Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 12:07 PM

45,647 posts, read 27,268,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
so it seems obvious that you also would like to expedite your release from that earthly body and join the reverend??
Something's wrong with you...

There will be no further response from me here on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 01:26 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,713,256 times
He had a lot of fans. I think he was nicer than the neo-evangelicals, but I was never really deeply touched by listening to him. I think he was good at reminding people of impending death, and that's not a bad thing.

The thing I did not like about him is that he (and those of his ilk) are known for mixing religion with politics and pulling America to the far right. In other words, he had a hand in polarizing America, dividing it. I also think people like Graham made it okay to turn preaching the gospel into a type of "Rock Show" with various STARS, for lack of a better term. God knows that large amounts of money generated by fame can certainly corrupt a person. I don't really know what his net worth was. I think he was a better man than his son.

Goodbye to the White House whisperer. I guess the G.O.P. has lost it's spiritual advisor.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:42 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
A real Christian is a person who can give his pet parrot to the town gossip.” - Billy Graham

Sad news today informs us that Billy Graham, an American evangelist who served the world for four decades, has died at the age of 99.

For most of my life his unique speaking style broadcast the message of God’s plan of redemption to America and the global community. Graham was a very visible and special part of the culture of America in the last half of the twentieth century. Everyone knew who he was and what America was all about.

That was then and this is now.

America today has changed so radically it's literally a different country - virtually unrecognizable from the culture and nation that existed in the days of Graham’s mass crusades and public gospel preaching.

An incident I experienced today places current American culture in perfect perspective.

I went to our local grocery store to purchase a few items. When I went through the check out counter I told the people working there that Billy Graham had died. Their answer was surprising to me, but completely in line with the nation we have become.

Who’s Billy Graham?” they asked.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
Well, I think the world we have become is one where most of the peers of a 99-year-old are dead and so are a lot of the people who heard him preach in his heyday.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:46 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,433,845 times
Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God." ~ Billy Graham

Homecoming.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:49 PM

33,316 posts, read 26,518,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Someday you will read or hear that Billy Graham is dead. Don’t you believe a word of it. I shall be more alive than I am now. I will just have changed my address. I will have gone into the presence of God." ~ Billy Graham

Homecoming.
Nice quote. And so true.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:54 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,853,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post

Homecoming.
I love that quote and deeply admired and will miss Billy Graham! Below is my post from another thread, that should probably have been on the 'Christianity' forum:

Billy Graham was undoubtedly one of the truly great men of our times; ... and most importantly a faithful Christian servant of the Living God. He was a 'national treasure' and this world and America have lost a true champion who "let his light shine" in a dark world, like few others (ie; Mother Theresa, John Wesley, Martin Luther, and others.)

I have no intention of drawing away from that, but, perhaps, a reflection of our times is the divisive reporting of even the death of this amazing man of God, who held-up Godly, Christian principles throughout his earthly life.

Correct me if I've missed something, but, after intentionally checking to see how the different networks were handling Billy's death, I've seen a reflective trend. The biased, liberal networks (CNN, NBC, CBS) have barely mentioned his passing! --Meanwhile, FOX News has already run 2-3 specials on the life of Billy Graham. That says a great deal to me about the things they and their audiences value or consider important.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:00 PM

795 posts, read 1,011,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Long time evangelist Billy Graham has died in his home. RIP Billy Graham
I'm not a terribly religious person, but the times I watched one of his crusades I found his message very moving and inspirational.

RIP Billy Graham

Old 02-21-2018, 02:42 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,838,195 times
Seems like a decent man. RIP Mr. Graham.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:43 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,426,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
He had a lot of fans. I think he was nicer than the neo-evangelicals, but I was never really deeply touched by listening to him. I think he was good at reminding people of impending death, and that's not a bad thing.

The thing I did not like about him is that he (and those of his ilk) are known for mixing religion with politics and pulling America to the far right. In other words, he had a hand in polarizing America, dividing it. I also think people like Graham made it okay to turn preaching the gospel into a type of "Rock Show" with various STARS, for lack of a better term. God knows that large amounts of money generated by fame can certainly corrupt a person. I don't really know what his net worth was. I think he was a better man than his son.

Goodbye to the White House whisperer. I guess the G.O.P. has lost it's spiritual advisor.
In other words working with the Ruler of this world, Satan.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:54 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,507,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post

Typical tactic of a loving liberal ... demonize conservative \ evangelical Christians to goad them in being defensive while you swim in your own hypocrisy of bigotry hate and illogical views.

I suppose a memorial like liberals had for Paul Wellstone would be more to your liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity