...these digs peppered into the posts is why I can't read them.
Things can be said without those.
Honey versus vinegar....it's vinegar to me.

Vinegar / clanging cymbals repel people from the very thing a Christian would like people to understand.
What else can be said except a Christian can contemplate in stillness, pray on,
'What can I do to bring people to you, Lord?'(...Because what I am doing is not working.)

A non-believer...just knock it off, period...please.
**And this is not directed to one person and certainly not to only Christians.**

Old 11-07-2017, 10:59 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,423,926 times
Quote:
Did you ever stop to contemplate apart from all the other evidence contrary to your claims, that Jesus said He didn't come to destroy the law but to fulfill it. Paul then gets the revelation of how it is fulfilled, yet he still kept the law, as the scriptures plainly show. Reason being, if the Master didn't come to destroy it, the servant has no authority to do it, as the servant is not greater than the Master. You have a erroneous view of Paul as being greater than the Master and he's not. In short, you're wrong and you have no concept of the order of G-d. Peace
Love is the fulfillment of the law, which cannot be swept under the carpet or destroyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity