Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2018, 09:56 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,029,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I’ve already determined you are unable or unwilling to answer my question. I’m trying to get answer from Clement or maybe pneuma.
I do not blame you for not wanting to tell us what the Saviour of the whole world was discussing in this "parable". It will blow your socks off and a whole lot more.

As for your question>>>>Rose is unable and unwilling to address your question. It is far too profound for my limited grasp.

What qualifies one to be a sheep? (Nation)

What qualifies one to be a goat?
(Nation)

******(According to the context of Matt:25)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 09:59 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
I do not blame you for not wanting to tell us what the Saviour of the whole world was discussing in this "parable". It will blow your socks off and a whole lot more.

As for your question>>>>Rose is unable and unwilling to address your question. It is far too profound for my limited grasp.
You’re trying to change the subject. I’m not surprised. At least you’re honest about your inability to answer my question.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
You’re trying to change the subject. I’m not surprised. At least you’re honest about your inability to answer my question.
You big silly...step one: go to the o.p. and tell us what the subject of this thread is. Seems in my limited grasp the questions are dead on the subject!

What qualifies one to be a goat? (Nation)

Old 06-15-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Our life in Christ is much more then aionios life

MUCH MORE then aionios life
Many of God people believe aionios life is the fullness of life in Christ, and because of this error they have a hard time answering the eternal punishment and eternal life scriptures.
They will state such things as aionios can mean something different within one sentence, and it subject determines the fullness or lack thereof of the meaning.
But we need not change the meaning of aionios in such a fashion to understand Gods eternal (as in without beginning and without end) being. For there are other words in scripture to show forth Gods eternal (as in without beginning and without end) being.
Before I show how God is eternal in the sense of without beginning and without end lets look at a few more scriptures that will help the reader understand aionios only means age-lasting and is of limited duration.
The Hebrew word for aionios is olam, so lets look at a few scriptures from the old testament.
Habakkuk 3:6
6 He stood, and measured the earth: he beheld, and drove asunder the nations; and the everlasting mountains were scattered, the perpetual hills did bow: his ways are everlasting.
The reader can see here that both the hills and Gods ways are everlasting. So if olam or aionios in the Greek means without beginning and without end then the hills had no beginning and will have no end, but we know that the hills have a beginning and we no that they have an end because they bow down.
Now the only way for those who believe olam means eternal can get around this is to say olam means one thing in the first part of the sentence and means something else in the second part of the sentence. *
Psalm 41:13
13 Blessed be the LORD God of Israel from everlasting, and to everlasting. Amen, and Amen.
Psalm 90:1-2
1 Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations. 2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.
Here the reader can see God is from olam/aionios to olam/aionios.
If olam/aionios means without beginning and without end then these scripture makes absolutely no sense, for can there be more then ONE eternity? Hardly, so the reader cans see olam/aionios is used in the limited sense of age-lasting.
So the reader can see olam/aionios means age-lasting and is always used in a limited sense.
But some will say if it is always used in a limited sense then that would mean aionios life is also limited in duration. This is CORRECT, aionios life is of limited duration.
I already know many will say that’s blaspheme, but bare with me for a few more moments if you will.
Lets go back to Ps.90 for a moment and read it again.
Psalm 90:1-2
1 Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations. 2 Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.
We have already seen olam/aionios is of limited duration, but what else does this scripture tell us? It tells us that the LIFE of God is GREATER then that of olam/aionios, for God is FROM olam/aionios TO olam/aionios.
The Life of God and of Christ is not just olam/aionios but their LIFE is MORE then that, yea MUCH MORE. Their LIFE exceeds the olam/aionios life just as a week exceeds a day, a month exceeds a week and a year exceeds a month, so to does the LIFE of God in Christ exceed olam/aionios LIFE.
The error both camps fall into is the belief that aionios life is all the life there is in God and Christ. But as the reader just read God is FROM olam/aionios TO olam/aionios, thus is it not then clear that we to in Christ are given a LIFE far greater then just olam/aionios LIFE.
Lets read in Hebrew and you will see Christ life (and therefore ours) exceeds that of olam/aionios life.
Hebrews 7:16
16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life.
Akatalutos-Endless: indissoluble, not subject to destruction
From the root of A or Alpha: Christ is the Alpha to indicate that he is the beginning and the end
Now as Akatalutos-Endless clearly shows that of a life without end, why did not the writers of the scriptures use Akatalutos concerning punishment and life instead of olam/aionios? Is it not because olam/aionios is of limited duration?
What we receive in Christ is a AKATALUTOS/ENDLESS LIFE, a life that spans EVERY olam/aionios age-lasting life. Just as Gods life is FROM olam/aionios TO olam/aionios so to is ours in Christ.
Lets read in Pet. To further see this life we are to inherit that is MUCH MORE then olam/aionios life.
1 Peter 1:3-4
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
Aphthartos-incorruptible: uncorrupted, not liable to corruption or decay, imperishable
Again From the root of A or Alpha: Christ is the Alpha to indicate that he is the beginning and the end
Amarantos-fadeth not away: not fading away, unfading, perennial
Again From the root of A or Alpha: Christ is the Alpha to indicate that he is the beginning and the end
Can not the reader see here just how much more grand our life is in Christ then just olam/aionios age-abiding life?
These are just a few examples of how MUCH MORE our life in Christ is then olam/aionios life.
If punishment was to be eternal in the sense of without beginning and without end surely the Holy Spirit would have use one of the words expressed above to show this, but NEVER is any of these words that express endlessness EVER used in the punishments of God.
Praise God there is MUCH MORE to life in Christ then just that of olam/aionios life, and it is because so many of God people do not realise this that they fall into the error of changing the meaning of words within the same sentence.
Brothers and sister there is absolutely no need to do this if one can but see the life we have in Christ is MUCH MORE then olam/aionios life.
Even FROM everlasting TO everlasting, thou art God.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:32 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Only one use of the word ἀΐδιος is used to refer to God. The other refers to chains.
It has to do with his eternal (aidios) power and divine nature, not literal chains.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
You big silly...step one: go to the o.p. and tell us what the subject of this thread is. Seems in my limited grasp the questions are dead on the subject!

What qualifies one to be a goat? (Nation)

This thread, like all the others you’ve started, is about whether Hell is eternal.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:41 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,389,775 times
Quote:
I’ve already determined you are unable or unwilling to answer my question. I’m trying to get answer from Clement or maybe pneuma.
Hi Jimmie, I must have missed your question, can you re-post it or give the the post number.

Old 06-15-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Hi Jimmie, I must have missed your question, can you re-post it or give the the post number.
Universalists say Hell is not eternal (I know some say non-existent). If the same Greek word is used for the length of Heaven and Hell, will Heaven also be temporary? If so, what will happen to us when Heaven ceases to exist?

Old 06-15-2018, 11:51 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,389,775 times
Quote:
Universalists say Hell is not eternal (I know some say non-existent). If the same Greek word is used for the length of Heaven and Hell, will Heaven also be temporary? If so, what will happen to us when Heaven ceases to exist?
can you supply the scripture that says heaven is eternal/aion/aionios

Old 06-15-2018, 12:02 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
That is irrelevant to the meaning of aionios in ancient Koine Greek which is the Greek language of the New Testament. Modern Greek is not Koine Greek.

For evidence that the ancient Koine Greek word aionios is used of finite durations, see my post here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/chris...l-ancient.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
It is not irrelevant, we have kept the meaning because it meant eternal then as it does now.

And even in your link you show ignorance. Just some examples as my time is my money.

Jude does not use αἰωνίου for the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, but for the punishment of the population of those towns.

John Chrysostom uses αἰωνίου to mean an age but qualifies it to avoid confusion. That is what people did when they meant an age instead of eternal.

Romans 16:25 does not need to clarify as the plural tells us what is meant. But note the next verse uses αἰωνίου for eternal.

2 Timothy 1:9, and Titus 1:2 both use the word to mean eternal. An age makes no sense in those passages. That eternity had a beginning is irrelevant because that is what the Jews thought. You are just trying to conflate eternal or everlasting with infinite.
Show me the historical proof of your statement:

"We have kept the meaning because it meant eternal then as it does now."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity