Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 07:18 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Most liberals find sincere Christian beliefs to be repellent ... we get it.
Christian beliefs are not based on any one's political (liberal/conservative) ideology or stance.
However, you (and others) do come across as "warmongers" with the objective of condemning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 08:19 AM

1,146 posts, read 651,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, I think the world we have become is one where most of the peers of a 99-year-old are dead and so are a lot of the people who heard him preach in his heyday.
On June 21, 1971 TIME Magazine published the image of Jesus on its cover. Text appearing over the image proclaimed, "The Jesus Revolution". The article within documented its effect on the nation. The magazine chronicled the last national revival, which swept across America from approximately 1968 to the mid '70s.

There has not been one since.

History records that every generation of Americans experienced a national revival. In fact, certain areas of the country were so heavily affected by it that the revival spirit did not leave for years. The Bible belt is one such area as well as western New York State between Albany and Buffalo once called the burnt over district because revival swept back and forth for many years.

In 1968 a paradigm shift swept over the world. Political events coupled with massive spiritual changes affected the next fifty years in dramatic fashion. In the words of a New York Times journalist, "it was one g-d thing after another." The Jesus revival was one of those factors that changed the lives of a generation.

But that revival was the last one......

There has not been one since...

"Where there is no vision, the people perish...." Proverbs 29:18a

And so we as a nation have lurched into the first quarter of the twenty-first century - a nation with no vision, no purpose, no effective leadership, constant war without purpose or meaning constantly expressing empty epithets and appeals to heaven for blessings that do not arrive.

God is not blessing America because "the father son and holy ghost caught the last train for the coast"

My hands were clenched in fists of rage
No angel born in Hell
Could break that Satan's spell
And as the flames climbed high into the night
To light the sacrificial rite
I saw Satan laughing with delight
The day the music died

- Don McLean AMERICAN PIE

Beware America - something wicked this way comes......

Repent while there is still a little time.

We have called down the wrath of the community of nations upon us and there is no god to save us from our foolishness and our pride.
There is no god to protect us because we've told Him to hit the road and leave us alone to live our lives as we choose.

And so He has.....

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Last edited by Choir Loft; 02-23-2018 at 08:29 AM..

Old 02-23-2018, 11:23 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,715,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
On June 21, 1971 TIME Magazine published the image of Jesus on its cover. Text appearing over the image proclaimed, "The Jesus Revolution". The article within documented its effect on the nation. The magazine chronicled the last national revival, which swept across America from approximately 1968 to the mid '70s.

History records that every generation of Americans experienced a national revival. In fact, certain areas of the country were so heavily affected by it that the revival spirit did not leave for years. The Bible belt is one such area as well as western New York State between Albany and Buffalo once called the burnt over district because revival swept back and forth for many years.

In 1968 a paradigm shift swept over the world. Political events coupled with massive spiritual changes affected the next fifty years in dramatic fashion. In the words of a New York Times journalist, "it was one g-d thing after another." The Jesus revival was one of those factors that changed the lives of a generation.

And so we as a nation have lurched into the first quarter of the twenty-first century - a nation with no vision, no purpose, no effective leadership, constant war without purpose or meaning constantly expressing empty epithets and appeals to heaven for blessings that do not arrive.

God is not blessing America because "the father son and holy ghost caught the last train for the coast"

No angel born in Hell
The day the music died

We have called down the wrath of the community of nations upon us and there is no god to save us from our foolishness and our pride.
There is no god to protect us because we've told Him to hit the road and leave us alone to live our lives as we choose.

And so He has.....

Wow, what a truly timely post. I believe you have spoken very truthfully here and that the only thing left for America is a certain terrible judgement - that is why I have been grief-stricken for the past year. I am weeping for my children and grandchildren and the earthly future they are left with which is full of chaos, confusion, hatred, love of violence and every kind of evil thing coming upon us both from WITHIN, AND WITHOUT, from all the nations we have been bullying, stealing from, abusing, and mowing down since Vietnam (or before). I have begun to question ever war we have ever fought on foreign soil. They are all coming to whip America's ass and we will not be ready - because our government is hollowed out now with a type of cult following. Many are trusting in the current President to save them because he is a big boaster of how great we are, but we are not great, we are weak and very compromised and, as you said, hated by the world. The rules of true democracy and decency have long ago been thrown out the window and Satan is in charge of the power that rules us. I don't understand how anyone can be very happy at this time, quite honestly because, while I am not afraid of death, there are fates worse than death and I do fear suffering (as did Jesus when he went to the cross).

Luke Chapter 23
v. 26 As† they led him away, they seized Simon, a Cyrenian,† who was coming in from the country, and laid the cross† on him to carry behind Jesus. 27 A large crowd of people followed him, including women who were mourning and lamenting him.† 28 But turning to them, Jesus said, “Daughters of Jerusalem,† do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and your children. 29 Look, the days are coming† when they will say, ‘Blessed are the women without children, the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never nursed! ’† 30 Then they will begin to say to the mountains, ‘Fall on us! ’ and to the hills, ‘Cover us! ’†† 31 For if they do these things when the wood is green, what will happen when it is dry? ”†

The Way to the Cross ( in the DRY season) (We are in the DRY season spoken of by our Lord, not the GREEN which was when Jesus was crucified)

Jesus showed us the way, he was deeply troubled in the garden of Gethsemane --- He never promised the way was easy, he showed us we must go through the valley of death.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:14 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,626,894 times
Billy Graham died alone. None of his children were at his side. He was an absentee father. I do not consider him a great man.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:47 AM

1,146 posts, read 651,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Wow, what a truly timely post. I believe you have spoken very truthfully here and that the only thing left for America is a certain terrible judgement - that is why I have been grief-stricken for the past year. I am weeping for my children and grandchildren and the earthly future they are left with which is full of chaos, confusion, hatred, love of violence and every kind of evil thing coming upon us both from WITHIN, AND WITHOUT, from all the nations we have been bullying, stealing from, abusing, and mowing down since Vietnam (or before). I have begun to question ever war we have ever fought on foreign soil. They are all coming to whip America's ass and we will not be ready - because our government is hollowed out now with a type of cult following. Many are trusting in the current President to save them because he is a big boaster of how great we are, but we are not great, we are weak and very compromised and, as you said, hated by the world. The rules of true democracy and decency have long ago been thrown out the window and Satan is in charge of the power that rules us. I don't understand how anyone can be very happy at this time, quite honestly because, while I am not afraid of death, there are fates worse than death and I do fear suffering (as did Jesus when he went to the cross).

Luke Chapter 23
v. 26 As† they led him away, they seized Simon, a Cyrenian,† who was coming in from the country, and laid the cross† on him to carry behind Jesus. 27 A large crowd of people followed him, including women who were mourning and lamenting him.† 28 But turning to them, Jesus said, “Daughters of Jerusalem,† do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and your children. 29 Look, the days are coming† when they will say, ‘Blessed are the women without children, the wombs that never bore, and the breasts that never nursed! ’† 30 Then they will begin to say to the mountains, ‘Fall on us! ’ and to the hills, ‘Cover us! ’†† 31 For if they do these things when the wood is green, what will happen when it is dry? ”†

The Way to the Cross ( in the DRY season) (We are in the DRY season spoken of by our Lord, not the GREEN which was when Jesus was crucified)

Jesus showed us the way, he was deeply troubled in the garden of Gethsemane --- He never promised the way was easy, he showed us we must go through the valley of death.
Many cry out that God will judge us, but it is we who have judged ourselves as being too big to fall. We have become so proud of our own ways that we refuse to humble ourselves before the throne of grace. We see more in ourselves than is justified. In our wickedness we've denied the same divine providence that granted liberty upon our shores in the first place.

"Americans don't know what is happening to them." - Pravda

Citizens of every other nation know what America has become. All hate us in one degree or another. Europe has turned away from American leadership and is struggling with their issues without us. The middle east has its hooks in our nose and whether we understand it or not will dictate our lives for the foreseeable future. The BRIC nations (Brazil, Russia, India & China) are forging the foundation of a new global financial system (Europe is joining it slowly but certainly), which is rapidly overtaking the American petroleum-dollar. This new financial system will determine what we will eventually pay for our goods and services - not the dollar. We are losing our financial sovereignty and most don't even realize it. It is the throne of heaven that provides a good life, not the Federal Reserve Bank.

The wealth of persons and nations depends upon what is produced, not its level of debt. A true measure of financial worth is the number of Americans who are working NOT how much we spend at the mall. News media, all owned by major corporations, are quick to focus on holiday spending, but never examines unemployment statistics with the same attention to detail.

While America struggles to maintain a huge obsolete and unnecessary military, other nations are feverishly working to build their financial infrastructure. Google China's massive Road & Belt project. The world has seen nothing like it since Americans settled the west.

Contrary to the words of fear mongers the dollar will not crash suddenly. It will dissolve slowly, being diluted over time by ever increasing debt and refusal by everyone from the White House to the ghetto projects to live according to financial responsibility. To live without the assistance of divine providence.

Judgment is already upon us because we have refused the protection of the Almighty. America has passed the tipping point and will never return to the glories and liberties of its past. Trump's promises notwithstanding, America will never be great again. We lurch from one crisis to another becoming weaker as each one passes - and there is no help from God because we don't want it. Fools are wise in their own eyes and America has become a nation of fools. It seems every day the news media broadcasts yet another example of US governmental stupidity to the whole world.

It is a popular proverb among leadership that if one wants to go crazy he should move to Washington DC where it will not be noticed.

Although Billy Graham had little to do with economic and political changes, he did reflect the way Americans saw themselves in relation to God. Graham's death marks the end of an era and although God is not dead Americans seem to wish He was. The Roman Empire tried to kill Him once. It didn't work then and it won't work now.

The nation that denies God will pass away. America is already dying. Indeed the America that Graham preached to no longer exists.

Last edited by Choir Loft; 02-25-2018 at 08:12 AM..

Old 02-25-2018, 08:11 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,715,186 times
Quote:
Many cry out that God will judge us, but it is us who have judged ourselves as being too big to fall. We have become so proud of our own ways that we refuse to humble ourselves before the throne of grace. We see more in ourselves than is justified. In our wickedness we've denied the same divine providence that granted liberty upon our shores in the first place.

"Americans don't know what is happening to them." - Pravda

Citizens of every other nation know what America has become. All hate us in one degree or another. Europe has turned away from American leadership and is struggling with their issues without us. The middle east has its hooks in our nose and whether we understand it or not will dictate our lives for the foreseeable future. The BRIC nations (Brazil, Russia, India & China) are forging the foundation of a new global financial system (Europe is joining it slowly but certainly), which is rapidly overtaking the American petroleum-dollar. This new financial system will determine what we will eventually pay for our goods and services - not the dollar. We are losing our financial sovereignty and most don't even realize it. It is the throne of heaven that provides a good life, not the Federal Reserve Bank.

The wealth of persons and nations depends upon what is produced, not its level of debt. A true measure of financial worth is the number of Americans working or not working NOT the industrial averages of the stock market (which is actually legalized gambling for the rich and powerful, not a measure of actual worth).

While America struggles to maintain a huge obsolete and unnecessary military, other nations are feverishly working to build their financial infrastructure. Google China's massive Road & Belt project. The world has seen nothing like it since Americans settled the west.

Contrary to the words of fear mongers the dollar will not crash suddenly. It will dissolve slowly, being diluted over time by ever increasing debt and refusal by everyone from the White House to the ghetto projects to live according to financial responsibility. To live without the assistance of divine providence.

Judgment is already upon us because we have refused the protection of the Almighty. America has passed the tipping point and will never return to the glories and liberties of its past. Trump's promises notwithstanding, America will never be great again. We lurch from one crisis to another becoming weaker as each one passes - and there is no help from God because we don't want it. Fools are wise in their own eyes and America has become a nation of fools. It seems every day the news media broadcasts yet another example of US governmental stupidity to the whole world.

It is a popular proverb among leadership that if one wants to go crazyhe should move to Washington DC where it will not be noticed.

Although Billy Graham had little to do with economic and political changes, he did reflect the way Americans saw themselves in relation to God. Graham's death marks the end of an era and although God is not dead Americans seem to wish He was. The Roman Empire tried to kill Him once. It didn't work then and it won't work now.

The nation that denies God will pass away. America is already dying. Indeed the America that Graham preached to no longer exists.

Good points, all. I agree with you, America is on it's way to being either a third world nation, or (I do not rule out) obliterated by her enemies because we are not the only ones with a military or nuclear power. All our enemies need do is, via hacking, shut down our grid when we have left no watchman at the switch and that seems to be happening more and more everyday and spending for important things is cut by fools who do not understand what they are doing. And yes, we (as a society) have brought this upon ourselves, not only by having idols of money, fame, and perceived "exceptionalism" <-- that term often used by pundits to describe America and it always reminds me of Hitler, but we also are guilty of attacking other nations without a cause and killing hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions of innocent people without a cause. For those who still deal in reality, we know that there were no weapons of mass destruction found in Iraq, yet we still have troops in Baghdad to this day. One American soldier just died on Friday, a 26 year old woman --- in Baghdad! Why is our Empire still there and in a thousand other places we have no business being. It's called EMPIRE. The EMPIRE'S demise will not make the corporate news.

Not surprisingly, I noted late last night that my thread on Idolatry was shut down. Can't talk about our Idolatry in here - it is just too painful to allow, I reckon.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:02 PM

1,149 posts, read 937,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I used to go to a Catholic bookstore attached to St. Peter's Church in lower Manhattan on occasion with a Catholic friend. They had some interesting books and sold nice cards and gifts.

I was surprised to see a shelf there with Billy Graham's books, but I later learned that he would tell people at his crusades that if they were Catholic, to go speak with their priest, and not try to persuade people that his denomination was the "right" one. He earned the respect of the RCC for that.
And he got the same respect from Cardinal Timothy Dolan:

"As anyone growing up in the 1950’s and 1960’s can tell you, it was hard not to notice and be impressed by the Reverend Billy Graham. There was no question that the Dolans were a Catholic family, firm in our faith, but in our household there was always respect and admiration for Billy Graham and the work he was doing to bring people to God. Whether it was one of his famous Crusades, radio programs, television specials, or meeting and counseling the presidents, Billy Graham seemed to be everywhere, always with the same message: Jesus is your Savior, and wants you to be happy with Him forever. As an historian, my admiration for him only grew as I studied our nation’s religious past, and came to appreciate even more the tremendous role he played in the American evangelical movement. May the Lord that Billy Graham loved so passionately now grant him eternal rest."

Old 02-26-2018, 04:29 PM

88,734 posts, read 85,080,510 times
I attended the 25th anniversary mass at St. Peter's RCC Church in lower Manhattan today for the people who died in the 1993 WTC bombing.

The priest quoted Billy Graham.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:58 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,994,050 times
Quote:

No angel born in Hell
The day the music died

And so He has.....

You left out the growth of Charismatic churches and this has been especially seen through out the USA. Most of he biggest names of church leaders these days are Charismatic ones. The growth of Charismatic churches is also seen as a revival.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:05 AM

45,706 posts, read 27,317,064 times
In case you are interested... services aired live here.

C-SPAN: Reverend Billy Graham Funeral Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity