Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2018, 09:34 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
That's why it's good to actually read what God says, and not base our religion off of the silly superstitions of men.
We don't have anything to read that's actually what God says. That's the basic error in your thinking, your belief that God wrote a book (or dictated one).

Do read what other men's perceptions of God were. Understand the context in which they were written, and take from those words what you can with a discerning mind, but eventually close the book, and commune with God from your soul and seek the truth. It is deeper and farther-reaching than anything you can find in the words of men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2018, 09:37 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
We don't have anything to read that's actually what God says. That's the basic error in your thinking, your belief that God wrote a book (or dictated one).

Do read what other men's perceptions of God were. Understand the context in which they were written, and take from those words what you can with a discerning mind, but eventually close the book, and commune with God from your soul and seek the truth. It is deeper and farther-reaching than anything you can find in the words of men.

Your spirit has evolved.

Those of fundies are still in the primeval soup stage.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:41 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:

I'm appreciating your responses in this thread very much, MQ.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:50 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
We know that Scripture is inspired. We don't believe that he wrote it, or that he dictated it. He inspired it. Again...you seem to be pretty good about giving your opinion about what we believe, but you are woefully bad about saying what we actually believe.
Quote:
No. I'd rather not read the perceptions of men that were not inspired by God.

Old 07-05-2018, 09:57 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
We know that Scripture is inspired. We don't believe that he wrote it, or that he dictated it. He inspired it. Again...you seem to be pretty good about giving your opinion about what we believe, but you are woefully bad about saying what we actually believe.
Well, no, quite a few of your same-thinking comrades here do believe that God more or less whispered the words into the minds of the writers and that the words are therefore to be taken literally. What exactly then do YOU mean by "inspired", if not that? And do you not concede that other writers outside the the biblical writings can also be inspired?

Because, and you can take this with as much of a grain of salt as you like, but I am serious--I have written things that I believe were inspired by something larger than me. All people who practice the craft of writing can tell you of the experience of setting down words and not knowing exactly from whence they came. I am, of course, not expecting my words to be considering holy writ, but sometimes there has been a message I wanted to get out, and sometimes, it has been well-received. I would not say such words were God's Words, although I would say they were inspired.

Quote:
No. I'd rather not read the perceptions of men that were not inspired by God.
Not sure what you are getting at here. That is not a logical response to what you quoted. I was referring to the Bible. You didn't understand that?

Old 07-05-2018, 10:00 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Quote:

I didn't. Your point is that no one would know about Jesus without the Scriptures, and I demonstrated that you are wrong.

Of course, no one would know YOUR version of Jesus without the Scriptures, so I can concede that.
You said those people had the writings of Thomas, about Jesus. While that’s not in the Bible, it’s still writings about Jesus.

We can know about our Creator God by the world around us. However, we cannot know specifically about Jesus, His mission, His words, miracles, and healings, without Scripture.

There is no my version of Jesus. Typical liberal deflection.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:05 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Well, no, quite a few of your same-thinking comrades here do believe that God more or less whispered the words into the minds of the writers and that the words are therefore to be taken literally. What exactly then do YOU mean by "inspired", if not that? And do you not concede that other writers outside the the biblical writings can also be inspired?

Because, and you can take this with as much of a grain of salt as you like, but I am serious--I have written things that I believe were inspired by something larger than me. All people who practice the craft of writing can tell you of the experience of setting down words and not knowing exactly from whence they came. I am, of course, not expecting my words to be considering holy writ, but sometimes there has been a message I wanted to get out, and sometimes, it has been well-received. I would not say such words were God's Words, although I would say they were inspired.

Not sure what you are getting at here. That is not a logical response to what you quoted. I was referring to the Bible. You didn't understand that?
I was under the impression you were saying we shouldn't read the Bible. You seem to have a very low view of it.

I see what you're asking now--do I study the Word of God in context, understanding the culture? Sure. Of course. That's called hermeneutics.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:32 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
If we Christians acted more like Christ, and were less hateful and judgmental, and loved like we were supposed to love - there probably wouldn't be anti-Christian bigots.
Nor would there be evangelical Christian bigots.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You said those people had the writings of Thomas, about Jesus. While that’s not in the Bible, it’s still writings about Jesus.

We can know about our Creator God by the world around us. However, we cannot know specifically about Jesus, His mission, His words, miracles, and healings, without Scripture.

There is no my version of Jesus. Typical liberal deflection.
Is your version, aka interpretation of Jesus the same as mine? If not then there is a “your version” and a God’s version huh?

Old 07-05-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
That's why it's good to actually read what God says, and not base our religion off of the silly superstitions of men.
Isn’t most of the Bible based on the silly superstitions of ancient men?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity