Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 02:37 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,451,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Religious people used to believe that thunder storms and lightning bolts were directed by God to "discipline" his servants and teach them important lessons. Have you ever thought about investing in a lightning rod?
Some people believe that but not anyone who actually reads the Bible with comprehension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Job lot
At my age that is better than lots of jobs.

Old 04-11-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Aye, and according to Lynne Chenney, wife of VP Dick Chenney, one of the primary reasons we have freedom of religion is because James Madison, one of our primary founders of the Constitution, had what appears to have been epilepsy---thought of as demon possession in those days.

But never ever think that the uber religious will not find a way to demonize other people---and always about a "sin" that they themselves haven't fallen into.

Now if the ultra conservative churches wanted a sin to work on that inflicts almost 35% of us---it would be gluttony. Let me think of the last time I heard a sermon in church about gluttony-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------thought long and hard---NEVER. But those four percent of Americans who were born homosexual, and only a small percentage who ever attend churches that demonize them----several times a year.

What it is, even if those fundamentalists believe it-----is hypocrisy because they are generally hypocrites.

And that's a "Truth," they will never be able to face, and therefore their conscience is "seared."
Yes some religious people have morals and ignore them. Then those with no religious briefs are amoral and have no morals at all and don't care.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:59 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,063,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was thinking about this today and was wondering what people in other towns thought about this event when it happened, surely some knew people from there or even had relatives/ friends that may have been there at the time. Im curious if people were in mourning over the destruction or if they recognized why it happened, who had done it, etc. Maybe some thought it was a natural disaster?

I assume if God did such a thing today, a large majority of people would be mourning the loss of life, and probably be outraged that God did such a thing in the first place, I have a feeling anyone that claimed to be followers of the God responsible for this, would be instantly demonized, they would be guilty of hate crimes and much more!

Would it even be a good thing in Gods eyes, for people to mourn the loss of life in this event, or would that be seen as blasphemous as God is the one who destroyed the cities?
It's interesting to note that after Lot saw it happened, he decided to stay in the hill country nearby. He didn't take off and run away. He seemed to just sit and sulk.

It's reasonable to think that the other peoples in the area around Sodom and Gomorrah were also wicked people.

Old 04-11-2018, 04:57 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,733,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes some religious people have morals and ignore them. Then those with no religious briefs are amoral and have no morals at all and don't care.
I guess I fall into the "amoral" group because I have no religious "briefs." Does Walmart sell them the same way fundamentalist pastors have specials on "gays" but not on gluttony?

Old 04-11-2018, 05:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,416,756 times
Quote:
Religious people used to believe that thunder storms and lightning bolts were directed by God to "discipline" his servants and teach them important lessons. Have you ever thought about investing in a lightning rod?
Quote:
Some people believe that but not anyone who actually reads the Bible with comprehension.
Quote:
Quote:
I guess I fall into the "amoral" group because I have no religious "briefs." Does Walmart sell them the same way fundamentalist pastors have specials on "gays" but not on gluttony?
I suppose you will have to pull those religious briefs ...over your head to believe everything smells right.

(Laughing out loud)

Old 04-11-2018, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Those who put one wrong above another are not speaking from God's point of view, just what they think. They are not teaching from God's word, just their own.

Now some peoples beliefs are "brief" and they expose them a lot.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I suppose you will have to pull those religious briefs ...over your head to believe everything smells right.

(Laughing out loud)
Only your own "briefs". No one else wants to smell them.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:50 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:

(Laughing out loud)

Oxiclean can even clean the briefs of the fearful, you just have to admiit you are a sinner then your briefs feel like heaven.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:55 PM

1,183 posts, read 539,324 times
Leviticus. You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

This ties into Romans 1

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity