Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:59 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I hear the expression: I'M SAVED or HAVE YOU BEEN SAVED. What exactly does that mean to most Fundamentalists?
So, you open a thread to educate people of the "the mind of a Christian Fundamentalist", and then you have to ask such basic question......wow.

"But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 11:05 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you open a thread to educate people of the "the mind of a Christian Fundamentalist", and then you have to ask such basic question......wow.

"But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"
So is your objection that he claims to know what people think or that he doesn't know so he asks for other viewpoints?

Old 05-16-2018, 12:19 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:

My understanding of that phrase, "the right to become children of God" does not seem to match what fundamentalist I have met mean by "saved," sO I would like to know what that means to you in your own words, Finn.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:32 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
I hear the expression: I'M SAVED or HAVE YOU BEEN SAVED.

What exactly does that mean to most Fundamentalists?
Quote:

I know whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is already condemned, because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. So, what are you saved from? What is this condemnation?

Old 05-16-2018, 03:31 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:

But as usual you fail to answer a basic question thinking by doing so you are hiding what is in the mind of fundamentalist, which in your case on this thread is clearly to defend fundamentalism.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:19 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,148 times
Quote:
I hear the expression: I'M SAVED or HAVE YOU BEEN SAVED.

What exactly does that mean to most Fundamentalists?
My favourite is I Found Jesus. Whenever I hear that, or someone asks me if I found Jesus I always look directly at them and say I Didn't Know He Was Lost.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
My understanding of that phrase, "the right to become children of God" does not seem to match what fundamentalist I have met mean by "saved," sO I would like to know what that means to you in your own words, Finn.
It is what it means. Those people received Him and believed in His name, and they became His children. They acknowledged Him as the savior, repented their sins and were saved. Do not hesitate the read the verses about the thief on the cross, or the wedding parable. The odd thing is that this has been discussed to no end and Jerwade and yourself still dont know what it means.

"But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God."

Jesus also talked about being born again. What does that mean? It is mentioned above. You are born of God. It is also explained below. You become a new person.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation"

So, now you know what is means to be saved. You become a child of God and you are "in Christ". You are reconciled to God.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 05-16-2018 at 06:53 AM..

Old 05-16-2018, 06:42 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
Quote:
The author of that article is as ignorant of fundamentalism as most in this forum are.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Indeed. Confirms my thinking that fear is the root of fundamentalism. They are frightened into believing and remain too frightened to question those beliefs.

And the fact remains that simple-minded people prefer a simple, black and white world, with easy-to-follow directions. Hence the appeal to the barely-literate, ill-educated crowd.

All they need to do is: remember to say the Magic Words To Jesus - parrot what their minister says the bible says - and hate on gays.
I am glad you agree with him. He is as ignorant of fundamentalism as you are. Proving ignorance is bliss.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Copied from the link

Basically, the Evangelical Christian has two powerful things controlling his/her mind and emotions – the fear of eternal punishment in hell and the reward of eternal paradise in heaven. Those are essentially the two most powerful things that can control someone’s mind, period. They are the ultimate brainwashing tools ever designed

What i cannot understand about the mind of the evangelical fundamentalist that proudly declares that they only believe what is is the bible, base this being saved from hell lark, on something that is not in the bible. Weird.

The truth is you make up your own non-Biblical theology.

What do we believe that is not in the Bible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity