Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2018, 10:03 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
What says the collective? is judgment the same time for both?

As an aside I had a Pastor of a large denomination give a sermon on judgment and he maintained that for the believer it would be like a video of your past misdeeds on a large screen........then you would be judged....hhhmmmmm?
That Pastor read too many Chic tracts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2018, 10:04 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Yup, but you should look up what destruction means and where the broad road leads to. If you need help let me know
I know where both paths lead--Few find the correct one Jesus said--Why?? Because the many chose wrong and walked the broad and spacious path to-----DESTRUCTION.
So did they say--lets walk this path and be destroyed=NO-- Satan and his teachers on earth( 2Cor 11:12-15) make things look good to the mortal heart, they deceive and mislead by using--LOVE, SHARING even some truth.
Example like here in these last days--Many are worshipping the image of the beast--WHY? because it looks satanistic=NO--Its being made to look good to the mortal heart--Then at Rev 16--with 3 inspired expressions looking very good to the mortal heart--EVERY kingdom( govt, armies,supporters) will be mislead to stand in opposition to Gods king( Jesus)= 99% on earth. They stand there now and do not even know it.
Do you think Israel sent their own Messiah to his death because they knew he was Gods son=NO--Satan was misleading Gods chosen scholars and all who followed them,to do his will.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
At the Great Day of Judgement the believer will not since s\he is covered with Jesus' righteousness whereas the unbeliever will be exposed for their vile.
And what if that unbeliever committed no vile acts during their life?...What will be exposed then?...

Old 01-01-2018, 10:20 AM

3,220 posts, read 925,486 times
The Bible tells us we are judged by the word of God. That is if we accept it and use it or we reject it and fail to use it.

Use it and you honor the Son. Those who do not honor the Son do not honor the Father who sent Him.

"I came into the world as it's light to keep anyone who believes in me from remaining in the dark. Anyone who hears my word and does not keep it I am not the one who condemns him for I did not come to condemn the world but to save it. Anyone who rejects me and Does not accept my word he already has his judge, namely the words I have spoken, that's what will condemn him on the last day."

" Whoever refuses to honor the son, refuses to honor the Father who sent Him. "

Old 01-01-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
You are correct, in that we will all be ashamed of our deeds. We will not be able to make excuses.

The good news is that the Christian will still be welcomed into heaven based on the righteousness of Jesus--not our own. The one that doesn't have Jesus will be lost in their sin and shame, and be tossed in the lake of fire.

You can come to Jesus. He will forgive you if you believe in him.
IN SHORT... The Bible is clear, and it is consistent: one person cannot die for the sins of another. In other words, the sins committed by one person cannot be wiped out by the punishment given to another. In Exodus 32:30-35, Moses asks Gd to punish him for the sin committed by the people in regards to the Golden Calf. Gd tells Moses that the person who committed the sin is the one who must receive the punishment. Then, in Deuteronomy 24:16, Gd simply states this as a basic principle, 'Every man shall be put to death for his own sin.' This concept is repeated in the Prophets, in Ezekiel 18: 'The soul that sinneth, it shall die... the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.' The prophet Jeremiah looks to the day when the mistaken belief that one man's death atones for another man's sins shall no longer be held by anyone: in Jeremiah 31:29-30, the prophet says: 'In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge.' - What Jews Believe: Essay #1: No Vicarious Atonement

Devarim - Deuteronomy - Chapter 24

16 Fathers shall not be put to death because of sons, nor shall sons be put to death because of fathers; each man shall be put to death for his own transgression.

...Please note that the text tells us that the one who sins is the one who receives the punishment, and no one else. The point is made again in Deuteronomy 24:16, where it explicitly says that no one can die for the sins of another:
The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the father. Every man shall be put to death for his own sin. [Deuteronomy 24:16]...

...The whole of Chapter 18 of the Book of Ezekiel expands upon and clarifies this principle. Furthermore, this chapter teaches that all we have to do to gain Gd's forgiveness is to stop doing the Bad and start doing the Good. Nowhere does it say that we must have a blood sacrifice for the forgiveness of sins. Please see Essay #2, 'A blood sacrifice is not required for forgiveness of sins.' ...*

...The word of the Etrnl came unto me again, saying, What mean ye, that ye use this proverb concerning the land of Israel, saying, The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge? As I live, saith the Etrnl Gd, ye shall not have occasion any more to use this proverb in Israel. Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die...

No one can die to atone for the sins of another.

This is why Jews do not believe there was any redemptive power at all in Jesus' death. Such a belief is unbiblical; it has no basis in the sacred text and no justification in Jewish theology. This doctrine can be seen as an invention for the sake of post-event rationalization, in other words, to give meaning and purpose to the crucifixion after the fact.

Some Christians may choose to interpret other verses in the Bible to indicate the opposite, that one CAN die for the sins of another. If that were the case, this would mean that Gd changed His mind, or that He did not mean what He said in Deuteronomy 24:16: 'Every man shall be put to death for his own sin.'

But Gd does not change either His mind or His nature, as we read in Malachi 3:6,
For I am the Etrnl, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

In a newer technique, some Christians are now quoting rabbinic writings to make it seem as if the rabbis accepted this concept of vicarious atonement. However, even if several respected rabbis did agree with this idea, we must still go by what the Bible states, and the Bible states, in no uncertain terms, 'Every man shall be put to death for his own sin.'... - What Jews Believe: Essay #1: No Vicarious Atonement

Old 01-01-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
The Bible tells us we are judged by the word of God. That is if we accept it and use it or we reject it and fail to use it.

Use it and you honor the Son. Those who do not honor the Son do not honor the Father who sent Him.

"I came into the world as it's light to keep anyone who believes in me from remaining in the dark. Anyone who hears my word and does not keep it I am not the one who condemns him for I did not come to condemn the world but to save it. Anyone who rejects me and Does not accept my word he already has his judge, namely the words I have spoken, that's what will condemn him on the last day."

" Whoever refuses to honor the son, refuses to honor the Father who sent Him. "
Whoever refuses to honor me, dishonors the Father...There, I wrote it, so that makes it true...

Old 01-01-2018, 11:17 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
I know where both paths lead--Few find the correct one Jesus said--Why?? Because the many chose wrong and walked the broad and spacious path to-----DESTRUCTION.
So did they say--lets walk this path and be destroyed=NO-- Satan and his teachers on earth( 2Cor 11:12-15) make things look good to the mortal heart, they deceive and mislead by using--LOVE, SHARING even some truth.
Example like here in these last days--Many are worshipping the image of the beast--WHY? because it looks satanistic=NO--Its being made to look good to the mortal heart--Then at Rev 16--with 3 inspired expressions looking very good to the mortal heart--EVERY kingdom( govt, armies,supporters) will be mislead to stand in opposition to Gods king( Jesus)= 99% on earth. They stand there now and do not even know it.
Do you think Israel sent their own Messiah to his death because they knew he was Gods son=NO--Satan was misleading Gods chosen scholars and all who followed them,to do his will.
But what does it mean to enter into the gate by way of destruction?

The whole topic is speaking about entering into the kingdom of heaven, the few will enter into the kingdom via the straight gate all other will enter into the kingdom via destruction.

Your understanding of only a few people being saved, finding their way through the straight gate makes God an almost total failure and goes against his promise to Abe. like the sand of the sea shore, like the stars of the heavens. Now does that sound like a FEW to you?

Old 01-01-2018, 11:25 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Olam means “world, universe”...As in Olam HaBa, the world to come or Adon Olam, Master of the universe...

And Gehenna:

Only the very righteous go directly to Gan Eden. The average person descends to a place of punishment and/or purification, generally referred to as Gehinnom (guh-hee-NOHM) (in Yiddish, Gehenna), but sometimes as She'ol or by other names. According to one mystical view, every sin we commit creates an angel of destruction (a demon), and after we die we are punished by the very demons that we created. Some views see Gehinnom as one of severe punishment, a bit like the Christian Hell of fire and brimstone. Other sources merely see it as a time when we can see the actions of our lives objectively, see the harm that we have done and the opportunities we missed, and experience remorse for our actions. The period of time in Gehinnom does not exceed 12 months, and then ascends to take his place on Olam Ha-Ba.

Only the utterly wicked do not ascend at the end of this period; their souls are punished for the entire 12 months. Sources differ on what happens at the end of those 12 months: some say that the wicked soul is utterly destroyed and ceases to exist while others say that the soul continues to exist in a state of consciousness of remorse. - Judaism 101: Olam Ha-Ba: The Afterlife
Richard I did not say olam ha ba, I said olam, which is the equivalent of the Greek word aion and deals with an unkown amount of time.

If you look into this Richard I think you will see that this part was not a Jewish belief before Christianity. I could be wrong but I did read it once upon a time.

That is the way I see it

Old 01-01-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
But what does it mean to enter into the gate by way of destruction?

The whole topic is speaking about entering into the kingdom of heaven, the few will enter into the kingdom via the straight gate all other will enter into the kingdom via destruction.

Your understanding of only a few people being saved, finding their way through the straight gate makes God an almost total failure and goes against his promise to Abe. like the sand of the sea shore, like the stars of the heavens. Now does that sound like a FEW to you?
That was referring to Avraham's descendants...Not the entire human race...

Old 01-01-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Richard I did not say olam ha ba, I said olam, which is the equivalent of the Greek word aion and deals with an unkown amount of time.

If you look into this Richard I think you will see that this part was not a Jewish belief before Christianity. I could be wrong but I did read it once upon a time.

That is the way I see it
Olam mean "world, universe", not eternal or forever...Strong's is wrong...Ask a Jew what Olam means and not a Christian...I was giving you examples of how Olam is used...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity