Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 04:20 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,626,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Sure, He did.

Luke 9

21 But He warned them and instructed them not to tell this to anyone, 22 saying, “The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed and be raised up on the third day.”

I do not see one word that says cross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 04:30 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,825,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do not see one word that says cross.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:36 PM

88,732 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Numbers is like my favorite book, there is more magic in the book of Numbers than most books. It is truly a magical, spiritual book.
Ha, good. Maybe you can show me, because it just looks like a lot of...numbers...to me.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:

You are seeing something that is not written in your quote. The word cross is not there and never mentioned by Jesus.

Don't you read your Bible?

Old 07-05-2018, 04:52 PM

88,732 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So in other words, you do have a low view of it. Meaning you don't believe it to be the inspired Word of God. A "high view", theologically speaking doesn't mean you just have a favorable opinion of it, it means you view it to be no different than Harry Potter, or The Hunger Games novels. You believe it to be just a collection of stories.
Please stop trying to peg me into the little boxes of your imagination.

I've said this time and again on here. The Bible is made up of writings of men trying to explain/reach/understand God, in addition to the history of a specific culture in a specific time that sought God and defined themselves by their approach to God.

In that way they are different from Harry Potter or the Hunger Games, whose authors never intended them to be anything but entertainment. Those books DO contain truths, though, about human nature, which is why they were so popular (I have not read any of them, and I only saw one Harry Potter movie, but I know the gist of what they are about.)

Another way in which such books differ from the Bible is that they are comprehensive, complete, linear stories. The Bible is a collection of poems, cultural histories, poetry, words of prophets, letters, books shaded in code--and the incomplete and contradictory yet intriguing story of someone who said that God is within us all and that caring for one another is the only way to live.

Old 07-05-2018, 04:58 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,825,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You are seeing something that is not written in your quote. The word cross is not there and never mentioned by Jesus.

Don't you read your Bible?
On the other hand, Jesus did speak about His impending death and what it’s purpose was (forgiveness of sins). I assume you will admit to that. No?

Old 07-05-2018, 05:08 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
If you claim the same thing Christians claim, then no Christian can say anything to you anyway, that is, if their claim is that God put the laws in every man's heart, you are a law unto yourself. The proof is that the Christian has no law, there is no law that they can hand you to say,'' Keep these laws, do this, or don't do that.''

There is no law for them, why should there be a law for you?
So, Hanni, which is worse: to be lawless or to be unprincipled? Does a man with strong principles need laws to do what is right?

Old 07-05-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, Jesus did speak about His impending death and what it’s purpose was (forgiveness of sins). I assume you will admit to that. No?

Where does Jesus mention the cross? You seem to be unable to answer this. No other hand jimmi.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:21 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,242,237 times
Quote:

You're cute when you side-shuffle and duck.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:43 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,273,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Nope
Yep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity