Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 08:43 PM

1,183 posts, read 542,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Ok, answer me this, Why would the man Christ Jesus(1 Tim 2:5) call "God" is Father ? . And this ..... When Jesus said if you have seen me you have seen the Father, seen what ?
Faith study Bible:

Alludes to the Jewish prayer called the Shema (see Deut 6:4 and note; compare 1 Cor 8:6 and note). Paul draws on this prayer to highlight God’s universal reign; because there is only one God, He is the God of all people (1 Tim 2:3–4).
The Shema affirms the uniqueness of God over and against other gods—those worshiped by Israel’s neighbors. The false teachers may have used this prayer as an excuse to exclude people from the gospel. God desires all people to be saved, and He is the only one who can save (Acts 4:12).
“The Lord is One”: All and Only S:SLJ
Shema JPSGJT
Monotheism EDB
mediator A person who negotiates reconciliation between two parties in conflict. The need for a mediator testifies to the sinfulness of humanity, while the provision of a mediator demonstrates the kindness of God.
Mediator EDBT
Mediator DDD
the man Christ Jesus Paul refers to Jesus as a “man” here to stress His full identification with humanity. Because He was fully human, Christ was able to mediate on behalf of humanity and offer Himself as a ransom for humanity. Jesus’ role in this passage recalls Paul’s description of Jesus as a second Adam (e.g., Rom 5:12–21; 1 Cor 15:45–49).

John Darby

For there is one God
This does not so much regard the unity of God, with respect to himself, or his divine essence, though that is a truth; but does not carry in it any apparent and forcible reason why all men should be prayed for, for which it is produced; but the unity of God with respect to men, as that there is but one God, who is the Creator of all men, and who, in a providential way, is the Saviour of all men; and in a way of special grace is the one God, the one covenant God of all sorts of men, of Jews and Gentiles; for he has taken of the latter into the covenant of his grace, as well as the former, and has loved them with a special and distinguishing love, has chosen them in Christ to salvation, and has sent his Son to redeem them; and of these he calls by his grace, regenerates, sanctifies, adopts, pardons, and justifies; see ( Romans 3:29 Romans 3:30 ) and therefore all sorts of men, Gentiles as well as Jews, are to be prayed for: another argument follows,

and one Mediator between God and men;
a Mediator is of more than one, and has to do with two parties; and these at variance among themselves, between whom he stands as a middle person; his business is to bring them together, and make peace between them; and such an one is Christ: the two parties are God and his elect, who in their natural state are at a distance from God, and at enmity to him, and who have broken his law, and affronted his justice; Christ stands as a middle person, a daysman between them, and lays his hands upon them both; has to do with things pertaining to the glory of God, and makes reconciliation for the sins of the people; brings them that were afar off nigh to God, and makes peace for them by the blood of his cross, by fulfilling the law, and satisfying justice for them; in consequence of this he appears for them in the court of heaven, intercedes and pleads for them, is their advocate, and sees that all covenant blessings, of which he is the Mediator, are applied unto them, and preserves their persons, which are committed to his care and charge, safe to everlasting happiness; and this Mediator is

the man Christ Jesus;
not that he is a mere man, for he is truly and properly God; or that he is a Mediator only according to the human nature: it was proper indeed that he should be man, that he might have something to offer, and that he might be capable of obeying, suffering, and dying, and so of making satisfaction in the nature that had sinned; but then, had he not been God, he could not have drawn nigh to God on the behalf of men, and undertook for them, and much less have performed; nor would his blood, righteousness, and sacrifice, have been available to cleanse from sin, to procure the pardon of it, justify from it, make atonement for it, or make peace with God: the reason why he is particularly mentioned as man, is, with a view to the argument in hand, praying for all men; since he who is the Mediator between God and man, has assumed a nature which is common to them all: and this Mediator is said to be one, not so much in opposition to other mediators, angels or saints departed, though it is a truth, and stands full against them, but with respect to men; there is but one Mediator between God and all sorts of men, through whom both Jews and Gentiles have an access to God, and peace with him; and therefore prayer through this Mediator should be made for all. So the Jews say of the Messiah F21, that he is (yeuma la) , "a Mediator, God", a middle person between God and men. And they call him (atyeumad adwme) , "the Pillar of mediation" F23 or the middle Pillar; that is, the Mediator or Reconciler. And Philo F24 the Jew speaks of the word, as (mesov) , a "middle" person, and standing in the middle between the dead and the living, and between God and men. The Ethiopic version here renders it, "there is one elect of God"; which is one of the characters of the Messiah, ( Isaiah 42:1 ) .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:48 PM

37,347 posts, read 28,428,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Faith study Bible:

Alludes to the Jewish prayer called the Shema (see Deut 6:4 and note; compare 1 Cor 8:6 and note). Paul draws on this prayer to highlight God’s universal reign; because there is only one God, He is the God of all people (1 Tim 2:3–4).
The Shema affirms the uniqueness of God over and against other gods—those worshiped by Israel’s neighbors. The false teachers may have used this prayer as an excuse to exclude people from the gospel. God desires all people to be saved, and He is the only one who can save (Acts 4:12).
“The Lord is One”: All and Only S:SLJ
Shema JPSGJT
Monotheism EDB
mediator A person who negotiates reconciliation between two parties in conflict. The need for a mediator testifies to the sinfulness of humanity, while the provision of a mediator demonstrates the kindness of God.
Mediator EDBT
Mediator DDD
the man Christ Jesus Paul refers to Jesus as a “man” here to stress His full identification with humanity. Because He was fully human, Christ was able to mediate on behalf of humanity and offer Himself as a ransom for humanity. Jesus’ role in this passage recalls Paul’s description of Jesus as a second Adam (e.g., Rom 5:12–21; 1 Cor 15:45–49).

John Darby

For there is one God
This does not so much regard the unity of God, with respect to himself, or his divine essence, though that is a truth; but does not carry in it any apparent and forcible reason why all men should be prayed for, for which it is produced; but the unity of God with respect to men, as that there is but one God, who is the Creator of all men, and who, in a providential way, is the Saviour of all men; and in a way of special grace is the one God, the one covenant God of all sorts of men, of Jews and Gentiles; for he has taken of the latter into the covenant of his grace, as well as the former, and has loved them with a special and distinguishing love, has chosen them in Christ to salvation, and has sent his Son to redeem them; and of these he calls by his grace, regenerates, sanctifies, adopts, pardons, and justifies; see ( Romans 3:29 Romans 3:30 ) and therefore all sorts of men, Gentiles as well as Jews, are to be prayed for: another argument follows,

and one Mediator between God and men;
a Mediator is of more than one, and has to do with two parties; and these at variance among themselves, between whom he stands as a middle person; his business is to bring them together, and make peace between them; and such an one is Christ: the two parties are God and his elect, who in their natural state are at a distance from God, and at enmity to him, and who have broken his law, and affronted his justice; Christ stands as a middle person, a daysman between them, and lays his hands upon them both; has to do with things pertaining to the glory of God, and makes reconciliation for the sins of the people; brings them that were afar off nigh to God, and makes peace for them by the blood of his cross, by fulfilling the law, and satisfying justice for them; in consequence of this he appears for them in the court of heaven, intercedes and pleads for them, is their advocate, and sees that all covenant blessings, of which he is the Mediator, are applied unto them, and preserves their persons, which are committed to his care and charge, safe to everlasting happiness; and this Mediator is

the man Christ Jesus;
not that he is a mere man, for he is truly and properly God; or that he is a Mediator only according to the human nature: it was proper indeed that he should be man, that he might have something to offer, and that he might be capable of obeying, suffering, and dying, and so of making satisfaction in the nature that had sinned; but then, had he not been God, he could not have drawn nigh to God on the behalf of men, and undertook for them, and much less have performed; nor would his blood, righteousness, and sacrifice, have been available to cleanse from sin, to procure the pardon of it, justify from it, make atonement for it, or make peace with God: the reason why he is particularly mentioned as man, is, with a view to the argument in hand, praying for all men; since he who is the Mediator between God and man, has assumed a nature which is common to them all: and this Mediator is said to be one, not so much in opposition to other mediators, angels or saints departed, though it is a truth, and stands full against them, but with respect to men; there is but one Mediator between God and all sorts of men, through whom both Jews and Gentiles have an access to God, and peace with him; and therefore prayer through this Mediator should be made for all. So the Jews say of the Messiah F21, that he is (yeuma la) , "a Mediator, God", a middle person between God and men. And they call him (atyeumad adwme) , "the Pillar of mediation" F23 or the middle Pillar; that is, the Mediator or Reconciler. And Philo F24 the Jew speaks of the word, as (mesov) , a "middle" person, and standing in the middle between the dead and the living, and between God and men. The Ethiopic version here renders it, "there is one elect of God"; which is one of the characters of the Messiah, ( Isaiah 42:1 ) .
I am not interested in what you have been taught of men, especially one of the founding fathers of bible fundamentalism. I want you to answer . I could just as easy copy and paste Jesus is not God or the false teaching of the trinity links

Why would the man Christ Jesus(1 Tim 2:5) call "God" is Father ? . ..... When Jesus said if you have seen me you have seen the Father, seen what ?, he obviously was not meaning his outward appearance. Without fail Jesus referred to God in him,he even said why call me good there is none good but God. Quoting scripture without expounding on them does not cut it.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:54 PM

I Timothy 2:5:
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:00 PM

Why do you believe in Jesus Christ ?.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:06 PM

1,183 posts, read 542,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Why do you believe in Jesus Christ ?.
Did you answer my question? This how we converse openly.

Luke 20

I will also ask you a question,” Jesus replied. “Tell Me: 4John’s baptism—was it from heaven, or from men?”

5They deliberated among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ He will ask, ‘Why did you not believe him?’ 6But if we say, ‘From men,’ all the people will stone us, for they are convinced that John was a prophet.”

7So they answered that they did not know where it was from.

8And Jesus replied, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.”

Old 03-16-2018, 09:08 PM

11,972 posts, read 3,795,066 times
Quote:
Well, you sound a bit like Dirty Harry.

This passage may or may not pertain to you. But you can imagine that many of the Elect believe these are the End Times.

Do you believe that Jesus is God sharing the exact same attributes as the Father?

Timothy 4:1
Warnings against False Teachers
1Now the Spirit expressly states that in later times some will abandon the faith to follow deceitful spirits and the teachings of demons, 2influenced by the hypocrisy of liars, whose consciences are seared with a hot iron
The latter times started 2000 years ago.....

Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Did you answer my question? This how we converse openly.

Luke 20

I will also ask you a question,” Jesus replied. “Tell Me: 4John’s baptism—was it from heaven, or from men?”

5They deliberated among themselves and said, “If we say, ‘From heaven,’ He will ask, ‘Why did you not believe him?’ 6But if we say, ‘From men,’ all the people will stone us, for they are convinced that John was a prophet.”

7So they answered that they did not know where it was from.

8And Jesus replied, “Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things.”
Yes we converse, we do not ask disrespectful questions. What is your question? So far you have asked me 1 question, the other question is bang out of order and revealed the spirit you are of.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:25 PM

88,946 posts, read 85,475,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I was speaking of God. Is God pure?
OK, I was focusing on the conversation over the word "holy" and didn't see your context.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:49 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,478,062 times
Quote:
You don’t believe Jesus is God.
Is Jesus God?

Depends on who you ask; there are those who believe he is One of three?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Is Jesus God?

Depends on who you ask; there are those who believe he is One of three?
He doesn't know the difference between man and God ... 2000 years ago he would have been side by side with the pharisees rejecting a man with a beard because he spoke of union with the Father, like them he can't see beyond a man with a beard to see God. Yet there were some that saw beyond the man with a beard and saw God.

He doesn't believe man can be God but the man Jesus can be. Who Jesus Christ is need revaluating, how can a human being called Jesus Christ be in a believer?.

At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. John 14:20

Know you not that Jesus Christ is in you
2 Cor 13:5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity