Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 08:36 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
i know, or i wouldn't be there my reason for saying that is because Jesus said "seek and you shall fine." contrary to what many believe, he wasn't referring to material things ,but spiritual. also Jehovah God knows our hearts,....
Then it's time to recognize who is the false teachers you're listening to since Jesus said he knows the hearts of people:
Matthew 9:4
Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, “Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts?

Mark 2:8
"Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, “Why are you thinking these things?"

therefore Jesus is Jehovah God for him to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 08:46 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo-50 View Post
i know, or i wouldn't be there my reason for saying that is because Jesus said "seek and you shall fine." contrary to what many believe, he wasn't referring to material things ,but spiritual. also Jehovah God knows our hearts, even if we refuse to acknowledge him, and he knows if we're truly seeking. along with prayer for guidance in which way to walk and where to go. he wouldn't lead an honest seeker astray. though satan will lead one astray if he really isn't seeking because of selfishness ,(Matthew 16:24). and loving the world more,(James 4:4).

also I'm not about any religious organization per se. meaning i wouldn't join any religion if the teachings didn't coincide with Jehovah God's words. and i wouldn't care who i knew were there ,how popular it is, or if it's the norm. i don't want to hear what man has to say if it doesn't agree with the bible. and if one tries to convince me just because one believe it's right, that could cause me to lose my life, if i allow it. (Pro. 16:25 There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death). but thanks for your advice
Aren't you awaiting Jehovah's instructions via the Watchtower? I've ran into several active witnesses online that swear shunning isn't a thing despite all of the evidence to the contrary. Are you also under the impression that you are not following an organization? (be it God directed or not God directed it is still an organization)

Old 02-15-2018, 09:00 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's right. I was insulted by a comparison that should have never been made. I'm certainly not pretending I wasn't.

Well, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this point.

I wouldn't know about that. I have never run into anybody who has decided there is no gravity. That is a provable fact. A person's beliefs are nothing more than their beliefs.

Whatever.

I disagree. If I don't believe something, I'll say so. I won't beat around the bush just to be nice. On the other hand, I am able to recognize that unless there is indisputable proof that what I believe is right, I'm simply not comfortable condemning people who believe differently -- i.e. deciding that I'm in any kind of a position to know whether they're going to Hell or not. I find that attitude to be extremely presumptuous.
As unbelievable as it seems Katz, there are people, hopefully not too many, who deny that gravity exists. I got into a discussion with just such a person on the Current Events forum on the thread //www.city-data.com/forum/curre...ference-6.html

In post #50 the person makes the following statement. ''Gravity is an unproven theory...it has not ever been proven by scientific method.'' I reply to him in post #59 and the discussion continues about that and a few other scientific topics for a few posts after that with my last post being #156 which I just now posted. It's hard to believe that some people can be so ignorant, but somehow they manage it.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:54 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
As unbelievable as it seems Katz, there are people, hopefully not too many, who deny that gravity exists. I got into a discussion with just such a person on the Current Events forum on the thread //www.city-data.com/forum/curre...ference-6.html

In post #50 the person makes the following statement. ''Gravity is an unproven theory...it has not ever been proven by scientific method.'' I reply to him in post #59 and the discussion continues about that and a few other scientific topics for a few posts after that with my last post being #156 which I just now posted. It's hard to believe that some people can be so ignorant, but somehow they manage it.
Okay, well apparently I was wrong. I still contend that it's ludicrous to try to compare proving God's existence to proving the existence of gravity. And my whole point was that no matter how convinced I am that what I believe about God is true, I can't prove those beliefs to anyone else. On the other hand, no matter how convinced anybody here is that what they believe about God is true, they can't prove those beliefs to anyone else, either. The Bible provides scriptures that can be used to support pretty much any position a person wants to take on any given doctrine. For that reason, people who are so adamant that they could not conceivably be wrong about what they believe simply have to disregard the passages that don't support their position.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:26 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, well apparently I was wrong. I still contend that it's ludicrous to try to compare proving God's existence to proving the existence of gravity. And my whole point was that no matter how convinced I am that what I believe about God is true, I can't prove those beliefs to anyone else. On the other hand, no matter how convinced anybody here is that what they believe about God is true, they can't prove those beliefs to anyone else, either. The Bible provides scriptures that can be used to support pretty much any position a person wants to take on any given doctrine. For that reason, people who are so adamant that they could not conceivably be wrong about what they believe simply have to disregard the passages that don't support their position.
I agree that it's ludicrous to compare God's existence with the existence of gravity. The existence of God cannot be proven scientifically. The only evidence, and I say evidence rather than proof, for the existence of God is historical evidence in which God has interacted with man in human history. And that means that a person has to decide whether he trusts the historical and theological documents of those who claim to have been eyewitnesses of, or have interviewed eyewitnesses to God's interaction. For example, the apostles who were eyewitnesses of Jesus' life, crucifixion and resurrection.

So far as being able to take any position on any given doctrine, I believe that is true when a person cherry picks certain passages while ignoring everything that the Bible says about a particular subject. For instance, I can show, and have shown in the past, eternal security passages in the New Testament which simply refute the idea that a believer can lose his salvation. But the people who think that salvation can be lost simply refuse to acknowledge or try to understand those passages and instead just repeat the same passages which they think say that salvation can be lost and won't even entertain the idea that just maybe those passages are referring to something else. Having said that, there are some things which are ambiguous and should not be dogmatically asserted.

At any rate, I just wanted to point out that some people, again hopefully not many, do deny the existence of gravity, because I think that is really dumb.

Old 02-15-2018, 12:01 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Salvation is a work of God. More than that, salvation is solely a work of God. Assurance of salvation is possible only if salvation is a work of God alone. If salvation depended upon man’s ability, assurance of salvation would require answering two questions:

What works are necessary to meet God’s approval for righteousness?

How many works are necessary?

No one can answer the above questions. We have no information that will answer them. Therefore, assurance of salvation is impossible if salvation depends in any part on a person’s works or good deeds. However, if salvation depends on the work of God, one can have assurance of salvation.

The Scriptures make it clear it is impossible for man to gain the approval of God and attain His righteousness by doing good works. Isaiah wrote, “For all of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment” (Isaiah 64.6). This is the Old Testament witness of man’s righteousness before God. Paul summed up the problem when he wrote, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3.23). Only one righteous man has ever lived–Jesus Christ. Only His works satisfied God. The proof of Jesus’ righteousness and the approval of His work on the cross for our sins was His resurrection from the dead (Romans 1.4). Because of Jesus’ death on the cross and his resurrection we can have assurance of salvation (1 Corinthians 15.1-4).

Old 02-15-2018, 02:50 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Salvation is a work of God. More than that, salvation is solely a work of God. Assurance of salvation is possible only if salvation is a work of God alone. If salvation depended upon man’s ability, assurance of salvation would require answering two questions:

What works are necessary to meet God’s approval for righteousness?

How many works are necessary?

No one can answer the above questions. We have no information that will answer them. Therefore, assurance of salvation is impossible if salvation depends in any part on a person’s works or good deeds. However, if salvation depends on the work of God, one can have assurance of salvation.

The Scriptures make it clear it is impossible for man to gain the approval of God and attain His righteousness by doing good works. Isaiah wrote, “For all of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment” (Isaiah 64.6). This is the Old Testament witness of man’s righteousness before God. Paul summed up the problem when he wrote, “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3.23). Only one righteous man has ever lived–Jesus Christ. Only His works satisfied God. The proof of Jesus’ righteousness and the approval of His work on the cross for our sins was His resurrection from the dead (Romans 1.4). Because of Jesus’ death on the cross and his resurrection we can have assurance of salvation (1 Corinthians 15.1-4).
Again, what "works"did the thief on the cross do?

Old 02-15-2018, 03:40 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And hasn't that been answered multiple times .... or has that been drowned out from all the shouting of the liberal doctrine go to mantra: BIGOTRY \ HATER \ Fascist ?

Last edited by twin.spin; 02-15-2018 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-15-2018, 07:13 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Actually, that's an impossible question to answer. For all we know, he may have been another Jean Valjean, who stole a loaf of bread to feed a hungry child. (I'm always amazed at how frequently questions -- not to mention conclusions -- arise about him, when we really know next to nothing about him.)

Old 02-15-2018, 08:24 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:

Thief on the cross did zero works............the post is NOT advocating works for salvation in any way.........faith alone in Jesus alone saves eternally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity