Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:16 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,370,574 times

Advertisements

Billy Graham was one of the brightest lights in my life. He welcomed all believers in Christ no matter their denomination and fought very hard to bring others to that simple realization.

May God welcome you home to a very well deserved peace and rest away from all the pain of this world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 04:08 PM

16,689 posts, read 15,693,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I love that quote and deeply admired and will miss Billy Graham! Below is my post from another thread, that should probably have been on the 'Christianity' forum:

Billy Graham was undoubtedly one of the truly great men of our times; ... and most importantly a faithful Christian servant of the Living God. He was a 'national treasure' and this world and America have lost a true champion who "let his light shine" in a dark world, like few others (ie; Mother Theresa, John Wesley, Martin Luther, and others.)

I have no intention of drawing away from that, but, perhaps, a reflection of our times is the divisive reporting of even the death of this amazing man of God, who held-up Godly, Christian principles throughout his earthly life.

Correct me if I've missed something, but, after intentionally checking to see how the different networks were handling Billy's death, I've seen a reflective trend. The biased, liberal networks (CNN, NBC, CBS) have barely mentioned his passing! --Meanwhile, FOX News has already run 2-3 specials on the life of Billy Graham. That says a great deal to me about the things they and their audiences value or consider important.
Your "biased liberal" networks have all got stories about Billy Graham on their web sites. The one on CNN was quite long. (I didn't have a bit of trouble find them.)

Old 02-21-2018, 05:06 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,877,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Billy Graham was one of the brightest lights in my life. He welcomed all believers in Christ no matter their denomination and fought very hard to bring others to that simple realization.

May God welcome you home to a very well deserved peace and rest away from all the pain of this world.
He seemed like a nice person, but your opinion on him exactly what I disliked about him. His whole focus was on Belief. He made it sound as if that's all a person needs to do, be a Believer. As if that was the only really important common element in all denominations.

Nothing in his message about love or practice of the faith.

I'm sorry, but that is everything that is wrong with religious fundamentalism. If you were to filter it down to it's worst aspect, it is exactly this attitude towards Belief. It's not even biblical in my opinion.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:27 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,334,333 times
He was a man of both passion and sincerity who loved his Lord and Savior and his fellow person. may he rest in the peace of Christ and may whatever good he did in thought, word, and deed be an inspiration to all to love, forgive, and serve their neighbor for love of God----and most especially a source of healing and consolation to his family, friends, and followers.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:58 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,711,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
He seemed like a nice person, but your opinion on him exactly what I disliked about him. His whole focus was on Belief. He made it sound as if that's all a person needs to do, be a Believer. As if that was the only really important common element in all denominations.

I'm sorry, but that is everything that is wrong with religious fundamentalism. If you were to filter it down to it's worst aspect, it is exactly this attitude towards Belief. It's not even biblical in my opinion.
I think you really put your finger on it -- he was the 'Father' of the "make a decision for God" movement. If I recall correctly, either the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association or the First Baptist Church of Dallas (which he had close ties with) had a magazine called 'DECISION'.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...al-home-dallas

https://billygraham.org/decision-magazine/

I really do think the Baptist Evangelicals have done more damage to the image and message of Christ than anything else I could name. If America is such a Christian nation, why are the Evangelicals in favor of having an Lawless, Strongman Oligarchy that is cutting everything in sight to bring destruction upon the earth - cuts to science, cuts to renewable energy, cuts to carrying out any action toward our impending climate change that is a threat to all life on the earth. And why do they insist on spending ever more and more money on the military machine. If we are a great Christian nation, why are we destroying the planet and turning away all the poor and the refugees fleeing from war, drought, and famine? This side of Christianity is all a big lie, a facade of the true Christ and his body, known to him who does not need to be admired or have flowery speech when they pass away. People idolized Billy Graham and in case you don't know, idolatry of humans is against the ten commandments of God.

And as for Graham, if he did not speak out against our current president, he was certainly no spiritual giant.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:23 PM

33,281 posts, read 26,487,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

That simply isn't true and this sermon of Billy Graham is proof that your claim is false. And don't even think about replying to me without first listening to the entire sermon.

How To Live The Christian Life-Billy Graham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGws5RhjOlM

Old 02-21-2018, 09:32 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,988,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I think you really put your finger on it -- he was the 'Father' of the "make a decision for God" movement. If I recall correctly, either the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association or the First Baptist Church of Dallas (which he had close ties with) had a magazine called 'DECISION'.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/c...al-home-dallas

https://billygraham.org/decision-magazine/

I really do think the Baptist Evangelicals have done more damage to the image and message of Christ than anything else I could name. If America is such a Christian nation, why are the Evangelicals in favor of having an Lawless, Strongman Oligarchy that is cutting everything in sight to bring destruction upon the earth - cuts to science, cuts to renewable energy, cuts to carrying out any action toward our impending climate change that is a threat to all life on the earth. And why do they insist on spending ever more and more money on the military machine. If we are a great Christian nation, why are we destroying the planet and turning away all the poor and the refugees fleeing from war, drought, and famine? This side of Christianity is all a big lie, a facade of the true Christ and his body, known to him who does not need to be admired or have flowery speech when they pass away. People idolized Billy Graham and in case you don't know, idolatry of humans is against the ten commandments of God.

And as for Graham, if he did not speak out against our current president, he was certainly no spiritual giant.
Actually Billy Graham was quite ill the last few years and was in retirement. During the 2016 election he refrained from making political statements and was silent in it, yet his son Franklin Graham did so. He did not even meet Obama at the White House due to his ill health, but Obama did visit him at his house. Billy Graham last message to America was well before the current POTUS.

He had relationships with all the Presidents from Truman up till George W Bush. However he avoided making strong political views throughout his career unlike his son Franklin Graham. Billy Graham believed that making strong political statements like Jerry Fawell and Pat Roberson would bring divisions. He stated he only wanted to concentrate on the gospel.

Even so Billy Graham has his flaws and we all do as after all no one is perfect in this world.

Last edited by other99; 02-21-2018 at 09:42 PM..

Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,594,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Long time evangelist Billy Graham has died in his home. RIP Billy Graham
RIP (Rejoicing In Paradise) my brother Billy Graham I had the pleasure of seeing you live in Sacramento California I love you looking forward to seeing you in Heaven.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:48 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,877,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That simply isn't true and this sermon of Billy Graham is proof that your claim is false. And don't even think about replying to me without first listening to the entire sermon.

How To Live The Christian Life-Billy Graham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGws5RhjOlM
I will listen to it, but it's clear that this is a very early video. I listened to some of his messages yesterday from the 1970's to 1990's and they were completely lacking in any kind of spirituality. So if he drifted from this early kind of message (which I will assume is how you are presenting it) then even this video doesn't matter.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:20 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,676,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Actually Billy Graham was quite ill the last few years and was in retirement. During the 2016 election he refrained from making political statements and was silent in it, yet his son Franklin Graham did so. He did not even meet Obama at the White House due to his ill health, but Obama did visit him at his house. Billy Graham last message to America was well before the current POTUS.
Actually Graham (who was a Democrat) is well known for refraining from commenting on politics through out his life, which is a great thing. He was one of the few truly non-partisan mega pastors in our country, and was happy to pray with presidents from both parties starring from Truman, and ending with Obama. I always thought it is best to stick to preaching the Gospel, and leaving divisive politics out of it. A pastor should try to reach people from all sides regardless of political views.

He will be missed by Christians from both sides of the political aisle.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/21/us/bi...bit/index.html

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-22-2018 at 05:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity