Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 08:04 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times

Advertisements

Sad how fundies have elevated ignorance to a virtue and how they fight so hard to maintain it in an increasingly educated, intelligent world.

But glad they're headed for extinction within a couple of generations.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 10:56 AM

6,798 posts, read 2,914,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Sad how fundies have elevated ignorance to a virtue and how they fight so hard to maintain it in an increasingly educated, intelligent world.

But glad they're headed for extinction within a couple of generations.

My goodness. A couple of generations? By then, according to some, I'll have been residing in hell for decades toasting my weenies (that's frankfurters, by the way) on the glowing coals.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:26 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,056,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
My goodness. A couple of generations? By then, according to some, I'll have been residing in hell for decades toasting my weenies (that's frankfurters, by the way) on the glowing coals.
Theys a good barbecue at the bottom of them stairs there...

Old 05-01-2018, 12:27 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
There is one truth, one religion that has Jesus.
God does not, neither has he ever desired a religion, he is merely interested in a relationship.
And you do not get to define the parameters of that relationship, according to your religion.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:19 PM

63,849 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
God does not, neither has he ever desired a religion, he is merely interested in a relationship.
And you do not get to define the parameters of that relationship, according to your religion.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:24 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,921,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

The Israelites were Gods religion in the OT--Judaism. No others on earth had the true God. Jesus speaks to 7 congregations in revelation proving he started one single religion-Acts 24:5)1Cor 1:10)-- not the religion that came out of Rome.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:14 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,676,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Yes, they do. They refer to temple prostitution affiliated with the worship practices of idols, i.e. idolatry.
1 Tim 1? No, but feel free to believe anything you want.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I'm sure he's delighted to receive your permission.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Yes, they do. They refer to temple prostitution affiliated with the worship practices of idols, i.e. idolatry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Well, 1 Timothy is as vague as many of the other New Testament scriptures as to what PRECISELY Paul is talking about. We simply don't know. Paul is responding to matters that we are not privvy to. We only read his responses without knowing exactly WHAT subject matter he's responding to. Reading Paul's letters is rather like hearing one end of a telephone conversation. We may get the gist of the subject matter being discussed from 'our end' of the conversation, and we may be able to piece things together to a point, but we don't get the full picture because we're only hearing one half of the conversation.

It would have been handy for Paul to have explained to WE in the 21st Century precisely the subject matter to which he's responding. But, he didn't do so ...even though professed Christians today appear to believe that Paul WAS writing his epistles for US. He was not! That Paul's writings often ARE so vague should tell us that they are NOT meant for we of today but rather SOLELY for those to whom he wrote his epistles.

AND SO ...since we DO know from letters contained in Romans (Romans 1:18-27), where idolatry and associated sexual rituals are being discussed, that any further references to sexual and other perceived (by Paul) 'deviances' would invariably be referring to the same thing. As mentioned before, Paul is talking about the early Christian Church and the 'goings on' within that church structure as well as comparing behavior of the new converts with that of the pagan religions in the same area. We need to remember that 'Christianity' was in its infancy and many of the 'new converts' would not have been catching on too quickly.

Again, attempting to apply Paul's letters that were aimed directly at a particular Church or individual to we today in the 21st Century is ludicrous. This was NEVER meant to be.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm sure he's delighted to receive your permission.
Oh, I am, to be sure . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity