Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 01:10 AM

436 posts, read 302,524 times

Advertisements

I'd appreciate just Christians respond as to not de-rail this thread. Christians meaning they believe in the entire bible, all books. Here are the verses.

IT reads "they are without excuse" so I understand that to mean God holds them accountable for their unbelief resulting in hell. Yet if God blinds them so they cannot see his invisible qualities of his divine nature, then they obviously have an excuse eh?? God just hasn't chosen them to be saved
Thanks!

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

2 Cor 4:4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 02:51 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
God requires people seek Him out by love of God and loving people so He can reveal Himself for a greater witness of truth , or God is very allusive ....................... Even the devil and demons will not show themselves for if they show themselves then this will prove God is real .................... Like some unbeliever or new converts could reject the Church of Jesus Christ and the people there , and never seem to find the true God , as the people of Christ have God and can lead people to find the true God .................... See the god of this world is the devil and demons who can talk through people who have not been cleansed of this menace spirits who reject God were people are familiar in rejecting God , like this blinded the mind of unbelievers

Old 01-04-2018, 04:38 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
I'd appreciate just Christians respond as to not de-rail this thread. Christians meaning they believe in the entire bible, all books. Here are the verses.

IT reads "they are without excuse" so I understand that to mean God holds them accountable for their unbelief resulting in hell. Yet if God blinds them so they cannot see his invisible qualities of his divine nature, then they obviously have an excuse eh?? God just hasn't chosen them to be saved
Thanks!
While I don't have a smooth and concise answer, I can, hopefully,
get my point across in a few clumsy statements

Quote:
Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

2 Cor 4:4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
I read this "god of this age" as Satan, since unbelief was rampant, at least in Corinth. In addition, Corinth was famous for its Temple where sex was, basically, worshiped.

Comparing to Romans chapter 1, look on down to verse 28, and you will see:
"28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a debased mind,"
I believe it is that being given over to a debased mind that is referred to in 2 Cor 4:4.

I also had this thought, in another thread, that may shed some light on the topic:
Quote:
Scripture is like a Light, shining in the darkness.

Some look to the Light and become Believers. Understanding of the Scriptures is given to them, and they can see in the Light.

Some turn and shield their eyes from the Light, finding it painfully bright. To them is given no understanding of the Scriptures, and they cannot even see that they have no understanding, because they have chosen darkness.

The difference is night and day.
The difference is Spiritual Death, or Spiritual Life.

(Oh, yes, and some of the ones who preach "love love love" in here, are attracted to a "reflection" of the true light. And yes, this parenthetical is deliberately enigmatic. Those who have an understanding will understand, and the curious will know where to ask. Those attracted to the "reflection" will think they have no need to understand.)

Old 01-04-2018, 06:18 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,866 times
not true, Jehovah God ,(Exo. 6:3), wants all to be save, (1Tim. 2:3,4 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour. Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth). he desires no one to be destroyed. but we have to change from being wicked. and his wickedness, doesn't just refer to the evil ones. ,(Ezek. 18:23 Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord GOD: and not that he should return from his ways, and live). we can do this by taking in accurate knowledge. many are truly trying to get close to Jesus... and his Father.

yet they don't have the total truth which can save us ,(Rom. 10:2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge). many misunderstood what Jesus had said here ,(Matt. 22:14 "For many are called, but few chosen"). to mean that God doesn't want all to worship him and be saved. not so, he and Jesus knew that satan will either turn many away from him. as well as keeping many from coming to him. we know this because satan before being kicked out of Heaven. insinuated to Jehovah God and Jesus, that he could turn faithful Job again God, he couldn't! ,(Job Chap.1).

but he has gotten hold to others, up to our day. satan doesn't want anyone to gain life, or worship the "one true God" as Jesus spoke of,(John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent). satan knows he will be destroyed, and he plan on taking as many humans as he can ,(Rev.12:12 and 1Pet. 5:8).

2Cor. 4:4, satan has fooled even some who say they are a Christian, why? because many believe this scripture was referring to ONLY a spiritual "unbeliever" ,wrong. it's referring to ANYONE, who ONLY believes what they choose from the scriptures. you ask for a "Christian" who believe in all of God's words. yet many seem refuse to believe that Jesus has someone over him, even though he had said this. Jesus said...("Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven",Matt. 7:21). yet a "believer", continues to say, "Jesus is the Father". this would mean he doesn't believe" what Jesus himself has said. which would place him in the category of an "unbeliever" also. peace

Old 01-04-2018, 08:42 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:

Thanks!

You have several good answers. In fact the translation you used above shows that view as "god" is not capitalized, thus indicating that it is not The God, but another "god" and in this case Satan as Jesus said.

NAS John 14:30 "I will not speak much more with you, for (a)the ruler of the world is coming, and he has nothing in Me;

KJG John 14:30 (1 )Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath (2 )nothing in me.

They knew he meant Satan as ....

KJV Matthew 9:34 But the Pharisees said, He casteth out devils through the prince of the devils.

NAS Matthew 9:34 But the Pharisees were saying, "He (a)casts out the demons by the ruler of the demons."

This view is consistent in scripture.

KJV Ephesians 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

NIV 1 John 5:19 We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.

Those who can't see are blinded by Satan and .... seem to like it that way.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:03 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
This is very simple. The Romans text refers to the knowledge of God that can be aquired by natural observation, seeing the earth and the universe to know he exists, is almighty, infinitly powerful and wise in creating all the living things. Add to this the law written in the hearts of all people.
The 2 Corinthians text refers to the Gospel, which is only revealed in the scriptures, and here Satan fights the spread of the Gospel, as in the parable of the sower.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:22 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Isnt referring to satan as 'the god of the modern world' a bit much?

After all, he is a just fallen angel, who was kicked out of heaven for basically trying to overthrow Gods throne. Suddenly putting him up on a pedestal, calling him 'a god' because of this is going too far imo.

Besides that, why would the real God allow satan to have this kind of power to begin with, its not power he had BEFORE he was kicked out of heaven, so Im not sure how he would gained it after he was rejected by God.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:29 AM

8,918 posts, read 4,652,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
This is very simple. The Romans text refers to the knowledge of God that can be aquired by natural observation, seeing the earth and the universe to know he exists, is almighty, infinitly powerful and wise in creating all the living things. Add to this the law written in the hearts of all people.
The 2 Corinthians text refers to the Gospel, which is only revealed in the scriptures, and here Satan fights the spread of the Gospel, as in the parable of the sower.
This is also true.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:32 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Thanks!
We ALL have the freedom to act responsibly toward God. The un-bellievers choose to un-believe even though God's qualities, God's attributes, are clearly seen in creation's wonders.

God does Not do the choosing, but puts the choosing in front of us as found at Deuteronomy 30:19 to choose life.
Thus, we can ALL use our free-will choices to do God's will or not.
Satan challenges ALL of us at Job 2:4-5 to touch our 'flesh' (loose physical health) and we would Not serve God.
Both Job and Jesus under adverse conditions proved Satan a liar, and so can we.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:43 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Isnt referring to satan as 'the god of the modern world' a bit much?
After all, he is a just fallen angel, who was kicked out of heaven for basically trying to overthrow Gods throne. Suddenly putting him up on a pedestal, calling him 'a god' because of this is going too far imo.
Besides that, why would the real God allow satan to have this kind of power to begin with, its not power he had BEFORE he was kicked out of heaven, so Im not sure how he would gained it after he was rejected by God.
Satan is the ' god ' of this world of badness as per 2nd Corinthians 4:4 because he brings ' woe ' to Earth as per Revelation 12:9,12 knowing he has a limited period of time to bring down with him as many of us as possible. Satan is like the behind-the-scenes puppeteer dangling people like puppets to do his will against the doing of God's righteous will. Such people are like the ones described at 2nd Timothy 3:1-5,13 who act selfish as Satan is.

Remember: Satan never, never challenged God's power or strength.
Rather, Satan challenges all of us as he did Job at Job 2:4-5. Allow our ' flesh ' (physical) to be touched and we would Not serve God under adverse conditions.
Both Job and Jesus proved Satan a liar by remaining faithful to God even under adverse conditions, and so can we.
So, what we have is a question of Sovereignty. Who can govern best? God or Satan.
We can all cast our vote, so to speak, for Jesus who is King of God's Kingdom government for a thousand years.
Then, at the end of Jesus' millennium-long day of governing over Earth, then Jesus will hand back God's Kingdom to his God. Then, at that time. even ' enemy death ' will be No more on Earth as per 1st Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8. Then ALL of Earth will be beautiful as described in the 35th chapter of Isaiah. There will be healing for earth's nations - Revelation 22:2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity